Infinity Overture 1

deronb1
deronb1 Posts: 5,021
Heard these years ago and was really impressed. Saw a pair on ebay for 3 bills and grabbed em. Look to be in fine shape with original boxes. Should be fun to play around with.

Comments

• I think @VR3 had a pair for a bit...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • deronb1
    I think @VR3 had a pair for a bit...

Ya, think I remember that too.
  • deronb1
    Speakers arrived yesterday. Minty, in original box and packaging. Don't have the stands, so had to improvise a bit on placement. Put them on top of my RTA 8Ts with about a 1/4'" downward pitch. Towed in a bit and put on some reference tracks. My first impression was that they did not sound as I remembered, but soon realized that the Yammy was on YPAO for another pair of speakers. Switched to Pure Direct and everything opened up and became much more listenable. Gear: TSR-7810 as a pre and B&K AV5000II for power. Good match with the B&K. These did a surprisingly good job of filling my 18' x 19' man cave with a 10' vaulted ceiling. Very nice midrange and top end. Bass is handled by 8" powered side firing woofer which delivered full bass without bloat. The bass output is also adjustable for placement or gear issues.

Overall, a very nice speaker system that sounds WAY bigger than their size. I think it would make a great second system that is semi-portable. Doesn't need a ton of power, (92db, 8 ohm) with dual 4" woofers and 1" tweet to drive. The 8" side firing woofers are powered by internal amps. I plan on getting a small integrated and another streamer (or all in one unit) and use it in another room. They really don't need a sub for full range sound and can be quite revealing on sub par recordings. FWIW, a little digging uncovered that Andrew Jones had his fingers in the Overture line while he was with Infinity. Anyhoo, these are fun, unique speakers that sound great and could be used in a variety of applications.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I seem to remember hearing that placement was crucial with those speaks, I suppose due to the side firing design. Always heard they punched way above their size
  • deronb1
    dromunds wrote: »
    I seem to remember hearing that placement was crucial with those speaks, I suppose due to the side firing design. Always heard they punched way above their size

Wasn't too bad really. Need about 2 ft from side wall min. Yeah, they hit hard and clear when pushed.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    I have actually never owned infinity speakers but have heard them on a few occasions
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited October 2019
    We used to own a pair of these!!

Loved the "Big" sound from a very small speaker, but it still had limitations and would not play truly loud and with deep bass and so on, but for what it was...EXCELLENT!

We had ours on a 6 foot wide stand used as L/R speakers for a Plasma TV for years.
    Actually thought about buying a used pair, but worried about issues with the Bass amp and kinda forgot about that idea.

One of my most memorable speakers!
  • deronb1
    Im liking them so far. Played around with em for about a week as mains. Prob going to pair up with a 2ch receiver or integrated for second system.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Im liking them so far. Played around with em for about a week as mains. Prob going to pair up with a 2ch receiver or integrated for second system.

Right!
    The bass is amazing for how small they are
    Obviously not sub like deep bass, but beats most all bookshelf speakers the same size or even a decent bit larger