Tesla Model S Police Car's Battery Ran Dry During High Speed Chase

Options

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Nuclear fusion would be nice -- but we don't seem to have made much progress in controlled and sustainable nuclear fusion since... well... the early 1950s.
    And back then, they weren't interested in controlled fusion.

:/

ozkxjze4x55o.png

And, yeah -- by the way -- Edward Teller was way scarier than Elon Musk. Even than Musk and Tesla (the guy, not the car company) put together.

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    az1p0ovo90dg.jpg

Not to be outdone, Great White! :)
    t7f59qvdui27.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Nothing wrong with hydrogen as a fuel source, but don’t use it to make the car lighter. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Well, it will, just not enough to matter.
    A car 'full' of hydrogen should weigh a bit less than empty.

Sort of like a Class A amplifier -- in theory, it'll produce less heat amplifying a sigmal to clipping than it does idling... when all of its output power is being dissipated as heat. When amplifying a signal, at least a little bit of it goes to the loudspeakers :p

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    In the last year I had read an article were car manufacturers wanted to have all the fuel sold I believe to be 95+ octane IIRC (could have been higher). Either way they stated with higher octane they could get better fuel economy and cleaner burning engines. The reasoning is the with higher compression engines they could build cleaner burning engines.
    They also feel they have reached the end of the line as far as building them lighter because any more weight shaving is going to sacrifice safety too much. Also if the government mandated the switch to high octane the the cost of high octane would come down to the cost now of 87 octane fuel now since high octane fuel is not produced in high enough quantities now to facilitate a lower cost to the buyer. Of course this would not help vehicles not made for the higher octane but it sure won't hurt them either.
    It will be interesting to see if anything comes of it.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    They'll still generate as much (or even a bit more) CO2 per unit volume of fuel consumed (oxidized), although they should go more miles per unit volume, so, in that sense they're better.

My recollection is that higher combustion efficiency produces more oxides of nitrogen, too (which, come to think of it, comes from air not C-N-H bonds in hydrocarbons, at least mostly). I don't do this stuff for a living, so my memory's rusty and my grasp of the details is a little tenuous.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    deronb1 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    The truth of the matter is electric cars are anything but green.

....go on...

To get you started, https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/in-sight/wp/2018/02/28/the-cost-of-cobalt/

You can find a lot more if you look yourself.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    The little girl has aspergers, if you don't know what it is look it up.

How nice of the enviro-fringe to trot out a girl with special needs to dress down the U.N. for not doing enough about climate change.... if you disagree with her, it’s because you are a douchenozzle picking on a young child because she has a disability and not because her statements were demonstrably false...

Predictable, and just what I would expect....

BINGO!!!

This forum is WAYYYY too Right.

If you mean people with common sense that think for themselves and take personal responsibility seriously, then I'd say thank God.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    No, I'm talking about the people who debunk science based on heresay yet will believe in an invisable man in the sky. Just because you pay taxes and stay out of jail, doesn't make you a good person, or have the credentials to poo-poo anything that you feel is "big government" or "group think". The common sense part is purely speclatory and usually involves short term thinking.
  • deronb1
    Options
    The truth of the matter is electric cars are anything but green.

....go on...

To get you started, https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/in-sight/wp/2018/02/28/the-cost-of-cobalt/

You can find a lot more if you look yourself.

Of course acquiring materials is going to be messy. Just like any business model, people are going to be exploited. That's the capitalist part right? But, do you really think it compares to to global strip mining and fraking?
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Options
    As we all know the vast majority of tree huggers are total hypocrites that don't practice what they preach. Leo & Al are perfect examples.
  • deronb1
    Options
    Sure, paint the broad strokes and throw the baby out with the bath water. That kind of thinking is why nothing gets done.
    charley95 wrote: »
    As we all know the vast majority of tree huggers are total hypocrites that don't practice what they preach. Leo & Al are perfect examples.

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    The market is pursuing other options than ICE.
    I don't know that government is the best to judge a winner.
    The marketplace will prevail. We haven't really even solved
    the power generation thing yet. Solar and wind really aren't
    great for steady reliable power. We need to get past the "fad"
    stuff and decide how to go. Iceland's geothermal power is
    great. Traditional nuclear is not going to cut it.
    There are some newer ways to use nuclear power that
    are far safer and cheaper to build than the old brute force
    ones used in the past. The Chinese are leaving us in the dust
    when it comes to that new area of power generation.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • deronb1
    Options
    We have the capability to become almost totally renewable. The problem is our infrastructure is not designed for it. Geting the power to where it is needed is a tricky one. That said, we should be way further along than we are presently concerning renewable power.
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    We can become much better at renewable, but we will NEVER be totally
    renewable. That is a hard fact that needs to be dealt with.
    There needs to be a solid plan to get there. That means a real discussion,
    A few people buying home solar and forcing power companies to buy back
    during times of the day they don't need it is not going to fix anything. It only
    benefits the people who can afford to buy it. It really doesn't solve the big issues.
    Wind, water, and geothermal needs to be meshed with nuclear and fuel
    power generation in a logical way. Not the random way it's done now.
    We either get politicians that want green, and want to bury everything else.
    Or we get ones that don't want any new green ideas.
    We can do both. Yes, we can hold more than one idea in our head at the same time.
    I don't mean this as an attack on home solar. But until we work together rather than
    fighting over it, it's jut kicking the can down the road.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • charley95
    Options
    Let me know how those solar powered airplanes work out. If Jim Jones told you to drink the Kool Aid you probably would've drank it! :D
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    It wouldn't be out of bounds thinking to have all new construction have some sort of Solar capability that would provide for most of their needs. I believe some European areas are doing this. Since most large buildings are mostly glass why not make one side a giant solar collector?

