PSA Windom Update

2»

Comments

• JayCeeJayCee Posts: 598
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I have the Directstream DAC and it uses an SD card. I'm not sure they could make it any easier with the "how to" video and easy step by step instruction.

Have you loaded Windom?
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, Perfectwave DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: Core Power Technologies EQUI=CORE 1800 Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends FLAC Streamer: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,382
    Not yet. I'm staying at my dads house while the will will is being executed, so, I just brought an integrated and am using blutooth to stream to the old April Stello DAC...simple and portable.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII Upgraded by Rich Brkich Pre
    Butler Audio TBD 2250 Amp
    PS Audio DirectStream DAC and MemoryPlayer Transport
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Gotcha. Definitely more important things at the moment, so I'll stop bugging you! :blush: You'll have something to look forward to when you return home.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, Perfectwave DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: Core Power Technologies EQUI=CORE 1800 Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends FLAC Streamer: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 5,069
    @JayCee loading Huron and then to Wisdom worked. Seems to have a bit more sparkel on top as well as more depth and clarity.

The update process is easy but maybe there is something with snowmass that doesn't like Wisdom update? No idea. All i know is it worked and i like the improvement.
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11, W4S recovery, Wireworld Platinum Starlight, PS Audio Direct Stream JR.

Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

@erniejade, glad to see you have it updated. Earlier in the week I loaded a previous firmware for comparison to Windom and had a "bad" load going back to Windom. Listened for a bit and it clearly sounded off vs. what I'd heard the past few weeks. Top end was grating for extended listening and soundstage wonky. On my BHK pre anything above 25 severely emphasised the bad. Took my own advice and loaded way back to Pike's Peak, removed the SD card and rebooted twice, consecutively, before it came back. Have decided to leave well enough alone and remain on Windom.
    erniejade wrote: »
    Seems to have a bit more sparkel on top as well as more depth and clarity.

Change in highs aren't that dramatic on my system but noticed the same with respect to clarity. Really easy to hear lyrics and smaller audio cues. Another improvement is off center instrument and performer location. They're really locked in w/respect to soundstage position. Had a jazz listening session and saxaphones sound sweet.

Major breakthrough for SACD DSD rips...now sound 100% better than previous firmware. As I previously stated, I'd kind of written them off. Always appeared overly soft and not as dynamic as I know they should. Standard FLAC rips from the same SACD's gave me more enjoyment. Now, DSD is king and is better than ever.
  • vcwatkinsvcwatkins Posts: 1,921
    Thanks for the advice here guys. I tried to update 3 or 4 weeks ago after seeing this thread but never was successful. Finally had a chance to revisit last night.

Nothing worked until I first reverted to Huron. (I also removed blank spaces from the usb stick name as suggested somewhere, but I don't know if that had any effect.) After that, I was able to update to Windom. The reversion to Huron seems to be a recurring theme in the PSA troubleshooting threads; so if anyone is still having problems, be sure to give this a try.

It's been a while since I've been able to listen to this rig, but the sound seems a bit more lush with added depth. I'm pleased.

Thanks again!

Craig
    Den: Rega RP6 * AT33PTGII * Budgie SUT * Jolida jd9 * Roon (Sonic Transporter) * PS Audio DirectStream Jr. * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Sunfire Signature II * PSAudio PP3 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2
    Study: Roon * Sonore UltraRendu (LPS-1, WW Plat7, Iso Regen, Lush) * ProJect Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * PSA Dectet * DH Labs Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354
    Studio: SBTouch * Marantz 2270 * Polk CRS+(4.1tl)
    Beach: Music Hall MMF5.1se * Speed Box II * DL103r * Lounge Copla/LCRIII * Sonore microRendu * Schiit Yggdrasil * Belles 20a Pre * Pass Aleph 30 / First Watt F5 Clone * PSA Dectet * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl
    Beach Den: Dayens Menuetto * Fostex BK-12m Folded Horn / KEF LS50 / Dynaudio Audience 50 / Revel M22
    Beach Study: LG v30 phone * Schiit Aegir * Zu Omen Dirty W/end
    edited October 31
    Hi Craig (@vcwatkins). Good to see you have it updated. The bouncing around between firmware to get this load to take has been frustrating for many. Hopefully, since Ted, Paul & crew acknowledge the problem and it's getting quite a bit of chatter on the PSA site, they'll do something about it moving forward.
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    It's been a while since I've been able to listen to this rig, but the sound seems a bit more lush with added depth. I'm pleased.
    Looking at the list of gear in your den system I'd say we have a similar sonic signature (minus the vinyl). We both have 1.2's, tubes, digital in the mix, Roon and I have MIT S1 cables. Used to have a Sunfire Sig amp (gave to my daughter) and am familiar with the sound. I'm listening to Beck, Sea Change, a 192/24 Blueray rip, and "lush" is a good way to describe it. :smiley:
    You're obviously a man of great taste, hehe. In gear AND music.
    Den: Rega RP6 * AT33PTGII * Budgie SUT * Jolida jd9 * Roon (Sonic Transporter) * PS Audio DirectStream Jr. * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Sunfire Signature II * PSAudio PP3 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2
    Study: Roon * Sonore UltraRendu (LPS-1, WW Plat7, Iso Regen, Lush) * ProJect Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * PSA Dectet * DH Labs Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354
    Beach: Music Hall MMF5.1se * Speed Box II * DL103r * Lounge Copla/LCRIII * Sonore microRendu * Schiit Yggdrasil * Belles 20a Pre * Pass Aleph 30 / First Watt F5 Clone * PSA Dectet * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl
    Beach Den: Dayens Menuetto * Fostex BK-12m Folded Horn / KEF LS50 / Dynaudio Audience 50 / Revel M22
    edited October 31
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    You're obviously a man of great taste, hehe. In gear AND music.
    Likewise!!! Coincidentally, I replaced the XPA-2 you purchased from me many moons ago with the Sunfire! Sent the Sunfire to Rita's for a refresh when they were still in business and Carver signed it for me. Family heirloom gifted to my daughter and SIL. I included a Sunfire Theater Grand III pre, Synology NAS, Squeezbox and pair of modded 1C's. My son's in Alaska, so hard to get big items to him, but he and my DIL are constantly dropping hints they'd like to be included in the circle of trust. Keeping it in the family! :smiley:
    Completely forgot the XPA-2 was yours! Very much enjoyed my time with it.
    And sorry for the derail, but here's Beck at a May festival.
    2b2r3a3aj9t3.jpg