Amp to pair Altec Santiagos

I just picked up a pair of Santiagos. I currently have them paired with a Dynaco ST70. I know they are not as efficient as Valencias and I’m wondering how much power they need.

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited August 2019
    Nice! Obi-wan has taught you well.

;)

I am very biased (pun partially intended) -- I used mine with single-ended 2A3 amplification and from my perspective, they kicked b-u-tt and took names (so to say). :)

They are less sensitive than the Valencias, but they're still plenty sensitive.
    SE 300B (ca. 8 watts) would probably be better but they're fine with SE 2A3 (ca. 3 watts) IMO. Very fine indeed.

I think I've mentioned to you before (EDIT: I know I have; I checked, sorry!) -- I think the Santiago is the best-kept Altec secret. Altec fanbois eschew 'em, so they tend to be cheap (mine were 200 smackers) but they actually sound, to me, better than Valencias, in the sense that they have considerably deeper LF response. That does come at the expense of a few dB of sensitivity (I think the treble is contoured to match the "Dynamic Force" woofer in a sealed box alignment, too).

Got an "Amp Camp Amp" or a good sounding Class D amp handy? Either of those would be well worth a try, too.

I'd expect them to be a little syrupy with a stock ST-70 (i.e., stock driver configuration).

I'm very, very biased but I HTH, as they say :)

EDIT: Oh -- are they 878A or 878B Santiagos?

9598891997_cb427c3552_b.jpgDSC_5663 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

• mhardy6647
    edited August 2019
    I would go SE rather than PP if it's practical (and FWIW). A notch more there-ness with a single-ended amplifier (DHT strongly preferred, again IMO and FWIW).

I've been reflecting on this opportunity, though, since I posted before... a nice PP EL84 amplifier wouldn't be a bad choice, either. A Dynaco ST-35 would be... well worth a try, if the OP happened to find one lurking about. Heck, he found a pair of Santiagos! ;)

• @mhardy6647 I followed your advice (I don’t know much but I know enough to listen to someone who does know). If I was actively looking for a pair of Santiagos I would never find them. These came up for sale in Tulsa (I’m in Dallas). I happened to have a business meeting scheduled for Tulsa so everything fell into place. I flew up to Tulsa, rented a car and drove them back to Dallas. A person I consider very knowledgeable told me I would need 35 watts to drive them, so I hooked them up to the Dynaco. Last night I paired them with as Dennis Had SET amp (about 8 watts) and they sound great. They are 878As.
  • @Dskip. Thanks for the offer. They sound pretty good with the flea amp, but any suggestions you have will certainly be appreciated.
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2019
    I have lots of opinions -- how much I know would be a matter for debate (at best) :)

Cool, though, that you found them! I like Santiagos. It's OK with me if the prices of them skyrocket with my (our?!) endorsement -- since we've already got ours. ;)

Yeah, you were lookin' for SET amp-friendly speakers, right?

PS gold star for effort on snaggin' those! :)

PPS even Altec recommended "only" 20 watts minimum for the "B" morph :|
    04wr2g5jxrb0.png

In seriousness, it all depends (IMO) upon the room (size and acoustics), the program material and one's personal taste and expectations.

If @DSkip has, say, an SE amp using 211 or 845 DHTs as output tubes gatherin' dust in a closet or somethin', that would be fun to try with Santiagos ;)

• @mhardy6647 I bought a pair of Heresy IIs since I didn’t think I would find a pair of Santiagos anytime soon. I think the Santiagos sound way better than the Heresys. The good news is that it will be relatively easy to sell the Heresys if I decide to thin the herd.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Send DSKIP a PM, he's is your area too and has many higher quality amps you may fancy.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    @mhardy6647 I bought a pair of Heresy IIs since I didn’t think I would find a pair of Santiagos anytime soon. I think the Santiagos sound way better than the Heresys. The good news is that it will be relatively easy to sell the Heresys if I decide to thin the herd.

I would certainly expect 'em to ;)

Yup, one of the best things about the "heritage" Klipsch is their resale value. B)

• mhardy6647
    tonyb wrote: »
    Send DSKIP a PM, he's is your area too and has many higher quality amps you may fancy.

He already chimed in with an offer to the OP @tonyb -- see above. :)