Just a thought
  • deronb1
    Options
    charley95 wrote: »
    Let me know how those solar powered airplanes work out. If Jim Jones told you to drink the Kool Aid you probably would've drank it! :D

Way to contribute! Thanks for nothing!
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,326
    Options
    We have the capability to become almost totally renewable...

On paper maybe, but these things don’t happen in a vacuum. For one thing, the cost is enormous. When that reality is presented, the response is often in the form of empty platitudes such as “the cost of not doing it is far greater”, or “we simply can’t afford not to do it”. These statements tug at the heart strings for sure, but they dodge the question of cost.

What leaves me most dismayed is the fact that nuclear power is rarely discussed in these arguments. If we truly want to go “green”, then we are going to have to embrace safe nuclear technology. Solar and wind are nice augments to the energy grid, but they are not solutions. You need electricity to charge an electric car - getting that electricity from fossil fuel consumption miles away at a power plant is not “green”...
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• charley95
    Options
    It's just common sense. Too many out there preaching the end of the world if we don't act now. If solar saves me $$ in the long run then I'm all in but, if it doesn't I'll rely on coal. If Net zero floats your boat then go for it but don't point the finger at me for being an eco terrorist.
  • deronb1
    Options
    Its going to take time. A long time, and we have to get over our immediate gratification kick. We need to think long term and steer the proverbial ship in the right direction, instead of chasing our tails eveey four years.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Problem with nuclear is the spent fuel with a half life of tens of thousands of years. Until we come up with a great way to dispose of it or repurpose it we're just creating a larger devil.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Everything has a devil aspect to it Ivan, there are no unicorns in the global power scenario. All you do is trade one devil for another....to basically solve a problem that's made up or beyond our control to conquer.

Truth is, nobody wants to solve the fossil fuel thing, too much money in it.

Let me ask the crowd this, if a power source became available for free to everyone, by some unknown future inventor, you'd think you'd see it materialize ? Even if one became available you'd pay for, think the fossil fuel industry will just pack their bags and go home ?

No you wouldn't, Tesla, the scientist, not the company, already proved that theory.

The whole carbon debate, global warming/cooling, isn't even about the climate. It's about transferring wealth and control. If you for one second think these heads of state, celebrities, give a rats behind about you or the planet, your sorely mistaken. Especially since most have made their riches raping the planet, expanding their carbon footprints, expanding their personal wealth in the process.

Ever ask yourself, why all this global climate change junk is aimed at the USA ? When we aren't even the planets biggest polluters ? Asia is....anybody aim their distain towards them ? Nahh...Asia would tell them to go suck an egg. We on the other hand, and Europe, are more PC about it and like following trends to make ourselves feel better about who we are. Whether there's truth to it or not.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    In the end nobody talks about the elephant in the room. Human population.
    You drop the world population in half, you solve a lot of problems.
    The US population without immigration was pretty much parity.
    Japan and much of Europe without immigration was on the downturn.
    Too many parts of the world still embrace unchecked procreation.
    At some point we run out of everything. You want less US carbon impact?
    REDUCE POPULATION. Good luck getting buy in on that.

• charley95
    Options
    Well said guys! Same with cancer, there's too much $$ in it to have a cure.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,937
    Options
    If you mean people with common sense that think for themselves and take personal responsibility seriously, then I'd say thank God.
    I take my audio advice from people who know from experience, not my scientist neighbors, just because they went to CalTech or M.I.T.

I take my climate advice from my scientist neighbors who work at JPL, not some dude on an audio forum.

On a side note: the scientists have never once offered advice on an audio topic.
    Alea jacta est!
  • charley95
    Options
    Unfortunately, the majority of the scientists regarding climate change have an agenda.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    I take my audio advice from people who know from experience, not my scientist neighbors, just because they went to CalTech or M.I.T.

I take my climate advice from my scientist neighbors who work at JPL, not some dude on an audio forum.

On a side note: the scientists have never once offered advice on an audio topic.

Ahem..... Dr. Mark Hardy....

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,937
    Options
    And of course you have definitive proof to back up this claim? I’ll still take my advice from the experts in their field. Somebody is actually prepared to pay them a salary for their knowledge.
    Alea jacta est!