Some kind of bias

Been trying all sorts of speakers for a while now.

They all bring positives/negatives to the table, seeing how it's been a while, I lugged in the SDA2, got em in place, loaded a cd, rolled the pre to about 10am on the dial, man they hit it great.

Still haven't got to Indy to get my ears on some Sonus yet,

I really enjoy the sound from these 20+ year old speakers.

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited August 2019
    I think that many of us have our "safe spaces" in sound reproduction, sometimes deeply ingrained. :)

Note that this is not a criticism!

I have a vivid memory of my first experiences listening to Polk Monitor 7s and 10s -- the quality of their reproduction, especially of acoustic instruments, was new-to-me at the time (1976!) and helped to set a standard for quality midrange reproduction that I still cleave to.

I've taken that to a different end in the past 20 years (?!?!), but my Leitmotif has stayed the same.

I.e., this is my typically solipsistic, egocentric way of sayin' no need to feel any guilt or to harbor any second thoughts on your preferences; rock on with yo' bad thang.

B)
  • mhardy6647
    oh.
    In terms of bias.
    Class A, all the way ;)

beueg269imuw.png
    e1dfmqkypajc.png
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    oh.
    In terms of bias.

No! No! No! Non-radial tires. Sort ya.....belts.
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2019
    Viking64 wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    oh.
    In terms of bias.

No! No! No! Non-radial tires. Sort ya.....belts.

Funnily enough, I considered going the tyre route in my response, as well...

:*

https://youtu.be/Zip4QyJyD5g

EDIT: But we digress.
    Sorry, @oldrocker! :/
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    oldrocker wrote: »
    Ok, I'm out.

come on Dave give the poor fellows a break you crotchety ol'puck

:D:D:D

OH WAIT SQUIRREL
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438

They all bring positives/negatives to the table, seeing how it's been a while, I lugged in the SDA2, got em in place, loaded a cd, rolled the pre to about 10am on the dial, man they hit it great.

That right there tells ya you bought some great speakers. Enjoy. Good luck on the Sonus's
    Randy/Maine
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2019
    Ok, I'm out.

Oh, I hope not! :o:( I think it is a very interesting topic, which is why my first response was legit. Maybe not the response you expected/wanted, but legit.

I am, unfortunately, not a big SDA fan -- I think the real magic of the Polk line lay in their smaller, less complex products -- but I wholeheartedly concur with your thesis in principle.

• oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Ok, I'm out.

come on Dave give the poor fellows a break you crotchety ol'puck

:D:D:D

OH WAIT SQUIRREL

I tried the egg/banana thing again, this time on a spoon thus the quick departure from the conversation. PHEW.......

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627

We have owned a few dozen pairs over the last several years, and no matter which set we have hooked up, after a few minutes they sound great.

They all sound different, but I think as humans we acclimate to any sound as long as it is somewhat close to our ideal.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    K_M wrote: »
    We have owned a few dozen pairs over the last several years, and no matter which set we have hooked up, after a few minutes they sound great.

I'll put this as nicely as possible. That's is not normal.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• oldrocker
    I agree that acclimation has merit in many cases but the factors in each case are almost limitless, at least for me to experience some sort of audio bliss.

Probably more psychological for me.

I've been trying many many different combinations, some just did not sound good to my ears, even after ample break in time.

For some reason it seems easier for me to discover what doesn't work for my ears than what does, which I'm thankful for.

Ain't this hobby great I LOVE IT B)
  • K_M
    I agree that acclimation has merit in many cases but the factors in each case are almost limitless, at least for me to experience some sort of audio bliss.

Probably more psychological for me.

I've been trying many many different combinations, some just did not sound good to my ears, even after ample break in time.

For some reason it seems easier for me to discover what doesn't work for my ears than what does, which I'm thankful for.

Ain't this hobby great I LOVE IT B)

yeah now if we A/B them there are winners and losers, but every speaker we chose had qualities that we liked, and you forget them if not used in a while them it comes back to you.
  • oldrocker
    Yep

Talk about A/B winner/losers, I'm running a 301 and my new single 11.5 to get some hours on the 11.5 :D

Other one will be here in the morning.

Optimistic about the 11.5's.
  • K_M
    F1nut wrote: »
    K_M wrote: »

I'll put this as nicely as possible. That's is not normal.

The attributes of each speaker are different, so after a few minutes listening, the strengths that we like when initially purchased are evident again.

A bit of nostalgia, and simply remembering why you liked something to begin with.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    Uh-huh
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk