Going on record....

DIGITAL SUCKS!!

Let me explain myself a bit... three days ago, my computer crashed due to an internal power supply failure. I replaced the power supply only to find out that my hard drive was bricked because of the failure. I purchased a new desktop PC, installed the needed recovery software, and spend the past 48 hours waiting for it to recover all my files from the crashed hard drive. Today I picked up another external drive and connected it to store the recovered files... it will take 6 days to store them all.

I do have almost all of my stuff backed up on another drive, so nothing except my LP’s that I digitized would have been lost, and perhaps a few photos, but even using the backup would have left me without music for a week. Thankfully, it was all backed up, but having no access to music while all this crap gets sorted really sucks.
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”

Comments

• rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,669
    That sucks john. Been there! BUT you can get 2tb of google drive for about $8 a month. You’ll basically never lose your music. But if your house burns down or you get robbed you’ll never get your physical media back. Everything has its trade offs...
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
  • tophatjohnnytophatjohnny Posts: 2,479
    Always keep a serious back up!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • daddyjtdaddyjt Posts: 919
    6 days? Damn...

I keep 2 backups in one of the gun safes, plus the drive I leave hooked up to the music system, PLUS the internal drive on the computer. And my son has a drive hooked up to his system.

Are you using USB 3.0? I can create a full backup from scratch in about 30 hours. That’s 3tb of FLAC, and 2tb of mp3. You must have A LOT of music....
    Too much stuff to keep track of.

Currently enjoying: Legacy Focus 20/20, McCormack DNA 225, Bill D C1, Oppo 105
  • motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 1,258
    That's an affirmative; I'll bet digital does suck.......... especially when compared to a CA Goldfinger cart where it doesn't even stand a chance :D
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 20,809
    That's an affirmative; I'll bet digital does suck.......... especially when compared to a CA Goldfinger cart where it doesn't even stand a chance :D
    The vinyl rips I have done... I cannot hear a difference between the LP and the digital copy.

Once I get things back in service, I will be a happy camper again, but it is going to be a while. Once I have things on the new backup drive, I will need to reinstall them on the NAS I am building, and back things up to a second external drive.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”