Tesla Model S Police Car's Battery Ran Dry During High Speed Chase

Options

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Messing with you C..... ;)

Dr H is well regarded in his field and knows audio. Plus he's kind of a goofball as well.
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    And of course you have definitive proof to back up this claim? I’ll still take my advice from the experts in their field. Somebody is actually prepared to pay them a salary for their knowledge.

No proof, just a particular party tells us that 90% of scientists agree on climate change.
    They also tell me they're gonna take care of me when they get elected! :D
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,791
    Options
    And of course you have definitive proof to back up this claim? I’ll still take my advice from the experts in their field. Somebody is actually prepared to pay them a salary for their knowledge.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/sep/29/scientists-tell-un-global-climate-summit-no-emerge/
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    If you mean people with common sense that think for themselves and take personal responsibility seriously, then I'd say thank God.
    I take my audio advice from people who know from experience, not my scientist neighbors, just because they went to CalTech or M.I.T.

I take my climate advice from my scientist neighbors who work at JPL, not some dude on an audio forum.

On a side note: the scientists have never once offered advice on an audio topic.

Ahem..... Dr. Mark Hardy....

Yeah. but I don't work at JPL :#
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,322
    Options
    If you mean people with common sense that think for themselves and take personal responsibility seriously, then I'd say thank God.
    I take my audio advice from people who know from experience, not my scientist neighbors, just because they went to CalTech or M.I.T.

I take my climate advice from my scientist neighbors who work at JPL, not some dude on an audio forum.

On a side note: the scientists have never once offered advice on an audio topic.

For the climate “crisis” to be taken seriously by rational adults, there needs to be significantly more proof (not doctored data), and considerably less emotional flailing (Greta Thunberg - “How dare you...”). “Experts” like Al Gore (Mr private jet and 12,000sq ft home) and Bill Nye the (not a scientist) guy, do nothing but condescend to the “little people”, while they tell us the world will end in 12 years.

What they don’t talk about is the fact that the US has reduced our carbon emissions at a faster rate than just about any other nation, AND we’ve done it primarily on the back of fracking technology. They also don’t talk about their plans to get China and India on board, mainly because all they get from those countries is the middle finger...
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• F1nut
    Options

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,926
    Options
    Yeah sure... but no.

My point was that “common sense” does not mean rejecting arguments supporting the existence of climate change, and research is not some cursory article that’s very light on details from a newspaper.

Any scientific argument requires research on both sides, and journalists need not apply. Every scientific theory should be constantly challenged, but that doesn’t mean that the majority consensus is wrong (until it has been proven otherwise).

Argument is good. Conflicting research is good. Dismissive conspiracy theories are just that.
    Alea jacta est!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,093
    Options
    A change in the tilt of the Earth’s axis, which was detected after the Fukushima quake in Japan will cause climate change... when are we going to pass laws banning plate tectonics?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    A change in the tilt of the Earth’s axis, which was detected after the Fukushima quake in Japan will cause climate change... when are we going to pass laws banning plate tectonics?

What does this have to do with man made pollution causing climate change?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Options
    Do we have hard data as to how much man contributes to climate change?
  • Kex
    Options
    Yeah, there’s lots of hard data, such as the preview below of CO² emissions over 400 thousand years, but that’s just junk science. Like I stated earlier, I prefer when actual scientists explain to me how they interpret the original data collected at the source. I try to avoid junk science, and armchair/keyboard scientists.

oe992nogl51d.jpeg
    Alea jacta est!
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Go back 100,000 years and let’s talk about CO2 levels, or how about 1,000,000 years....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    Options
    You want climate change you can believe in? Wait until one of the thousands of volcanoes blows it's top as they have done in the past throwing mankind and every other living thing on earth into a real crisis. After all, mother nature has a way of resetting this planet like nothing else.

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    edited October 2019
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »

It completely blows the premise apart is what it does...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_effects_on_climate

https://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/japanquake/earth20110314.html

• Kex
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I liked that post better before it was edited (now much shorter) 😂

And now it’s been edited again (complete with linkies), but I still don’t like it as much as the original version!
    Alea jacta est!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »

It completely blows the premise apart is what it does...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_effects_on_climate

https://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/japanquake/earth20110314.html

What do either of those links have to do with man made pollution causing climate change?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Simple.... though I believe we can and should do a better job of taking care of our planet, I do not believe the influence of mankind has much to do with global warming... I remember 40 years ago scientists saying we were headed for another “ice age”. Then it was “global warming” and now it’s called “climate change”... and mankind is the devil behind it all. The truth is that the earth has been significantly hotter over a period of thousands of years, and colder than it is today, and that was hundreds of thousands of years before mankind took his first breath.

We had an ice age less than 20k years ago that drove humans to the brink of extinction. 2500 years ago the temperature was about 5 degrees warmer than today... I know we contribute to species extinctions, destruction of habitats, pollution amok, and we absolutely need to do better.

We don’t need to reduce populations, destroy economies, and restrict our freedoms and liberty to do it...

• Kex
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    What they don’t talk about is the fact that the US has reduced our carbon emissions at a faster rate than just about any other nation...
    This is not true.

If you consider emissions per capita, then the worst polluters on the planet are the oil producing nations (except Russia):
    • Saudi Arabia: 19 metric tons of CO²/cap/yr in 2019
    • United Arab Emirates: 22 metric tons of CO²/cap/yr in 2019.

