PSA Windom Update

2»

Comments

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Not yet. I'm staying at my dads house while the will will is being executed, so, I just brought an integrated and am using blutooth to stream to the old April Stello DAC...simple and portable.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    Gotcha. Definitely more important things at the moment, so I'll stop bugging you! :blush: You'll have something to look forward to when you return home.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    @JayCee loading Huron and then to Wisdom worked. Seems to have a bit more sparkel on top as well as more depth and clarity.

The update process is easy but maybe there is something with snowmass that doesn't like Wisdom update? No idea. All i know is it worked and i like the improvement.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • JayCee
    @erniejade, glad to see you have it updated. Earlier in the week I loaded a previous firmware for comparison to Windom and had a "bad" load going back to Windom. Listened for a bit and it clearly sounded off vs. what I'd heard the past few weeks. Top end was grating for extended listening and soundstage wonky. On my BHK pre anything above 25 severely emphasised the bad. Took my own advice and loaded way back to Pike's Peak, removed the SD card and rebooted twice, consecutively, before it came back. Have decided to leave well enough alone and remain on Windom.
    erniejade wrote: »
    Seems to have a bit more sparkel on top as well as more depth and clarity.

Change in highs aren't that dramatic on my system but noticed the same with respect to clarity. Really easy to hear lyrics and smaller audio cues. Another improvement is off center instrument and performer location. They're really locked in w/respect to soundstage position. Had a jazz listening session and saxaphones sound sweet.

Major breakthrough for SACD DSD rips...now sound 100% better than previous firmware. As I previously stated, I'd kind of written them off. Always appeared overly soft and not as dynamic as I know they should. Standard FLAC rips from the same SACD's gave me more enjoyment. Now, DSD is king and is better than ever.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Thanks for the advice here guys. I tried to update 3 or 4 weeks ago after seeing this thread but never was successful. Finally had a chance to revisit last night.

Nothing worked until I first reverted to Huron. (I also removed blank spaces from the usb stick name as suggested somewhere, but I don't know if that had any effect.) After that, I was able to update to Windom. The reversion to Huron seems to be a recurring theme in the PSA troubleshooting threads; so if anyone is still having problems, be sure to give this a try.

It's been a while since I've been able to listen to this rig, but the sound seems a bit more lush with added depth. I'm pleased.

Thanks again!

Craig
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • JayCee
    edited October 2019
    Hi Craig (@vcwatkins). Good to see you have it updated. The bouncing around between firmware to get this load to take has been frustrating for many. Hopefully, since Ted, Paul & crew acknowledge the problem and it's getting quite a bit of chatter on the PSA site, they'll do something about it moving forward.
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    It's been a while since I've been able to listen to this rig, but the sound seems a bit more lush with added depth. I'm pleased.
    Looking at the list of gear in your den system I'd say we have a similar sonic signature (minus the vinyl). We both have 1.2's, tubes, digital in the mix, Roon and I have MIT S1 cables. Used to have a Sunfire Sig amp (gave to my daughter) and am familiar with the sound. I'm listening to Beck, Sea Change, a 192/24 Blueray rip, and "lush" is a good way to describe it. :smiley:
  • vcwatkins
    You're obviously a man of great taste, hehe. In gear AND music.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • JayCee
    edited October 2019
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    You're obviously a man of great taste, hehe. In gear AND music.
    Likewise!!! Coincidentally, I replaced the XPA-2 you purchased from me many moons ago with the Sunfire! Sent the Sunfire to Rita's for a refresh when they were still in business and Carver signed it for me. Family heirloom gifted to my daughter and SIL. I included a Sunfire Theater Grand III pre, Synology NAS, Squeezbox and pair of modded 1C's. My son's in Alaska, so hard to get big items to him, but he and my DIL are constantly dropping hints they'd like to be included in the circle of trust. Keeping it in the family! :smiley:
  • vcwatkins
    Completely forgot the XPA-2 was yours! Very much enjoyed my time with it.
    And sorry for the derail, but here's Beck at a May festival.
    2b2r3a3aj9t3.jpg
  • dhart86
    dhart86 Posts: 1,594
    Just updated my DS Jr to Windom ... Wow-at first blush the bass in my system is much more pronounced (nice and tight :) More of a 3D affect as well ...while the sound stage is higher/deeper. The clarity and imaging has also improved from the Snowmass version. I'm pretty happy with the improvement.
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    I was so happy with the performance of Windom in the one DirectStream DAC that I own that I could not pass up PS Audio's "Friends & Family" offer for Black Friday: Brand spanking new DirectStream DAC WITH Bridge II installed for $3,999.00. That's over 40% off list.
    I received the DAC today. I plan to install it as soon as the doctor clears me to lift >20 lbs. Unfortunately, it's not clear to me when that will be.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• erniejade
    Nice pickup. I never received an email on the sale!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited November 2019
    erniejade wrote: »
    Nice pickup. I never received an email on the sale!
    @erniejade,
    I don't know what their criteria were for sending out the notification of the sale, but I suspect it had to do with the number of registered PS Audio products owned. I went back to the special URL for this sale today, and it is no longer available. To gain access to the site required a password that was in the email notification.
    I suppose this sort of stuff goes on all the time, but this was a first for me -- not of "Friends & Family" sales or the like, but of the requirement for a special password.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• JayCee
    edited December 2019
    Wow, Phil (@Moose68Bash), dual Directstreams...just....WOW! I had a feeling you'd like Windom but didn't predict you'd buy a second machine. Replacing the PerfectWave, w/the DSD, in the workout system?
    Like erniejade, I didn't get a F&F notice. I have 3 pieces registered w/PSA (BHK Pre/250/DSD). Did, however, receive the "Tiers of Cheer" promo but am not looking to purchase anything.
    Wishing you clearance to bench press the DAC and the ensuing sweet sounds that'll make your workouts more enjoyable.
  • Stonecutter
    Stonecutter Posts: 35
    edited December 2019
    Hummmm!
    Two of the same.
    Isn't variety the spice of life?
  • erniejade
    Hummmm!
    Two of the same.
    Isn't variety the spice of life?

True but i can totally see why he would want this unit in both systems. Its darn good especially for the price he got it at.