Amazon Music rolls out a lossless streaming tier that Spotify and Apple can’t match

WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,657
edited September 17 in Going Digital
Well, Well, Well! The competition heats up!

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/17/20869526/amazon-music-hd-lossless-flac-tier-spotify-apple
Amazon has a new, high-quality streaming tier of its music service called Amazon Music HD. It’s priced at $12.99 per month for Prime members ($14.99 per month for everyone else) and you can add it to your existing Amazon Music subscription for an additional $5 per month, whether you’re an individual or family plan subscriber. What you get for the additional cost is access to over 50 million songs in what Amazon is calling HD (16-bit, 44.1kHz or around what you’d expect from a CD), and then “millions” in Ultra HD (24-bit, up to 192kHz), which the company says is the highest available quality for any music streaming.

90 Day Free Trial: https://www.amazon.com/music/unlimited/hd?tag=mashable-editpost-20

FAMILY ROOM
HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster

Comments

• NightfallNightfall Posts: 8,487
    Great now we have to buy all new streaming equipment once they add Amazon.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,639
    edited September 17
    Is that $12.99 on top of Prime? If so, that is just a bit more than what we are paying for Apple Music (And if not I can pay the difference!). I wonder if I can get my dad to switch to this... and also if it'll work with The Marantz CDP's DAC (Tidal did when I tried it.)
    Not Tom or Trey or Jim just Micah
    KEF Q150s, NAD 1155 preamp and 4155 tuner courtesy of DaddyJT, NAD C352 playing power amp, BJC Belden cables, Technics SL3200, Marantz CD6004 courtesy of Clipdat, Salamander Archetype rack, Millenium Falcon :)
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.

Resident Child of Club Polk
  • tophatjohnnytophatjohnny Posts: 2,674
    WLDock wrote: »
    Well, Well, Well! The competition heats up!

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/17/20869526/amazon-music-hd-lossless-flac-tier-spotify-apple
    Amazon has a new, high-quality streaming tier of its music service called Amazon Music HD. It’s priced at $12.99 per month for Prime members ($14.99 per month for everyone else) and you can add it to your existing Amazon Music subscription for an additional $5 per month, whether you’re an individual or family plan subscriber. What you get for the additional cost is access to over 50 million songs in what Amazon is calling HD (16-bit, 44.1kHz or around what you’d expect from a CD), and then “millions” in Ultra HD (24-bit, up to 192kHz), which the company says is the highest available quality for any music streaming.

90 Day Free Trial: https://www.amazon.com/music/unlimited/hd?tag=mashable-editpost-20

24bit 192k may be the highest quality for streaming service..just not for streaming. Catch is, gear that can handle higher rates is needed to jump in that party and actually hear the beauty.

As for the free trial...oh heck yeah.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 5,090
    I wonder what app manufacturers will incorporate this first? My guess is BubbleUpnp since they already have Amazon cloud drive as one of their options.
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11, W4S recovery, Wireworld Platinum Starlight, PS Audio Direct Stream JR.

Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

• Just got it and from what I am hearing comparable to qobuz in sound quality. The plus is it has channels.
  • Time after time 24/96 sounds amazing sda
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 12,180
    How many of these streaming services do we need, especially when they all offer different artists. If there was one service that offered all songs in at least CD quality then I might try it, but as of now I will continue to buy CDs and download high-res files. I already have more music than I can ever listen to.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • gudnoyezgudnoyez Posts: 7,048
    edited September 17
    Hopefully Spotify will lose tons of customer's because of this, forcing them to do the same. I'm happy with Tidal as of now for myself but also carry a Spotify account for the Wife. If Spotify was to add a HD tier, then I would drop Tidal. Don't care for having to have a prime membership to Amazon to participate, don't do anything with Amazon anymore.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
    You don’t need Prime to use Amazon. It just costs a bit more without Prime.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • rebelsoulrebelsoul Posts: 63
    edited September 17
    12.99 with prime 14.99 without
    Better then tidal sound quality
    qobuz sound and have channels
    beautiful layout
    And more music then both of them
    BlueFox wrote: »

When's the last time you got a CD from Amazon without a cracked case? I quit ordering stuff from them because of it.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• This is great news! I also love that they are coming in with a 90 day trail rather than the typical 30 days. That's a much better timeframe to compare in my opinion.

Also, very very happy to see them pass on MQA for a pure 24/192 stream. I don't have a major beef with MQA, but I also kind of felt it would get bypassed at some point. I really hope this fires up Spotify to get in gear with lossless. Even if Spotify was $20/month I'd probably still stick with it because it is so well implemented into everything and is such a big part of my daily use and music sharing.

