Durango R/T K&N CAI system

Hello everyone,
As some of you may know my best Stock 1/4 mile run was a 14.1 @96.5MPH. This is as far as I know the faster stock 1/4 mile R/T Durango in the country.
I did this run with 1 mod which most will say does absolutely nothing was a drop in replacement K&N Air filter. When I did the drop in I felt a slightly better throttle response but I didn't think it was any faster. This was 2 years ago when I got it new.
Today I decided to go with the full CAI system from K&N which is part number 63-1563 and I installed it in like 20-30 minutes tops. Super easy to install, everything fits perfectly and taking out the factory system took all about 2 minutes. A few bolts and it's out.
One thing I noticed so far is the feel. It feels like under normal non full throttle driving I gained a slight effortless feeling. Now ECO mode feels more responsive where before it felt slightly sluggish compared to ECO OFF and or SPORT MODE.
The Sound at wide open throttle is insane. Driving around with the resonator style intake factory system I didn't realize now much sound it cancels out. That has to be some what restrictive as it's a giant difference in sound. When you mash the gas it goes crazy, it's loud.
I'm excited to get back to the track, my Son is trying to beat is best time of 12.6 @110 with his Audi S4 stock with a CAI.
qmt9bga3d5ir.jpg
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    So does that just pull the hot air from under the hood or is there something that grabs cooler air from outside the motor compartment?
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Hot. The shield helps a little.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    It pulls cold air from outside and from under the hood. The heat shield doesn't completely shield it from all under hood air. The seal does seal against the hood and keeps a lot out but it should have been designed to shield out all of it.
    When you make passes at the track, you do it with a cool engine not hot like you drove it for 20 minutes or more.
    Dan
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    I tried a K&N power pipe for my F150 4.6 and because of it grabbing the hot air from engine compartment it played h ell with my mass air sensors. I had to remove it. If it could be 100% covered and had access to cooler outside air (like newer mustang's) I feel it would have worked much better.
    Mine looked a lot like that one,
  • Nightfall
    Do you guys have any videos of your passes?

• My 68 442 the cold air intakes are mounted under the front bumper.
    It gets nothing but cold air as well as leaves, bugs and the like.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mantis
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Do you guys have any videos of your passes?
    Here's mine
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-kxITS8wKM
    Dan
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    I dropped in a pre-oiled K&N filter in my car. (2.0T). Did notice a slight increase in performance.
  • Nightfall
    I put a bag of rice in the back seat of my Civic hatch. Did not note any improvement.

• mantis
    Your supposed to put the Civic in the bag of rice my man
    Dan