Magnet shift problems

This may have been discussed ad nauseum but I may need some help.
Here goes:

I am an avid Polk lover. My first Decent speakers are/were some old monitor 7s. Nothing has knocked them off my main system. So I finally stopped trying to upgrade as it wasn't happening(Polk monitor 7s are amazing). Made wife happy anyways...
Fast forward to yesterday I was at a thrift shop and son finds a pair of monitor 10a. I HAD TO! Didn't bother to even check but when I got them home 3 of the 4 drivers were seized up. Tried the PVC pipe method for a long time this evening and I'm about to give up. Is there anyone who fixes these around here? First post. Thanks for ANY help!

Comments

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Do you have the magnet free of the basket and the pole-piece? Do you have anaerobic thread locker? (Loctite 271 or similar)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited September 2019
    Schurkey wrote: »
    Do you have the magnet free of the basket and the pole-piece? Do you have anaerobic thread locker? (Loctite 271 or similar)

find his other thread with pictures. yes they are seperated. Glue I cannot answer

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/188108/stuck-voice-coil-magnet-shift#latest
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Why do guys start multiple threads on the same subject?
  • Contact "lawdogg", he's fixed a few for me.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    Try sitting the next MW you take out (one that is not separated) pole piece, magnet down watching the VC with dust cover open and tap the magnet in the opposite direction of the pinch of the VC. Do not tap it with a regular hammer. Use a hard/ish block of wood or plastic hammer. You get the idea right ? Don't knock the s@i$% out of it, tap it softly. Once you get it where it is not rubbing lock it all down with epoxy. Worth a try no ? And BTW, the voice coil former on the MW in the pictures looks damaged....
  • I will try that. Sorry didn't see where I could delete post. Figured other catergorie made more sense. Lawdogg ? I will. I think he commented on the other post. Thanks
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 449
    Hey I posted what I hope is some helpful info in the other thread. Happy to continue to help if it's unclear ...
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    VSAT88 wrote: »
    Try sitting the next MW you take out (one that is not separated) pole piece, magnet down watching the VC with dust cover open and tap the magnet in the opposite direction of the pinch of the VC. Do not tap it with a regular hammer. Use a hard/ish block of wood or plastic hammer. You get the idea right ? Don't knock the s@i$% out of it, tap it softly. Once you get it where it is not rubbing lock it all down with epoxy. Worth a try no ? And BTW, the voice coil former on the MW in the pictures looks damaged....

Tapping like that won't center the coil or magnet, it needs to be held in a jig and slowly pushed into place. Having any of the pieces unsecured by the jig or adhesive will allow a pinch to happen.