My question now is can I stream that Ultra HD straight to my CXN? Maybe via GoogleCast or Airplay? Anyone with more streaming experience have any ideas.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Sony CDP-CE375 / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > JBL Studio 580 or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • ThortonThorton Posts: 1,247
    gudnoyez wrote: »

When's the last time you got a CD from Amazon without a cracked case? I quit ordering stuff from them because of it.

I buy 4K blurays and CD's frequently from Amazon and not 1 has been cracked. Two came today in perfect condition. Could it be the carrier who covers your neighborhood?
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: W4S MC-5, AMP2: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • ThortonThorton Posts: 1,247
    I’m excited about this. Hopefully, it will integrate with Roon.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: W4S MC-5, AMP2: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics

What does that have to do with streaming? I rarely get a cracked case, but that is another reason to get a download from HDTracks if possible.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • It also lets me download the songs for free.
    Nothing it's just I've had dozens of shipments from them damaged due to insufficient packaging CDs, Blu Rays, stuffing them in a cushy envelope don't protect such items at all. I'm just not a fan of the whole Amazon way of doing things
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

How many of these streaming services do we need, especially when they all offer different artists. If there was one service that offered all songs in at least CD quality then I might try it, but as of now I will continue to buy CDs and download high-res files. I already have more music than I can ever listen to.

I'm with the Fox but as a prime member that 90 day free trial will (like Tidals free trial) give me even more appreciation for my personal library. Plus I might bump into some new artists that perk me up??. Always game to learn about new music.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • I was all set to sign up for the trial and then I did something that I know I shouldn't have done. I READ THE FINE PRINT
    The trial isn't for the Ultra HD 24/96-24/192 service. It's only for the HD 16/44.1 service that you can get from a couple of other streaming services.
    So I changed my mind.
    Living room Home theater: Upgrade Company modified Onkyo PR-SC5509,Sunfire Cinema grand Signature 5 channel amp(1st gen),Carver TFM-45,Carver M-400a,Panasonic TC-P50ST60 50" Plasma(last gen before Plasma production stopped)Pioneer Elite DVL-91,Meridian 519 Dolby AC-3 RF Demodulator,Oppo Digital UDP-205,TiVo Bolt VOX,Nakamich BX-300,Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type VxMR cartridge,Polk SDA-SRS 3.1 TL(with RD-0198 tweeters, upgraded with Larry's rings, black hole5,an Avel-Lindberg 1000VA isolation transformer, VR3 customer crossovers and internal wiring),Polk CS-1000P(with SL-6506 tweeter),Polk Monitor 5jr(with RD-0194 tweeters),Polk RT-35i (1),Polk Mini Monitors,Polk PSW150(4)Monster Power HTPS 7000 MKII Signature series,Monster Power AVS 2000 Signature Series,Various MIT,Monster,Upgrade Company and Belden interconnect,power,HDMI,Coax and Toslink Digital and speaker cables.

Bedroom 2 channel system:Integra DTM 40.4,Nakamichi BX-100,TiVo mini,Musical Fidelity X-LPS,X-PSU,Carver TFM-25,Sony KV-34XBR970(last of the widescreen tube sets before production stopped)Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type V MR cartridge,Polk RT-55(with SL-6506 tweeters),Polk PSW-200 in plexiglass(2),Sony Playstation 3 slim.Monster Power HTPS-7000,Monster AVS-2000, PowerVarious Kimber,Audioquest and MIT interconnects and speaker cables.
  • VR3VR3 Posts: 23,482
    What are you guys using to stream it?
    - Not Tom

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • hochpt21hochpt21 Posts: 5,185
    I have Amazon prime already for the shipping. I also use Spotify exclusively for streaming.

If Amazon’s HD Music interface is user friendly, then I would almost assuredly switch away from Spotify.
    Speakers - GoldenEar Triton 2
    Man Cave
    Turntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado Gold
    Integrated Amplifier - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II
    CD: Cambridge Audio
    Speakers - SDA 2A; Epos Epic 2
    The trial isn't for the Ultra HD 24/96-24/192 service. It's only for the HD 16/44.1 service that you can get from a couple of other streaming services.
    So I changed my mind.

I am Prime Member but never used their pay for music service before. I downloaded their player and started the trial. It is good for the Ultra HD tracks too. Got Springsteen's Thunder Road playing right now in 24 bit audio. Next up is The Clash's Should I Stay or Should I Go in 24 bit. Sounds really good.

There is a lot of popular and rock music content in 24 bit. Wasn't expecting something like Trimph's Magic Power from their Allied Forces LP to be on there, but it is.

There are gaps though. If looking for Mark Knopfler, his Sailing to Philadelphia and Shangri-La albums are in Ultra HD 24 bit but Golden Heart and Ragpicker's Dream in are HD (aka CD quality 16 bit audio). Almost all of Rush's albums are available in 24 bit.

1. Polk LSiM707, 704C, 703; Dual SVS SB2000 subwoofers; Marantz SR7011 receiver; Parasound A23 amp; Oppo 205; Sony 65" 4K TV; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S2 cables
    2. JM Labs Electra 920.1; Sonic Frontiers Line 3 Preamp; Classe Model 25 amp; Sony HAP-Z1ES; Oppo 105D; Music Hall MMF7 and Acoustech phono pre; PS Audio Power Director; MIT S1 Cables
    3. Polk LSiM703; Parasound JC2BP and A21; Sony 48" 4K TV; Wyred4Sound DAC 2; Oppo 203; Squeezebox Touch; MIT S3 cables
    Yes there is a charge for the 24 bit. 8 dollars a month more.
  • EmlynEmlyn Posts: 2,509
    I'm only seeing the $12.99 a month charge for the HD service that would start being applied in December. Doesn't seem to be a separate option or charge for the Ultra HD library. I know the Unlimited (SD format only) would be $7.99 a month for me since I have a Prime membership for other stuff. I think it says something in the offer that the free trial for 90 days doesn't apply if someone already had their Unlimited music service.
    1. Polk LSiM707, 704C, 703; Dual SVS SB2000 subwoofers; Marantz SR7011 receiver; Parasound A23 amp; Oppo 205; Sony 65" 4K TV; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S2 cables
    2. JM Labs Electra 920.1; Sonic Frontiers Line 3 Preamp; Classe Model 25 amp; Sony HAP-Z1ES; Oppo 105D; Music Hall MMF7 and Acoustech phono pre; PS Audio Power Director; MIT S1 Cables
    3. Polk LSiM703; Parasound JC2BP and A21; Sony 48" 4K TV; Wyred4Sound DAC 2; Oppo 203; Squeezebox Touch; MIT S3 cables
  • I just got the trial and thru the computer app to my dac i am getting 24/192
  • OleBootOleBoot Posts: 558
    I don't really get streaming. Maybe I'm too stuck in the past. I listen to a local university FM station (remember them?) for new music and then either download it from HD tracks or Super Hi Rez if it's available there, or order a CD from Amazon and RIP it, Similar for older re-releases or older stuff I missed at the time. I suppose if you listen to a huge diversity of tunes, streaming maybe makes sense as that would be cheaper than buying downloads/CDs.
  • rebelsoulrebelsoul Posts: 63
    edited September 17
    zvkhnx1fhnxs.jpg

3 months free -ultra hd and with prime 12.99 a month after trial.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,704

Nothing it's just I've had dozens of shipments from them damaged due to insufficient packaging CDs, Blu Rays, stuffing them in a cushy envelope don't protect such items at all. I'm just not a fan of the whole Amazon way of doing things

boom EXACTLY. Prreach it brother

edited September 17
    Interesting. I have hundreds of Blu-Ray disks, and they have never been damaged. Even cheapo CDs have only had a few broken cases.

To be watched
    bmg4rujmjau2.jpeg

Watched
    jw6raz2awh3y.jpeg
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Can you get the Ultra HD during the free trial without having a Prime membership in advance though?
    Living room Home theater: Upgrade Company modified Onkyo PR-SC5509,Sunfire Cinema grand Signature 5 channel amp(1st gen),Carver TFM-45,Carver M-400a,Panasonic TC-P50ST60 50" Plasma(last gen before Plasma production stopped)Pioneer Elite DVL-91,Meridian 519 Dolby AC-3 RF Demodulator,Oppo Digital UDP-205,TiVo Bolt VOX,Nakamich BX-300,Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type VxMR cartridge,Polk SDA-SRS 3.1 TL(with RD-0198 tweeters, upgraded with Larry's rings, black hole5,an Avel-Lindberg 1000VA isolation transformer, VR3 customer crossovers and internal wiring),Polk CS-1000P(with SL-6506 tweeter),Polk Monitor 5jr(with RD-0194 tweeters),Polk RT-35i (1),Polk Mini Monitors,Polk PSW150(4)Monster Power HTPS 7000 MKII Signature series,Monster Power AVS 2000 Signature Series,Various MIT,Monster,Upgrade Company and Belden interconnect,power,HDMI,Coax and Toslink Digital and speaker cables.

Bedroom 2 channel system:Integra DTM 40.4,Nakamichi BX-100,TiVo mini,Musical Fidelity X-LPS,X-PSU,Carver TFM-25,Sony KV-34XBR970(last of the widescreen tube sets before production stopped)Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type V MR cartridge,Polk RT-55(with SL-6506 tweeters),Polk PSW-200 in plexiglass(2),Sony Playstation 3 slim.Monster Power HTPS-7000,Monster AVS-2000, PowerVarious Kimber,Audioquest and MIT interconnects and speaker cables.