What do you think?

Options
marvda1
marvda1 Posts: 4,871
Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
Puritan PSM156

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    I wanna know who does his hair
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Options
    he was working on a tube amp while it was on :D
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    Looks like a Brillo pad toupee.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Coming from a well known "big corporate" that has a history of purchasing brands to leverage their "legacy," I have to say I fully agree with his point about the big brands being the most known, but not the best. I also love his point about following the engineers and designers. Elac is probably the only major global brand leveraging this concept and "celebritizing" Andrew Jones.

It's a simple formula really. Aside from the build and everything, all that marketing costs money. Costs ad dollars, hiring designers, marketing staff, agencies, etc. Plus big corporate also tends to offer above average pay, great benefits, and more resources. If all that money went straight into the products, they'd be insane.

But it's a double edged sword. The industry needs those big brands to some extent to help make enough noise to bring in foot traffic at big shows and keep the traditional audio media funded. Luckily the internet is quickly shifting this formula. Those big names also can get new folks into dealers, or even looking at hifi in the big box stores like Best Buy Magnolia, Nebraska Furniture etc.

The last point is that I really like is that these brands aren't terrible. They aren't. Some are making really really killer products, and they stand up well when compared in a vacuum. And in the entry level especially they can make some true class leading (new) products. But that doesn't mean dollar for dollar it's your best value, especially as you go higher up. When the prices come into the mix is when you really start to see boutique brands shine in many (not all) cases.

Overall, solid advice. Maybe a little bias, but certainly good points overall.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs