SDA 2B crossover boards...

I have a pair of 4th gen speakers with the BE1807 B boards in them and found a pair of boards that are BE1807 A. Is there any difference in these two that would prevent me from doing the cap upgrade and just switching them out?

Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    I can find no reference to the BE1807A board in my material. Is it from the blade/blade 2B?

Regardless, you are much better off replacing the original boards with Gimpod's custom SDA crossover boards.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• I don't know if they were B/B or not, does that make a difference? I've scoured the forums and found pictures of these with the A and they look the same as the B. Only reason I want to upgrade these is to limit my down time.
    fdptvm9glm56.jpg
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    It only takes a few hours to remove the crossovers, upgrade them and reinstall them.

You are still much better off using the larger and far superior Gimpod boards. Film/foil caps are considerably larger than the stock caps.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• You make a nice sales pitch! Really just wanted to take my time with these and I can't find any difference. Is there anything different between b/b and b/p?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Trust us once you fanagle and contort to stack just right to get it all somewhat to fit, Gimpods boards are a godsend. I've done my fair share of rebuild on the older boards and will now go out of my way to use the new gimpod boards. He spent considerable time designing them to allocate plenty of room for a time saving rebuild and for the money it is well spent on them.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,740
    @MrNaturl , I heeded the advice here when I bought my 2B's and upgraded my X-overs. After looking at the stock boards with all the upgraded components crammed on them, Gimpods boards was the easiest decision I've made.

Here's a pic of Gimpods boards with the 2BTL upgrade....extremely well laid out. Cannot recommend enough.

yd2oe9kbbbdh.jpg

• Don't look at it so much as a sales pitch but friendly advice. I built the new boards as far as I could up to the inductors, and then one evening added the inductors, and they were done.

Here is a link to the Gimpod site for some more information.
    http://www.gimpod.com/partsp2b.html
  • It's all good, those are some really nice boards! I appreciate the input from each of you. I bought these speakers new back in '91 and they still sound great, but I'm sure they could use refreshing in the crossover. I already have the 194's in them so I've been going back and forth on TL'ing selling the 194's going 198's. I picked up these other boards kind of cheap, so to conserve some I'm going to use them. Plus, I can take my time have my speakers to listen to whilst I work on them...and it helps they're wife approved too!