Mission 700 Speaker rebuild - phase I

ALL212
ALL212 Posts: 1,553
edited September 2019 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
My brother has had these for a few years and the foam around the woofers is gone. So we're taking the opportunity to do a rebuild of the woofers and crossovers.

ei9txc6h9otw.jpg

These boxes are a bit unique in that the woofer sits on top and the port is below the tweeter. The speakers are also fixed in the back of the front panel with brackets and the grill is not removeable.

fg7fe1m33g16.jpg

Woofers went off to MillerSound for Bill to do his magic on them. They came back perfect as was expected.

ypi851e49037.jpg

Tweets are probably Seas?

fc0i1xesyz5l.jpg

The crossover components were removed completely.

khlizyeby5bc.jpg

and replaced with some better components.

pqtzx0tm1nwi.jpg

Phase two will involve some inner bracing and a new back panel but for this round I'm reusing existing parts as needed. Since the port is in the middle of the bottom I split the crossover components. Woofer on left and tweeter on right.

quc6lwf86zx4.jpg

Placed the damping back in again and off we go.

n7yp9hu0a9et.jpg

They sound very nice!
Aaron
Enabler Extraordinaire

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    Very Nice Aaron.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    I like the classic Missions... Nicely done.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited September 2019
    Sweet!

Are those 700s or 70s? I've never heard of 700s, and they look like 70s, but I'm not an expert on Missions. edit: After a brief Google, 700s are very much a thing. :)

All the Mission speakers I've seen (Relatively few) used Vifa drivers. They could have also used Seas, but I've only seen Vifa. And the mid over tweeter started to become a trend for Mission during this era. They still do that to this day.

You got yourself a great set of speakers, as you already know! Happy listening! :)
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    Nice rebuild. What is the 2way with the Scan Speak drivers? DIY?
  • ALL212
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Sweet!

Are those 700s or 70s? I've never heard of 700s, and they look like 70s, but I'm not an expert on Missions. edit: After a brief Google, 700s are very much a thing. :)

All the Mission speakers I've seen (Relatively few) used Vifa drivers. They could have also used Seas, but I've only seen Vifa. And the mid over tweeter started to become a trend for Mission during this era. They still do that to this day.

You got yourself a great set of speakers, as you already know! Happy listening! :)

The badge was still attached and said 700's. I still can't find a picture of these things. Might be an odd short run or possibly mis-badged?
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    FTGV wrote: »
    Nice rebuild. What is the 2way with the Scan Speak drivers? DIY?

Those...those are my babies!! They are Odyssey Audio Lorelei's but soon to be replaced by their big brothers, the Liquids. If all goes well I'll be heading to Indy to pick them up in a couple of weeks.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • FTGV
    Ah Ok. A Scan tweeter and woofer are usually a recipe for a very musical 2way.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    ALL212 wrote: »
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Sweet!

The badge was still attached and said 700's. I still can't find a picture of these things. Might be an odd short run or possibly mis-badged?

No, I think that is correct. Like I said in the previous post edit, I googled it and it came up with pictures of what I would have labeled 70s. AFAIK, all Their speakers had to be bought in Britain and shipped across the pond (as far as I know that was the case for all their speakers at the time, but I'm not sure. None of their new stuff can be bought from America) but maybe the 700s are a US equivalent to the 70s? Who knows. Maybe the Mission production line was akin to the early Polk line... ;)

Maybe I'll do a bit of research on that issue tomorrow. :)
  • FTGV
    Some early Missions were built in Toronto Canada. Not sure which model(s).
  • ALL212
    ya...dis is da kanuk bersion...
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • Nice Work! Don't you just love restoring something back into original or better condition?
  • ALL212
    Phase II

Vertical is offset so it clears the port.
    p79q2gph9uvo.jpeg

Damping back in place.
    7td4ir5o6z10.jpeg

And no pic with the new backs... :s
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire