Are 900LS suitable for rear channels

As the title suggests, I am wondering if the 900LS is a reasonable option for rear channels (6 and 7) for the 7.1 portion of the hometheater I am putting together. I was going to use 700LS x6 for in-ceiling atmos speakers and then further back the 900LS. I would use the 500LS x6 for atmos, but everyone seems to be out of them aaaaand the 700s are 147 each from amazon (not FULFILLED by amazon). The other option i was thinking of were the Revel C763L (I can get a really good deal on them) because they were "angled at the listener" shall we say. Here's a quick link for reference so you understand what I am saying... https://www.crutchfield.com/p_265C763LA/Revel-C763L.html?tp=193

They will sit at the same height (about 12ft) as the atmos dedicated units (700s)

I have to genuinely wonder though, how critical is this? The angle that is. How much info is REALLY coming out of those channels and is the slight angle of the Revels REALLY going to make that difference to my ears? I'd rather have a system that is more closely matched in terms of drivers and more specifically those ring radiators I love so well.

For reference, fronts are M707s, sides are 265LS, center is an older but MASSIVE Paradigm. As such in this scenario, everything, assuming I went with the 900s, would be Polk short of the center, which at 70# and pushing 4ft wide is fairly stout.... and kinda unique.

Any input is welcome, this is a big, and kinda pricey, decision.

THX yall

Comments

• For the money, I'd consider using the 700-ls for rear surround, as well as the in ceiling atmos. Then, grab yourself a Lsim-706 or 704 center channel while they're heavily discounted, to have a more cohesive collection. Sounds like you love that beast of a paradigm, though.

From what I understand of atmos, you would only want an angled speaker if your ability to place the in ceiling atmos speakers was compromised. If you're able to place the in ceiling atmos speakers as per Dolby specifications, then I'd just get a non angled speaker, such as the 700-ls.

Good luck!
    Main: Polk Rti-38
    Center: Polk Csi-40
    Rear: Polk Fxi-30
    Sub: SVS PB10-isd
    Receiver: Marantz SR-5007
    Buttkicker Mini Concert x 4
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited September 2019
    There is not enough information out there yet for anyone to really say much. They were just launched yesterday, but based on the product description, I would say no in this case.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited September 2019
    Graboids wrote: »
    They will sit at the same height (about 12ft) as the atmos dedicated units (700s)

Of course for the best effects you'll want to follow Dolby's recommendations. The FRONT, SIDE, and REAR speakers should be at ear level....or the REARS should be no more that 1.25 times the height of the front. They don't recommend the rears in the ceiling if you can prevent this.

As far as the height speakers, its all about using a wide dispersion timber matched speaker mounted at the right angle to the listing position. For sure something to consider given your 12ft tall ceiling. Polk does not give any off-axis data so its a guess on the dispersion of the 700-LS.

Also I agree on picking up the LSiM706c center that currently on sale. Its a very capable beast of a center and will be timber matched to your LSiM707's. The BIG Paradigm centers are cool and maybe its not a huge difference if you keep it. However, if timber matching betters the experience even a little it might be worth it. Only you can decide. I liked the LSiM706c better than the massive CS1000p center with built-in powered subwoofers that I had! If that's worth anything... I found the 706c to be more refined and detailed with good controlled low end.

CS1000p - 34"w x 14"d x 8.6"h - 55.9 lbs !!!
    x107CS1KPR-F_MT.jpeg
    https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/dolby-atmos-dispersion-requirements-for-ceiling-speakers/

https://www.cepro.com/article/5_crucial_tips_for_dolby_atmos_setups_5_best_demo_scenes
    Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited September 2019
    There is not enough information out there yet for anyone to really say much. They were just launched yesterday, but based on the product description, I would say no in this case.

The OP was referring to these: :)
    900LSnew.jpg

Not that the new L800 was referenced but....for the record... Polk stated that one could go "ALL IN" with SDA in the rear for an immersive experience. $6K rear channel.... only heavy deep pockets hitters need apply. LOL! https://youtu.be/LrrNZJrT_CI?t=734
    polk_legend_l800_brown_studio_left-640x640.jpg
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2