Stylus Cleaners

Had a bottle of Last stylus cleaner. Lid got cracked, fluid evaporated. Also have an onzow zerodust. In the past I used the onzow frequently & the Last probably every dozen records or so. Haven't noticed any negatives to not using the Last, but then again I don't have the ability to scope the stylus. Was using both overkill? I'm not inclined to spend $29 to replace the Last. Thoughts?

Dave's anal retentive question of the day.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    edited August 2019
    I recently purchased the zerodust cleaner as well. So far so good.

I would assume you'd be good with just the zerodust, no need to double up on methods.

71r3TFiooCL._SL1500_.jpg
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,163
    edited August 2019
    I have used Magic Eraser with good results - just gently lower the stylus into it and lift the stylus up. Lots of info online about it and it is a good cheap alternative to other dedicated products.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Looks like it could just as easily be called MOZNO :D

Yeah Dave, I think using both is a little excessive. FWIW, I use the Audio Technica AT607 stuff when necessary. I normally just use a dry brush between album sides, and only use the liquid cleaner when I notice something stubborn.

Anyone know how strong that magnifying glass is on the Onzow? I use a little 40X illuminated jewelers loupe from Amazon.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I also use the Magic Eraser with good results. As Pglbook says
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    I use a drop of 90% isopropyl alcohol on my stylus brush and use it ever so cautiously on my mc stylus with it's human hair thin cantilever.
  • BDT
    BDT Posts: 212
    edited August 2019
    I've used the same Onzow since, oh, 2006....never a problem.

Figure the lifespan on it and the cost is negligible.

BDT
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 305
    I can recommend the Nagaoka Hi Clean liquid. I use it along with Magic Eraser.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Magic Eraser scares me...I've read a few horror stories. However, I have used it myself on occasion, but not in accordance with most popular online processes.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    when used as directed Magic Erasers are both safe and effective.

IME and IMO, YMMV, etc. Talk to your physician or health care professional before using this product.

B)
  • Getting a1 size paper are now easy with paper size companies.