3D Printers

VR3
VR3 Posts: 27,968
edited July 2014 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I am looking to invest into a 3D printer next year.

I think my budget will be around 2K and I would *LIKE* to be able to manufacture up to a 6" cube with dual colors.

I have seen a few options out there, my plan is mid next year... I am curious if there are any honorable mentions to look out for and some to stay away from? Is there anything changing drastically in the next 8 months that I should be looking for?
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• VR3
    edited November 2013
    Thanks man -

I have several avenues I am looking to jump into and a 3D printer fills pretty much every void that are unanswered. It will definitely allow me to take what I am doing now to a whole other level with far less boundaries! :) Granted I am still about 6-8 months away from this...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited November 2013
    3D printing is the next hype in manufacturing and prices as you well probably know are dropping drastically. The more you stretch it out the better chances of getting a decent one on the used market, or a new one cheaper.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • GospelTruth
    GospelTruth Posts: 403
    edited November 2013
    I did a quick search to see what's out there. Here's a list of models and their reviews along with costs and features.

http://3d-printers.toptenreviews.com/

If you plan on doing all your own CAD work, then this will be fine. However if you want to replicate parts as well, you will need to get a good 3D scanner as well. We have a scanner and 3D printer on campus here, but the line to get anything done is too long for me during the school season. I'll have to wait until summer. They are very cool, and in the long run I see these coming way down in price. It will be nice to someday be able to printer our own replacement parts for older products.

Good luck! I'll be waiting to see what you think of them when you do get one.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited November 2013
    Exciting possibilities in a decade or so? But for now, aren't these printers just glorified "toys" that can only produce "plastic" based models? Admittedly, they can use computer 3D imaging and cameras to capture a very sophisticated semblance of the original...but it's still plastic?

Now when and if they can figure out how to get said printer to fabricate more "complex" materials and do so in one location on one machine or a few that pass the product to each other, there is NO end to the possibilities and "manufacturing" WILL become a thing of the PAST. It's a Star Trek future boys and girls; remember those lines in Star Trek TNG about how there is no money in their world and individuals do not work for base reasons like accumulation, possession and greed but for the advancement and betterment of themselves and "others". Yeah, it's Utopian. But isn't that where technological advances should be leading "us"? Ok, maybe not, I know how much you boys love hedge fund managers and the like. lol

As for me, I see this as the beginning of the end of "wage" labor as we know it and the birth of something wholly OTHER! Something beyond present conceptions that ennobles the "individual" and does not subsume him/her under a Gov't or an Economy? Because we don't need either of those in the new world. (Insert Realist fodder and backwash here________ [naysayers are always welcome; it's what they do best--keep things as they are]).

Pay not attention, I am simply tiptoeing through your dreams. A mere phantasm. Please don't wake up!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Hi guys! As for me, the best 3d printer for beginners is Wanhao Duplicator i3 mini.

https://www.wanhaousa.net/product-page/duplicator-i3-mini

The printer costs less than $ 200. But despite the simplicity of the design and low price, it makes high-quality models, especially if they are from PLA.

Here are some of the main pros and cons: Nothing needs to be further customized and invented. To start the printer and print the model you don't need any special knowledge. But this printer doesn't have any heated platform, the case is open and the print area is small but it still large enough for most projects.

If you want to know more about how to choose the 3d printer and make the right decision, I will recommend reading this article. It was very helpful to me.

Good luck with your choice! :)
  • VR3
    Spam
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    PLA ? People's Liberation Army ??
    :#
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    DSkip wrote: »
    I miss cnh.

The PLA reminded you of him, eh?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    The big learning curve for these things is the 3D CAD work required. I have a laser cutter and can crank out AutoCAD 2D drawings at home to feed that thing all day long.

In 3D world, I use Catia and Solidworks professionally but mainly for assembly visualization vs printing. Getting a 3D file correct to successfully print a 3D model takes a bit of time to master but don't expect to be perfect the first time. Plenty of free programs such as Blender and Sketchup out there to play with before plunking down hard cash for a "real" program or these days, a monthly subscription. I've had a couple of 3D printers at home in the past (under $1K) to support my other hobby but due to the overall quality and constantly changing technology have kicked them out the door. I've even printed a few things on our work printer that probably cost more than my yearly salary but wasn't happy with the surface roughness.

I highly suggest you try your hand at mastering 3D software skills and then send the file to Shapeways (www.shapeways.com) for printing to see if they can meet your expectations since I assume you're thinking of using this in a business application. One, they will "fix" any file errors you might have and feedback so you can learn from mistakes and two you can select materials and finishes to actually touch examples of what you're making without costly investments that might not be what you need.

I mainly print parts for my model train insanity so the small sizes make surface finishes critical and printers that can meet (at least my) expectations are a little out of reach if I plan to keep playing in the audio hobby as well. Shapeways invest in the latest and greatest technology and can print basically any material with almost any surface quality one desires. I use their "fine detail plastic" but they can do multi-color polyjet and even metals.

I have zero association with Shapeways other than sending them my credit card number every few weeks.....

Robby
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• RobbyKY wrote: »
    In 3D world, I use Catia and Solidworks professionally but mainly for assembly visualization vs printing. Getting a 3D file correct to successfully print a 3D model takes a bit of time to master but don't expect to be perfect the first time.

Robby

Robby,

i recommends you to try TinkerCAD. It's free soft and very useful for 3d printing.
  • VR3
    I almost regret making this thread
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I picked this baby up recently from CL. Price was right - free! Everything works, came with extra spools, and accessories. Some shop wear, but good condition. Now what to do with it? :) We have many 3D printers at work, we'll print some parts as needed for our prototype vehicles, until the production tools become ready.

XYZ Da Vinci 1st gen (stock pic)

9vdgtmedgxfz.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.