Stellar Gain Cell DAC with Hi-Res FLAC Files

DaveHo
DaveHo Posts: 3,471
My Cambridge CXN is connected to the SGC DAC via co-ax digital. The Cambridge correctly identifies hi-res FLAC files located on my NAS as 192/24, 96/24, etc. SGC DAC display reads 44.1 regardless. Via co-ax the Cambridge should be outputting the native resolution up to 192/24. Any other SGC user see this? Is there a setting I've got wrong on the CXN or SGC?

Comments

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    edited October 2019
    delete...I was thinking about DSD...Drew has the best info below.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    edited October 2019
  • DaveHo
    Is the manual wrong? It clearly states the coax inputs are good for up to 192/24. That'd be pathetic if 44.1 is the best it can do on any input except USB.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    My bad...I was thinking about DSD, so edited my initial reply above.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Clipdat
    You might give PS Audio a call.
  • DaveHo
    edited October 2019
    @Clipdat, did you happen to feed the SGC via co-ax? The CXN manual is a little vague on output resolution of the digital outputs, but it's my understanding they simply pass the native file resolution of FLAC files straight through via the co-ax digital while optical is limited to 96/24. I can't image it would down-sample to 44.1, but like I said, the manual is not very clear.
  • Clipdat
    I did feed it via coaxial from my CXN.

I know the CXN does up-sample everything internally and outputs that from it's internal DAC. Are your files truly high res?
  • DaveHo
    Yes, some are from HDTracks & some are DVD-A rips. I have another DAC which also displays input file resolution. I'll feed that from the same co-ax input & see what it says. I'll give the optical connection a shot as well and report back.
  • Clipdat
    I'm thinking it must be something to do with the CXN, there's no menu settings to limit incoming sample rate/bit depth on the SGC.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    CXN does not output over 44.1 via digital.
  • joecoulson
    And just to add, when I got the Auralic, I was able to get 384 from the DAC on the SGC
  • DaveHo
    joecoulson wrote: »
    CXN does not output over 44.1 via digital.

This is the conclusion I've come to as well. Hooked dig coax from Oppo 205 to SGC and was able to get sample rates higher than 44.1 on the SGC display.

I'm guessing the CXN must re-sample everything to 44.1 before it upsamples to 384. This is why only 44.1 is available at the digital outs. A bit of a shortcoming IMHO.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    I don't know that it's a short coming at its price point. It's really intended to be a player more than a transport. I think if you want a streaming transport it's best to move up to a unit that's really intended for that.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • DaveHo
    Well, to my ears, I prefer the SGC DAC over the CXN'S. So it would be nice to stream all content other than DSD via the digital connection. But, since I'll need an analog connection to the SGC for DSD anyway, I guess I'll be streaming anything other than 44.1 content that way.
  • joecoulson
    DSkip wrote: »
    joecoulson wrote: »
    And just to add, when I got the Auralic, I was able to get 384 from the DAC on the SGC

Not via coax.

Yeah, I might have confused myself, I think I was getting that via the Mac to the SGC
    Can’t remember which source but it was definitely usb.
  • joecoulson
    Pound for pound they are a good value for streamers. For someone looking for a good value all inclusive streamer that sounds pretty darn good. But yeah, I agree with you D, not an all in one solution. The screen is such a plus for me. I know they are not necessary, but for me I wouldn’t have a streamer without one.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    My SGC reports properly when streaming flac from my Node 2i on 24/192 material. (via coaxial).
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Looks like you boys found an Achilles heel on that Cambridge. Maybe that's something they can correct in the next model year.

Can't tell me it's because of price either, if the BS node can do it, I would expect a more expensive player like the Cambridge should too. Send some emails to the company and make some noise, I'm wondering if a software update might fix this.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • DaveHo
    I submitted a support request. We'll see what they have to say.