Then there are other major industrialized nations
    (measured in metric tons of CO² per capita, per year in 2019):
    • Australia: 17
    • Canada: 17
    • U.S.A.: 16
    • Russia: 12
    • Japan: 10
    • China: 8
    • European Union (28): 7
    • India: 2

In terms of increase in emissions from 1990 to 2017):

[*] Saudi Arabia: 384%
    [*] U.A.E.: 356%
    [*] Australia: 146%
    [*] Canada: 135%
    [*] U.S.A.: 100%
    [*] Russia: 74%
    [*] Japan: 115%
    [*] China: 454%
    [*] European Union (28): 81%
    [*] India: 405%

The growth rates make China & India look particularly bad, but that is because they are fast growing economies coming from behind. In fact, China has committed to renewable energies that will mean they will no longer grow energy production from coal between 2020 and 2040. Renewable sources like solar, wind and hydro will surpass coal for energy production in that country:

mkplcmba98di.jpeg
    Alea jacta est!
  • F1nut
    edited October 2019
    Options

President of Club Polk

• Kex
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I am quoting factual sources. You are quoting Scott Pruitt.

Also, the timeframe is different, so the article cherry-picks the facts to suit the narrative. My facts are from 2019, not 2015.

You can prove anything when you don’t really care.
    Alea jacta est!
  • F1nut
    edited October 2019
    Options
    There's no link to back up your post as fact. At least Robert Rapier presented a balanced view and therefore far more believable.

Regardless, it matters not as one can find "facts" on just about any topic.

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
  • F1nut
    Options
    You can prove anything when you don’t really care.

Well, I'm glad you finally admitted that.

President of Club Polk

• Kex
    Options
    Yawn indeed...
    Alea jacta est!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    time for this one to go to the carbon grave
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Interesting turn of a thread after a great day at work!

Ah the ole cherry picking the data technique to support your viewpoint. I get a lot of that at work! Everybody had a favorite authority, why, because it comports with your beliefs.

My thought is, does anybody really know? Mother Nature, after all. Do we really have the audacity to think we are that smart enough to anticipate what she'll do?

As cited earlier, it was the upcoming ice age that never came to fruition, and the fact that the earth didn't end after Al Gore's proclamation. And recently others, who claim the demise of the earth is very near. 12 years, IIRC.

Sure, there are common sense things we can do. Just to be clean, or green in the common vernacular. Makes sense to me, and I do those common sense things. But the difference for me is, that I have the choice to do those things.

But, when institutions proclaim dire consequences, purvey fear, and adopt legislation that forces a revenue drain, or transfer, to individuals or groups, that's where I take pause.

You mean I have to pay more for a vehicle because of it's carbon footprint? My company has to pay penalties or purchase "carbon offsets" from brokers or other institutions (government) because our average carbon footprint exceeds some arbitrary limit? Really? We're taxing air now?

Oh yeah, I recall the ozone scare of a few decades back. Did all those regulations and penalties and forcing industry to scrap their old technology and design, spend huge amounts of capital resources, really heal our ozone layer? There is data to cherry pick either way.

And one of my personal favorites, regulating the gallons per flush on the trusty ole throne! Remember having to 2 flush those early designs, that met the letter of the regulation, but really didn't perform as expected.

There are so many unintended consequences of knee jerk reactions to general trends in nature.

We have highlighted many of them in this thread.

Again, Mother Nature, do we really know her? Just my thoughts to this very civil and genteel debate! Carry on! :)
    Post edited by verb on
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    edited October 2019
    Options
    gentile?

don't go there, bubbeleh.

;)

genteel, maybe.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    gentile?

don't go there, bubbeleh./i]

;)

genteel, maybe.

Thank you sir! Fixed in time! Whew! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Pollution and climate change are 2 different things.

Absolutely we need to do better with pollution and being better stewards of the planet. Again, who are the biggest polluters ? Asia is, and you won't change that without going to war over it.

CO2 emissions are not a measure to be used , especially when we are talking miniscule amounts in differences. We need CO2, plants need it to grow ya know.

I think the telling factor was, at the Paris accord they said something like if all cars were banned, how much change of co2 in the atmosphere could we expect. The answer was a paltry .1 %. Man made co2 wasn't around when the planet went through major climate shifts. It always has, and always will, from forces beyond our control. Climate runs in patterns, cycles....big longer time frame cycles with little cycles inside. Real science has proven that decades ago and it has not been challenged by anyone.

What is being sold today is fear, and that fear will be used to wrestle control away from individuals and countries. That fear is being projected onto our youth also. If you can't get enough adults to swallow your B.S., go after the kids eh.

Fear is a powerful tool, it's used in everything to gain control. Parents instill a bit of fear in parenting, religion instills fear in a God, workplaces instill fear of loss of jobs, politics obviously uses it daily. Some instill fear while training their dog even.

The whole climate change junk is a way of instilling fear to train mass amounts of people like a dog, to control people, their actions, remove many freedoms, and answer to only one global master. Crude way of putting it, but you can't tell me you don't feel like your being trained, because you are.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options

Nobody paid attention to the 500 scientists who claimed there was no climate emergency. Maybe because their opinions weren't bought off like so many others. Dangle enough grant money in front of a scientist, they can produce any graph you want.

Another example of this is the drug companies who use "scientists" to proclaim their drugs are safe to come to market. Professionals in their field, we should take their advice no questions asked, right ?

Until years later the detrimental effects of such drugs come to light. When you own the scientists, they are not going to bite the hand that feeds them.

This is why we have such a diverse opinion about climate change among scientists. Some are independent, others are bought and paid for.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable