Polk SDA-CRS Problem

stropkoo
stropkoo Posts: 3
edited September 2019 in Vintage Speakers
Hi! Been a longtime fan of Polk (been using the 5JRs for a number of years) and just picked up a pair of SDA-CRS (the first generation, with dual tweeters). I got em home, hooked em up (including an interconnect cable included with them) and it appears as though the outside mids speaker and the inside tweeter in the left channel aren't working working. Already double checked with my old pair of speakers to ensure it wasn't a problem somewhere else along the signal path.

Any suggestions on what to do? Is this related to the interconnect cable? Thanks!
Post edited by stropkoo on

Comments

• you have a air leak
  • rebelsoul wrote: »
    you have a air leak

Hey! Did a bit more troubleshooting -- I just *thought* it was the passive radiator because the sound was so tinny. Looks like it's actually the mids speaker on the right. Think it might be related to the interconnect?
  • Okay, update. Sorry, I'm a bit ignorant about all things audio -- thanks for your patience!

The mid drivers on the right channel are like, barely functioning. I can feel em vibrating, but they're not putting out nearly the volume (and seemingly only putting out high end). The right channel is totally devoid of bass. Does this seem consistent with an air leak?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Remove each midbass driver, plug it directly into the amp at low volume to make sure they are working right.

If they are, you may have a crossover issue and you most likely, regardless, have an air leak in the cabinet given the age of the speakers
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    edited September 2019
    ^^^^ agree^^^^ Clean IC cord blades/pins with DeOxit & blinding post.... IIRC you can remove the metal grill on the passive & check for leaks by pushing in (lightly) on the passive & hold it in & watch the 2 drivers go out. If they stay out for 3-5 seconds your good.... if they go back to rest position before 3 seconds - you have a cabinet leak... without the proper information here it can be a number of things.... But this is something that should be checked anyways. Snug up the screws.... I dont have the grill on mine :)
    Randy/Maine
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    stropkoo wrote: »
    Hi! Been a longtime fan of Polk (been using the 5JRs for a number of years) and just picked up a pair of SDA-CRS (the first generation, with dual tweeters). I got em home, hooked em up (including an interconnect cable included with them) and it appears as though the outside mids speaker and the inside tweeter in the left channel aren't working working. Already double checked with my old pair of speakers to ensure it wasn't a problem somewhere else along the signal path.

Any suggestions on what to do? Is this related to the interconnect cable? Thanks!

Hey Welcome! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    stropkoo wrote: »

You need a new driver and tweeter, they're cooked.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk