I've been here off and on for a while and now have some questions/statements.

I just jot my RD0198 from Sam and installed them on the left channel so see how much of a difference I might detect between 198 and 3000's, not much guys.

My 2.3 are in very good shape and was hyped about the upgrade.

I have a Yamaha M65 which seemed a little weak, so I got a Carver TFM 25 which livened things up, but mot so much with the 198's. Have to be honest, my friends Carver Platinums and Amazing Silvers :D

Also, according to the instructions, if I paraphrase correctly, state, to test weather the interconnect and sda effect is working, press the mono button and move balance left to right etc. I did so and got the desired result. But to be honest, I'm not getting the wow factor that everyone is talking about.

I'm not technical in any way but have pretty good ears and enjoy a variety of music.

I'm in Calgary Canada.

Comments

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited September 2019
    peterdulux wrote: »
    My 2.3 are in very good shape
    You've replaced the ancient capacitors in the crossovers? Generally recommended to replace the resistors, and at least the SDA inductor as well.

Cabinet stuffing pulled up where it belongs? No air leaks (push-test results are acceptable?)

Speakers are set-up properly in the room? No toe-in as needed with the Carver speakers. Typically within a few inches of the wall behind them, and 3+ feet from side-walls.

All three tweeters in each cabinet are functional? A paper-towel or **** cardboard core can help isolate the individual tweeters to check that they work.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Need more info about how you have them set up. Also, the Carver amp was good, but still way under-powered for driving the 2.3TL's. The tweets are not a subtle upgrade, and you are not hearing what they can do if you have a blended sound from a set of SL3K's in one speaker and RDO's in the other.

Your speakers should have at least three feet off of the side walls, 6 feet between them and no more than 6 inches off the back wall. They should be placed on the long wall of a rectangular room. High current amplification is more important than watts IMHO, and that little Carver is capable of neither.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Do you have the 2.3 or 2.3TL because the RD0198 is the wrong tweeter for the 2.3.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• No, to all of that.
    Schurkey wrote: »
    My 2.3 are in very good shape
    You've replaced the ancient capacitors in the crossovers? Generally recommended to replace the resistors, and at least the SDA inductor as well.

Cabinet stuffing pulled up where it belongs? No air leaks (push-test results are acceptable?)

Speakers are set-up properly in the room? No toe-in as needed with the Carver speakers. Typically within a few inches of the wall behind them, and 3+ feet from side-walls.

All three tweeters in each cabinet are functional? A paper-towel or **** cardboard core can help isolate the individual tweeters to check that they work.
    2.3 TL, and I'm just starting out and a complete newbie.
    Room is 12.5 ft x 22ft. Room is not complete yet so length can change. It's just concrete basement. Not optimal, but I thought I'd get the effect regardless.

Wondering if I should move everything along the long wall? As per noshinjohn? Opposed to stuffing it in to the 12.5 wall.
    F1nut wrote: »
    Do you have the 2.3 or 2.3TL because the RD0198 is the wrong tweeter for the 2.3.
  • nooshinjohn
    Sounds like you have a LOT of work to do before you can properly evaluate the speakers, but welcome to Club Polk. It is an exciting time to be joining our merry little band of troublemakers.

Hold tightly to your wallet as we are notorious for helping others spend their money! :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    You need at the minimum a 15 foot wall. Something is seriously wrong if you can't tell the difference between the SL3000, the RD0198 and think the Carver speakers are more dynamic.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Did the push test, all speakers moved and held to a degree.
    All tweeters do work, top ones more predominantly, supposed to be that way, correct?
    Moved speakers closer to back wall 6 inches of so, no toe in.

Where is the stuffing supposed to be up to?

Will move the system to the long wall to see if it makes a difference.

Takes a bit to get things done between work and new (remodelling) house.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited September 2019
    Stuffing is behind the midwoofers only. If it has slipped down behind the passive pull it up to the top of cabinet aligning with the bottom of the lowest midwoofer and top of cabinet. Both of mine were the same length on both sides so the dimensional side will have some lower at the same level as the stereo side top to bottom of woofer.

Yes the tweeters are correct, they are a progressive point source. top is louder than bottom
  • nooshinjohn
    Did the push test, all speakers moved and held to a degree.
    All tweeters do work, top ones more predominantly, supposed to be that way, correct?
    Moved speakers closer to back wall 6 inches of so, no toe in.

Where is the stuffing supposed to be up to?

Will move the system to the long wall to see if it makes a difference.

Takes a bit to get things done between work and new (remodelling) house.

Get a more robust amp to push them as well.

• Don't forget, the new Tweeters take some time to come about.