Tube code help

I have on loan some Phillips E88CC Miniwatt SQ tubes(thanks agn Kerry!). The only coding I can find on these shows 2 lines...the first is just LB and the other is 15C2. I have no idea how to make anything of this. Help?
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    Can you post a pic? That doesn't sound like a European tube code. Where is in on the tube?

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    I don’t know H9 ...Little slow on the uptake, eh? ... 2 minute response time :D:D
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • heiney9
    Coincidence, as I had just logged in this morning......lol

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,963
    I'll try an post a photo but the markings are very hard to see/read. They are on the side of the tube toward the base.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • heiney9
    Identification code for a Philips E88CC (top line) is 7L* 7L is the code that identified this as an E88CC, the code is unique. The asterisk being the (production) change code, 2,3,5,7, etc. The larger the number the later the tube and each subsequent number means something was changed vs. the previous production tube. (ie; using steel grid posts vs. copper or a getter change, etc, etc)

Second line of code identifies where it was produced and a date code.

15 is not a production factory identifier for Philips tubes. Most common is B for Blackburn England; D for Hamburg Germany; = with a slash through is Munich Germany; Delta triangle is Heerlen Holland.

It is possible the markings are incomplete and partially rubbed off.

There is a rare Heelen made tube with a double stage getter with the production code of 7LD or 7LG or 7LH, but the 2nd line of code starts with a Delta triangle.

H9

• heiney9
    edited August 2019
    E88CC is the Euro equivalent to the 6922 (6DJ8). A true E88CC can only come from a European plant. Telefunken, Philips, Siemens and Mullard. Most if not all have gold pins.

All others are not TRUE E88CC's and most likely are 6922's with the wrong/fake label.

All that said, I have never collected or used 6922/6DJ8 tubes so I don't have the deep knowledge of these tubes and the construction difference's etc. Like ECC81/82/83.

H9
  • muncybob
    Here are shot shots of the tube. There is no way I can capture the codes.pp4w50ky1g7v.jpg
    a8j2nrsn6s0j.jpg
    xyw3dzhg4otx.jpg
  • heiney9
    Thanks, let me do a little research and I'll post back. I'm betting the codes are smudged anyway and incomplete.

H9
  • heiney9
    Is the getter as disc getter with dimples? Hard to tell, but in the 3rd photo it looks to be a solid disc with dimples which was common for later Holland made tubes
  • muncybob
    They look smooth to me.
  • heiney9
    Not an expert with 6922/6DJ8 types since I've never owned any gear that uses them. The gold pins, construction and the fact that smudged codes could in fact be correct, this is most likely a Holland made tube, probably mid to late 60's.

Also if it sounds great like you say, then it's probably the real deal. Nice tubes

Enjoy

H9
  • muncybob
    Thanks for your help. I think they will be keepers :)
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Reach out to BRENT JESSEE and see if he can ID the tube
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • heiney9
    You're going to need better photo's. If you did have more detailed, clearer photo's I could tell you for sure.

H9
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • muncybob
    I'll try to get better photos. Having trouble with the camera. They look exactly like those ebay ones. Put on DSOTM(have not heard it in awhile) last night and how sweet it was.
  • muncybob
    Better?zo9ifowvtfgp.jpg
    u7e79mkqqrmc.jpg
    hl5ppigmtad6.jpg
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    I was researching something today and ran across this thread. I missed it somehow during the first go-'round. Anyhoo, here is a link to a thread I started on another forum that pretty much has links to almost everything you would ever want to know about tubes, codes and tube suppliers.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/tube-supplier-and-cross-reference-thread.5438/

Hope this helps if you never did find and answer to your query, Bob.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~