Jolida CDP "AA Top Fuel Dragster Mod"

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited December 2006
    F1nut wrote:
    ...... but I want it back afterwards.

I would guess without any parts swapped out too, huh?:D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited December 2006
    LOL....yeah. Maybe I'll make some special screw heads that only I have the tool for.:D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited December 2006
    SComp:
    This won't be for a review as we just did a Jolida piece. I'll have to ask Jeff about what all was done.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited December 2006
    markmarc wrote:
    SComp:
    This won't be for a review as we just did a Jolida piece. I'll have to ask Jeff about what all was done.
    So, you'll post your impressions / observations here then? Or will you save it for a later issue of AA?
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    edited June 2009
    Jesse
    Are you ready to sell this to me yet?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    edited June 2009
    These mods are still the most impressive Ive seen, 3 years later.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited June 2011
    going on 5 years now.:smile:
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,650
    edited June 2011
    Wow, great work Jesse. George, thanks for pulling up this thread.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • F1nut
    edited June 2011
    Geez George, what prompted you to dig this up? Since you did, here's an update. Still in my office rig. I had to clean the laser once and replace the tubes....once I think, but other than that she's been a good girl.

Roy, you heard it at CF.

Forgot to add that she now sports a black faceplate with the original silver buttons......much sexier.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,650
    edited June 2011
    Yes, I did here it a CF and was blown away with how well your gear sounded. I also remember telling you that I could never believe that 1C's could ever sound that good.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • george daniel
    edited June 2011
    F1nut wrote: »
    Geez George, what prompted you to dig this up? Since you did, here's an update. Still in my office rig. I had to clean the laser once and replace the tubes....once I think, but other than that she's been a good girl.

Roy, you heard it at CF.

Forgot to add that she now sports a black faceplate with the original silver buttons......much sexier.

Well,,I was listening to mine yesterday,,which is similar to yours,,and I'm toying with replacing the caps(mine have the MIT's) with Mundorf or Jenzen PIO's,, apparently it's very,very,,capacitor sensitive,,,(midrange),,and it's a very good thread to "model" a source upgrade.Also-- the thread just re-enforces a point often overlooked(which you point out well),,source,source,and source.Do you recall the values of the Mundorf's?
  • george daniel
    edited June 2011
    Not to muck up this thread with pic's of mine,I removed the tube
    'thingy's" today.Mine has 3.0uF MIT caps as well as some smaller MIT's too.I'm running some RFT's,,gonna try some Tung Sol 5751's next.Thanks Jesse for sharing your work.I know,,EI goldpins,,eh?
  • F1nut
    edited June 2011
    Well,,I was listening to mine yesterday,,which is similar to yours,,and I'm toying with replacing the caps(mine have the MIT's) with Mundorf or Jenzen PIO's,, apparently it's very,very,,capacitor sensitive,,,(midrange),,and it's a very good thread to "model" a source upgrade.Also-- the thread just re-enforces a point often overlooked(which you point out well),,source,source,and source.Do you recall the values of the Mundorf's?

Agreed, excellent point.

The stock caps were 3.3uF. I used the same value.

President of Club Polk

• leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited June 2011
    Jesse, have you thought about modding these on the side? With the Jolida.net sale there's a lot of owners on the forum.
  • F1nut
    edited June 2011
    I don't have the time. However, I did make a list of the parts required, were they go, sources, etc. for someone in the past. If anyone wants a copy, let me know.

President of Club Polk

• leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited June 2011
    F1nut wrote: »
    I don't have the time. However, I did make a list of the parts required, were they go, sources, etc. for someone in the past. If anyone wants a copy, let me know.

Do you know of any good shops or people I can't send mine into to get modded?

Thanks
  • george daniel
    edited June 2011
    Thanks Jesse for the cap values,,,Leroy,,aside from re-clocking(mine had that mod already),you should be able to upgrade the caps,or have someone local perform it for you,I played around with mine today,and it does not look too intimidating,,I'll post some pic's after I re-cap mine if anyone likes.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited June 2011
    leroyjr1 wrote: »

Thanks

Just get a soldering iron Leroy.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    edited June 2011
    leroyjr1 wrote: »

Thanks

Parts ConneXion does mods on the Jolida's. However, they will no longer add a clock saying that it makes the player unreliable, which is horse hockey. Maybe the clocks they were using were unreliable as I've never had a problem with the Trichord clock.

President of Club Polk

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited June 2011
    He's Bad and He's Nationwide.......

RT1
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited June 2011
    Nice job Jess, I must add when you set out to do something,you do it up right. Very sweet indeed.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BDT
    BDT Posts: 212
    Just as an update..... this unit has been in my rig for a few years now and can say that it is probably the ONE item I have that I can see being upgrade proof.

It all starts with a good source, brohams....

BDT
  • F1nut
    I'm glad you're enjoying it and I know it went to a good home.

President of Club Polk

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited September 2019
    Well this is a very cool thread! Nice of @BDT to bring it back up after 13 years for us newbies to read. Very cool mods Jesse!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • F1nut
    Hard to believe that was 13 years ago.

President of Club Polk

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Nice mod, Jesse.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Lots of the posts are from members who are no longer.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    A bump for a great read about a STELLAR piece of kit that I still enjoy almost daily.....
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited April 2021
    Indeed it is, and I regret not snagging it before you. One occasionally comes up for sale and some are hesitant because it's not a SACD player, go figure. Jesse's though was the bomb and I still don't get why even sold it.

One thing I learned over the years, is when F1NUT decides to upgrade something, anything....there is no half **** job to be had, he goes balls out .
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    Tony, it was part of my all tube office rig, which wasn't getting much use most of the year due to the heat it put off, so I decided to sell all that gear except the speakers.

President of Club Polk