Van Morrison's latest

Record just arrived here at work. Looking forward to running this thru my cleaning process and giving it a spin. Being 2 records will give me ample opportunities to refresh my beverage of choice. :)
Reviews are mostly positive...anybody here heard/getting it?
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Thanks for posting, didn't even know about it. Will check it out. Let us know your impressions please
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    wow, what is he up to, about 45 albums now?
  • If you don't mind please post a review.

One of my favorites is "Them" featuring Van Morrison.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    2 record !?!?!? My cd arrived yesterday and it’s on one disc (14 tracks). How many songs on the vinyl?
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,653
    Please let us know how the vinyl sounds. I was very disappointed in the re-release of “The Healing Game” recently, which I waited years for.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,969
    Hope to give this a listen tonight or tomorrow. Looks like there are about 3 songs on each side and there is a printing of all the lyrics. Other than the records being in paper liners, the packaging is good. Actual records are supposed to be white, more like translucent.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • muncybob
    Well, after some recent storms my listening session was delayed due to an apparent current surge that took out several items but I never leave my rig plugged into an outlet...whew!

There are 3 songs on 2 sides and 4 songs on the other 2. Van set the bar extremely high for me many years ago with Moondance, Astral Weeks, etc and the like and I have learned not to expect an album like those....and this release is no exception.

However, if you like his style then you'll enjoy this album. There is a mixture of jazz and rhythm & blues along with some toe tapping R&R here. I would say that I really enjoyed about 75% of the tunes here and with continued listening I think the other 25% would grow on me. He's still somewhat cynical(as usual) but not overbearing. A few songs remind me of his "classic years"(as noted above). I would recommend this to anyone that enjoys his music and certainly to any collectors of his work.
  • muncybob
    Forgot to mention that the sound quality is top notch. The records are heavy(at least 180g). Instruments are clearly defined and placed even when a lot is going on, good sound stage and Van's vocals are centered, which I prefer to the main singer's vocals being off center.
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    Van is a hit-or-miss live. Both times have been a -miss for me. Although, I am still a fan of his music.
    [
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    miner wrote: »
    Van is a hit-or-miss live. Both times have been a -miss for me. Although, I am still a fan of his music.

Last time I saw him, which was probably five or more years ago on the big stage at the New Orleans Jazzfest, he seemed to be totally bored and just went through the paces, very disappointing. Still going to take a listen to this new one.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,020
    He is certainly notorious for bad, or at least, ill-mannered, live appearances. I gotta put in one good word for him, though. We have friends who saw him in Boston last summer (they've seen him several times before). They said it was a fabulous show -- and he even performed ... Gloria. And apparently willingly, too. This is nigh-on unprecedented, at least for many decades.

Maybe something about being in Boston on a nice summer night...

s99zssk695xj.png