Epos K1i bookshelf speakers

Options
Clipdat
Clipdat Posts: 12,599
Epos, the loudspeaker division of Creek Audio, has ceased it's speaker production and the US retailers are currently selling off their remaining inventory.

On a whim, I purchased a pair of the K1i bookshelf speakers for $450 shipped from Underwood Wally. They're also available for $400 here from Music Direct, including an open box pair for $350 which is a great deal: https://www.musicdirect.com/Search?searchterm=epos&sort=popularity|DESC&page=1&pagesize=24&c1=tab-products&c2=grid

I wanted a front ported design to compare against other speakers I have, and to use when reviewing products. I figured at half off I don't have much to lose, as long as they sound pretty good.

I tried them out last night and was pleasantly surprised at how good they sounded fresh out of the box with zero hours on them.

The treble dispersion is wide and seamless, with excellent soundstage width and imaging performance. It's really spectacular how nicely the treble energy from each tweeter meshes together, it's a palpable sensation in my ears!

Bass is tight, deep, and the furthest thing from boomy - no mid-bass bloat whatsoever.

My only critique would be with the midrange, it seems a little dry and empty at the moment which is probably due to the lack of time on the crossover. Hopefully that will improve as they break in.

Anyway, just wanted to share my excitement over these small overachievers! A great deal at this $400 price point.

Comments

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Frequency Response is similar to the KEF Q150's:

Epos K1i = 51 Hz - 30 kHz
    88 dB @ 4 ohms
    $399

KEF Q150 = 51 Hz - 28 kHz
    86 dB @ 8 ohms
    $549 (on sale for $299 from time to time).
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Thank You for sharing Drew. Good to have entry level options for folks looking to dip their toes in.