Snagged a pair of LS90s

Options
Been a weird week or few. I run a "vintage-y" setup for my HT. RT16s front, RT7s rear, CS350LS center, SVS PB1000, all run by a Denon X3400H.

One of my RT16s drivers is done. I couldn't take the scratching anymore, and couldn't find a replacement. Friend of mine a few hours west went to go pick up a pair of LS90s for me, got there and they were in need of help. One of the surrounds had a slit, and one of the tweeters dead. I had him throw a lowball offer anyways, and i found myself the "proud" owner of TWO broken pairs of Polks. Yayyyy.

I found a surround kit and purchased that. Had no luck finding a tweeter. Was about to put together a setup based around the old Paradigm Monitor SE series out of frustration (and would have been perfectly happy with them), then happened to search Ebay for "Polk LS50 LS70 LS90." Found someone selling the entire guts out of a pair of LS70s. Same tweeters, score.

Snagged that.

Then realized i had also gotten 4 replacement drivers for my RT16s with the score as well.

So nowwww (when the LS90s are delivered) i'm back to square one, but now with an additional set of speakers that i'm not sure i have use for.

Long story long: In the context of already having the RT16s in the HT, would substituting them out for LS90s be a "waste?" My 2 channel setup has Paradigm 11SE MKiii and i don't see moving off them anytime soon.

I WILL be putting together a second HT setup for my other living room at some point. Do i get another CS350LS and a pair of LS/FX to run in the back with the LS90s?

Or do i put the LS90s in my office? Concerned about size of room. It's about 10x13, and LS90s are not exactly small.

Any thoughts?
I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    Have you put the LS90’s head to head with the RT16’s?
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    Options
    Nope, waiting on parts and the speakers themselves to arrive. I know an A/B is the only REAL answer, the purpose of the discussion at the moment is to have a discussion, if anyone else has heard these back to back.

I suppose the real question is whether or not one pair would work drastically better than the other in an small office setting for 2 channel use only. On paper, that sounds like the LS90s.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,326
    Options
    I’ve heard both, but not side by side. However, the LS90 is the clear winner in my book, especially for music.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn