New Speakers

Nightfall
Nightfall Posts: 10,042
They've been out for years, so nothing new to see here. Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary bookies. These guys are just as beautiful in person as they are in the pictures I was drooling over. The grey grill fabric really gives them that 1970s look. The way the binding posts are made it awkward to get the MIT jumpers on there, brass plates stayed in the box. Breaking them in, no thoughts yet.

zu4hlfggw8c8.jpg

ffv6q20xzwex.jpg

eb421s2on8u4.jpg
afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Very nice!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    They are nice looking speakers B)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Definitely rolled off highs compared to the Dynaudio's. There's still plenty of high end, just without the very upper "sparkle" I guess I would say. Hard to describe. Don't want to make it sound like they're muffled or anything.

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    The larger Lintons really peek my interest.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    welcome back Rick.
  • Nightfall
    Rick88 wrote: »
    The larger Lintons really peek my interest.

Mine too!! B)

So who's going to be the first to get them here?

• Nightfall
    I was happy with the Dynaudios as well. You know how it is, though. I want to hear everything out there, in my own environment, equipment, and cables.

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Very cool! I will be very interested to hear some thoughts after a month or so of break in - especially after Friday!!

I too have been drooling over their bigger brothers
  • Nightfall
    Couple more quick thoughts.

1) These are not speakers for blasting Pantera at 100db like SDA's are. They'll play loud but they lose their composure.

2) If I played a couple of Puscifer songs for you in my room (10x10) you would never guess this bass is coming from a single 5" woofer. Legitimate deep bass. I'm sure in a large room it would be underwhelming.

• verb
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Nightfall
    Are you thinking about it or just sharing?

• verb
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Are you thinking about it or just sharing?

More sharing! But thinking too! :)
  • Speakers are looking great.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    odd first post -- I don't see a spam link, though...

:*
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Good review of the 85th Anniv. Lintons in thie months Stereophile
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    Welcome back Rick88
  • F1nut
    So Josh, what's the verdict?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    They're good speakers. They're not the best rock 'n roll speakers though.

They lack something in the imaging/sound stage department. I don't know how else to explain but on the new Tool song Fear Inoculum Adam's guitar at points in the song on the Dynaudio Emit M20's sounded like they started at the speakers and then wrapped around the sides of the
    entire room coming all the way towards your head. On the Wharfedale's they start at the speakers and then only come about a foot towards you. Did a lot of experimenting with toe in and couldn't get them to do what the Dyn's do as far as that's concerned.

The bass is impressive for a 5" woofer. Highs are there but are subdued a bit, lack some upper detail and sparkle if you will. Extremely non fatiguing to listen to.

There's people that absolutely love these things though, so what do I know. Maybe they listen to a lot of classical and jazz instead of rock and metal.

• Nightfall
    edited September 2019
    Here's someone from Steve Hoffman Forum. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Vs. the Dyn's it was same room, same equipment, same positioning, same everything. Maybe our definitions of surround like sound stage are different.
    With careful positioning and just a little toe-in I get great, almost surround like soundstage and good instrument separation.

• F1nut
    Thanks.

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    If anyone in the Denver area would like to borrow these for a while to give them a listen, let me know. @Toolfan66 @stainless0steel2

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I've been eyeing them in the MD catalogs, like the look of them.
  • Nightfall
    edited September 2019
    They do sound good though, don't get me wrong. Warm. Not bright. Easy to listen to for hours. Prettiest looking speakers I have. I like them better than the very expensive Focal tower speakers I heard at a local HiFi shop. They just lack something I can't find the words for and at least in my setup they're good at imaging but the sound stage is smaller than I'd like.

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    What kind of speaker cables were you using with them, just simply out of curiosity.
  • Nightfall
    Clipdat wrote: »
    What kind of speaker cables were you using with them, just simply out of curiosity.

https://hifiheaven.net/shop/MIT-StyleLine-SL-12-Speaker-Interface-Cables-10ft-Pair

• Clipdat
    Nice! I like MITs but they didn't play nice with my PMC speakers.

You might try a different brand of speaker cables with them if you have a spare pair.
  • Nightfall
    edited September 2019
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Nice! I like MITs but they didn't play nice with my PMC speakers.

You might try a different brand of speaker cables with them if you have a spare pair.

...and interconnects or just speaker cable? MIT interconnects too.

I have nothing else. Suggestions?

• Clipdat
    edited September 2019
    Should be fine to keep the same interconnects, but I just think it's possible that MIT doesn't always play well with all brands of speakers.

I don't really have any suggestions, but this is what I'm using right now and I've been extremely impressed with them: https://www.ebay.com/itm/KnuKonceptz-Krux-Interlaced-Braided-8-Gauge-Bi-Wire-Speaker-Wire-Cable-8-Pair/382747321152

They also offer a single wire version which I also have that I'm not using currently, I could send them to you to try out for a while.

They're an 8' foot pair, is that long enough?
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    Analysis Plus copper oval ## should work well with this speaker.

This might be the wrong type of speaker for your application...
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Nightfall
    So I take it I would like but not love Harbeth and Spendor?