Going on record....

Options
DIGITAL SUCKS!!

Let me explain myself a bit... three days ago, my computer crashed due to an internal power supply failure. I replaced the power supply only to find out that my hard drive was bricked because of the failure. I purchased a new desktop PC, installed the needed recovery software, and spend the past 48 hours waiting for it to recover all my files from the crashed hard drive. Today I picked up another external drive and connected it to store the recovered files... it will take 6 days to store them all.

I do have almost all of my stuff backed up on another drive, so nothing except my LP’s that I digitized would have been lost, and perhaps a few photos, but even using the backup would have left me without music for a week. Thankfully, it was all backed up, but having no access to music while all this crap gets sorted really sucks.
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    That sucks john. Been there! BUT you can get 2tb of google drive for about $8 a month. You’ll basically never lose your music. But if your house burns down or you get robbed you’ll never get your physical media back. Everything has its trade offs...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    Always keep a serious back up!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,322
    Options
    6 days? Damn...

I keep 2 backups in one of the gun safes, plus the drive I leave hooked up to the music system, PLUS the internal drive on the computer. And my son has a drive hooked up to his system.

Are you using USB 3.0? I can create a full backup from scratch in about 30 hours. That’s 3tb of FLAC, and 2tb of mp3. You must have A LOT of music....
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    That's an affirmative; I'll bet digital does suck.......... especially when compared to a CA Goldfinger cart where it doesn't even stand a chance :D
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    That's an affirmative; I'll bet digital does suck.......... especially when compared to a CA Goldfinger cart where it doesn't even stand a chance :D
    The vinyl rips I have done... I cannot hear a difference between the LP and the digital copy.

Once I get things back in service, I will be a happy camper again, but it is going to be a while. Once I have things on the new backup drive, I will need to reinstall them on the NAS I am building, and back things up to a second external drive.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 366
    Options
    I don’t know the size of your music library, so I don’t know how feasible or costly this option might be, but have you considered a RAID setup? Forgive me if you’re already very familiar with it, or perhaps your setup that crashed was already a RAID setup... but anyway you can have it mirror the data from one or multiple drives onto other drives so that it’s harder to lose everything. You probably already know about it, but thought I’d mention.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Perfect.
    Sound.
    Forever.

:)

The "digital revolution", broadly, created a whole class of activities that I refer to as metawork. It's like work (i.e., it takes time and effort -- folks may even pay for one to do it) but it's completely useless and pointless when viewed from a holistic perspective of human endeavor :) I used to think about this when I was creating dashboards for projects, or even just going through e-mails, back in those barbaric times when I used to work for a living (and have money and stuff) ;)

IMO, of course.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some telegraphin' to do.
    Where'd I put that dynamo?

:|

Rock on with yo bad thing, @nooshinjohn :)

wqwn88invtnb.png
  • Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    Options
    No one wants to go through that! Good reason to research and purchase a separate RAID/storage device with redundant drives to house all your music. Computer can crash, heck a drive on the storage device can go down, and with proper mirroring, you can keep on keepin' on. Just replace the failed drive and have the unit rebuild the newly inserted drive with minimal (or in some cases - none) downtime.
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,337
    Options
    Power supplies can be dangerous. I bought a new computer and sat the old one in the basement to get the data off the drive later. When I turned on the old computer, the power supply fan spun wildly, smoke poured out and then it was dead. Everything was DEAD, as in anything that was plugged into the mother board (hard drive, video, sound card or USB ports (WIFI dongle, mouse, keyboard) were fried.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited August 2019
    Options
    That suxs. My, at least, decade old Dell Windows XP desktop still works, but is slower that s h i t, and noisy. I just bought a Dell laptop that is really freaking quiet, and runs Windows 10. Now I need to get the relevant info off the XP and onto the 10.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    Do it sooner rather than later Bud.