Can you please help identify these

Hi, I inherited these floor speakers from a family member probably 20 years ago. I’m not an audiophile, so I have no way of knowing what they are or how they stack up in performance. I just know that Polk is an awesome brand and puts out a great speaker.

I used them for years, but I’m moving to a small place and they’re too big to take. I’d like to sell them, but it would be helpful if anyone can give me some info on what model they are, age, and approximate market value. They measure about 14”w x 24”h. The serial number is 7B- 36681.cq2ijdehr69c.jpeg
3awiqs5o6x01.jpeg
gd1yeof340hw.jpeg

Thanks so much for any input!

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Monitor 7B. You can check past sales on eBay.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tinad
    tinad Posts: 6
    Thanks so much, F1nut!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Is that fuse a spare, or actually in the circuit? If it is in the circuit then it should be cleaned.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tinad
    I did not see any of that model on the Sold or Completed listings on eBay. Maybe they aren’t worth much, but could you please give me an idea of how I should price them. I don’t want to overprice them or sell them too cheaply. Any idea of what year they were made? Thanks
  • tinad
    BlueFox, I don’t know. I just took a picture of the back of the speaker. Any particular way it should be cleaned? I’m pretty clueless...clearly 😐 I probably shouldn’t be on here, but when I don’t know something, I’m never afraid to ask people who do!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Just clean the dust off it. Do the same to the clips (inside) holding it. A wet sponge is fine. Dry it before reinserting.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited October 2019
    $150-200 range. Are there any dings in/on the cabinet? Fabric torn anywhere? Midwoofers scratchy? Pass the PR push test? Grill pegs broken? Hard to say from basically just two close up pictures. $150 is pretty safe though. Possibly less, possibly a little more.

How small is the room you're moving into?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • tinad
    Nightfall, I’m downsizing and moving from a 2 story house to a 1 BR condo. These guys are like furniture! It sounds like you think that I should keep them? Could you recommend a smaller speaker of comparable value that I should consider?

Are they really worth that much? I was thinking maybe $75, so if you’re right, I’m glad that I asked.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited October 2019
    $75 would be giving them away.

I would keep them. It would have to be a really small living room for them to be too big for. From an audio perspective I mean. Visually too big, that's subjective.

Anything smaller and $150 would get schooled by the M7's.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • tinad
    Okay Nightfall, thank you so much for your input! I’ll see if I can make them work😊
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Yes, keep them. You won't find a better sounding pair for anywhere near what the market price is for them. Given their age though, it would be recommended that the capacitors be replaced as they are well past their prime and better choices are on the market.

When you move, be sure they are on their back to avoid magnet slip. Also, even if you account for the cost of new caps, finding a better pair will be difficult at best.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    All I can say is do not hook them up to any decent audio gear and listen to them because you will be looking into a condo or house to fit the speakers in instead of the other way around...Seriously, with a few tweaks you will have sound you will not believe out of those.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    I have M7s in a small listening space. Quite small.
    You will pry them from my cold, dead fingers.

You will not touch their sound at the selling price.
    Just beware that you might find a rabbit hole ;-)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I've owned a pair of 7As since 1978; they'll be part of the estate when that time comes.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I've owned a pair of 7As since 1978; they'll be part of the estate when that time comes.

Not anytime soon I hope!!!!!
  • windstriker
    windstriker Posts: 136
    edited October 2019
    la2vegas wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Some people chase estate sales, feel safe in knowing that I don't. :)

Hey there is nothing wrong with estate sales. Of course my wife might disagree. Speakers just love to follow me home from. In fact a week ago a pair of lsi 9s asked me very nicely to take them home. I could not help but to adopt them and their gourgous cherry finish. Granted only my main rig is beefy enough to play them at the moment.
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Keep them. You will be glad you did.
  • I just recently fell into that rabbit hole with my monitor 10’s🤣 westmassguy is giving the crossovers the sonicap treatment right now.

Just beware that you might find a rabbit hole ;-)
    [/quote]