Powering the cookie monster (RTi A9)

Hello fellow polkers,

I recently did a full update of my system (as you know it's like watching dominoes fall)... I replaced my LG OLED55B6P with a LG OLED65C9PUA, which is gorgeous. Then decided I need to replace my wimpy VSX-1130 with something proper (plus eARC). So I picked up the Marantz SR6014. Then decided since it had pre-outs to get a dedicated amp for the floor standers... So I picked up a Marantz MM7025 for consistencies sake. Then I decided the A7's needed replacing, so... power hungry Cookie Monster A9's... All this for mainly movies and gaming, rarely for music.

OLD:

OLED55B6P
VSX-1130
RTi A7, CSi A6, RTi A3 surrounds, and VS70RT Ceiling

NEW:

OLED65C9PUA
Marantz SR6014 + Marantz MM7025 for fronts
RTi A9, CSi A6, RTi A7 surround, and VS70RT Ceiling

The question is, will the MM7025 be enough @140w per channel for two A9's?

Right now with the A7's and my usual listening volume, the fans don't even come on in either the SR6014 or the MM7025... So I'd guess I'm not working them hard at all.

Your thoughts sirs? Much appreciated. Also (digressing), please try to avoid telling me I wasted my money with the chosen hardware. I'm not here for individual opinions that Klipsch is better (I find them to grating on the high end), or I should have bought Paradigms (I wanted to maintain the match-up of my current set up, as if I switch to Paradigm, I'd probably replace everything, and I don't have that kind of money). I chose Polks & Marantz. So leave that as it is.

Comments

• BjornB17
    BjornB17 Posts: 752
    edited October 2019
    Hey there, nice setup you got. 140 wpc is probably fine considering it is a 2 channel power amp that is not feeding other speakers. I currently have my RTi12's (older version of A9, mechanically identical) hooked up to an Emotiva UPA-7 at about 185 wpc (only 2 speakers connected). It was a WORLD of difference compared to a receiver and not significantly different than your 140 wpc.

With that said, I am getting an XPA-DR3 that can provide 450-600 wpc depending on the ohm load and I'm excited to see how that works since the speakers can definitely handle more than 140. I might also drop in a pair of Fortress Plus crossovers :)

PS Klipsch sucks. You have a good setup there. RTi series speakers benefit greatly from a slight decay curve in your EQ. It dials out the brightness and makes them sound real smooth. About 0.5db to 1db per octave. Let me know if you want more specifics.
    Post edited by BjornB17 on
    KEF Q150 | Rythmik F12 | Yamaha Aventage RX-A780
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    alex8642 wrote: »

The question is, will the MM7025 be enough @140w per channel for two A9's?

Right now with the A7's and my usual listening volume, the fans don't even come on.

Welcome to club Polk!

I didn't see a sub listed. Are you running the A9's full? Were the A7's also full?

It's those three 7" woofers that suck the life out of any power source so I reckon you'll find out soon enough if your fans start kicking on!!!
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    It's not always about watts.
  • BjornB17
    BjornB17 Posts: 752
    With those towers, watts absolutely is very important. There are others things as well, as always.
    KEF Q150 | Rythmik F12 | Yamaha Aventage RX-A780
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited October 2019
    BjornB17 wrote: »
    With those towers, watts absolutely is very important. There are others things as well, as always.

Wrong it is current. I see no rating for that amp for a 4 ohm load which makes me scratch my head. Speakers do not magically stay at 8 ohm.
    Those speaker need a good current supply to all those drivers.

good luck.