psw 505 no sound

I bought a used polk psw 505 and when I hooked it up it was working and I was adjusting it when I may have increased too much bass when it suddenly stopped. I checked the rca supply output on another woofer and it worked. Green light comes on the back but will not thump or respond to any adjustments. My first thought was it may just need to let it set for awhile to reset. That's what I'm doing while I write this.

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    How far past 12 o'clock on the volume dial did you go? Did you check the fuse?
  • more than likely past 12 as i was fiddling with it. Seems like a fuse problem but where is the fuse?
  • FestYboy
    Directly above the IEC connection on the plate amp. It's in a small drawer.
  • tnt4him
    tnt4him Posts: 7
    edited October 2019
    Would that be for power? I have the green light just no sound? Fuse checks good.
  • FestYboy
    Ok, next, peal back the flange cover of the driver, and remove the driver. Look for loose wires to the speaker. The same can be done for the wires to the plate amp. There is a sealed baffle that separate the amp and driver so you can't see it all from just one side.
  • tnt4him
    tnt4him Posts: 7
    edited October 2019
    Removed the driver, wires connected, wiggle them. pulled the plate amp, checked wires, looked for blown caps, checked all connections very clean. Reassembled and green light comes on and still no sound. The green light means system ok? The speaker is bad?
  • FestYboy
    edited October 2019
    Green means signal present. Have you tried both the stereo and LFE inputs?

Have access to a multi meter? Stepping through the diagnosis process like this will take a little time and patience.
  • I have the RCA plugged into the LFE and have tried the Stereo inputs as well. Negative results. I have a multi meter and some experience in the Navy with electronics. I noticed output jacks so I will see if the signal will pass through them to my other woofer. I notice the green light is on whether the RCA is in or out. Meaning the board is powered but still not processing the signal. I plan to get some 16g wire and hook up the outputs on the AV to the inputs on the woofer. Just curious to see what that does but my suspicion is the board. Amp is working but not processing.
  • FestYboy
    Ok there's one comment you made that changes things a bit: green light on without input. I'm assuming you allowed the amp to go to sleep (15 min) in auto mode, and it won't do it. That, to me, indicates noise from the power supply is creeping into the preamp of the board. When testing the preamp, have the multi meter in AC and look for signal in the milivolt range (auto range function helps here. Or if you can do frequency, look for 60 Hz.

I'll try to pry one of mine apart some time today and post pictures.
  • I will do that test soon. The seller communicated that the board, plate amp is new. I'm asking if it can be warranty. With the green light, it does come on without input in the on position. If it is auto mode it stays red unless I switch to on then its green and stays green even if I place it back to auto mode. I have not tested if auto mode will go to sleep in 15 minutes. Will do soon.
  • I figured it out. Hooked up my old speaker directly to the new plate amp and it worked. Pulled the new speaker off and wiggled the connections and it came to life. What it needed was the connections on the speaker needed to be re-soldered. Cold solder was the problem at the terminals. Thanks for your help in troubleshooting this. Hope our dialogue helps someone else who comes down this path.