just picked up a mint pair of SDA2B's and I'd like to bring them up to date (rebuild the crossovers)

13»

Comments

• Nightfall wrote: »
    Is it possible the 194 that died was just faulty?

sure..I'm of the opinion that anything is possible....I'm not worried about it..they aren't terribly expensive. It's not like a JBL Cat Eye Tweeter which is both expensive as hell and hard to come by, but they rarely go bad anyways...
    F1nut wrote: »
    Ok, found the power specs for your amp. Stereo: 270W+270W (1ohm, 2ohm, 4ohm, 8ohm), which should be plenty of juice and you're not cranking the bass control, so I'd have to say something else is going on.

yeah, and I literally just had that amp fully recapped/restored by a certified McIntosh repair center a week ago so that thing should be good to go for many many years. It didn't happen with my 1's, so perhaps the polyswitch is a bit wonky in the 2's....i'll be getting rid of them anyways so no worries. I just wanted to ask if ya'll thought that might have been the culprit. I never heard how they functioned before. It's kind of brilliant, actually.
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 449
    edited August 2019
    The MC7270 power guard circuitry should prevent any clipping - and it is common ground out of the autoformers - did it sound distorted before the tweeter blew?

Is the wiring inside the speaker all OK with no shorts or anything?

Bummed to hear that a 194 went especially with that amp, especially after you got it serviced.

I suppose if the replacement in the same position also blows, you'll have another clue as to what's going on.
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • lawdogg wrote: »
    The MC7270 power guard circuitry should prevent any clipping - and it is common ground out of the autoformers - did it sound distorted before the tweeter blew?

Is the wiring inside the speaker all OK with no shorts or anything?

Bummed to hear that a 194 went especially with that amp, especially after you got it serviced.

I suppose if the replacement in the same position also blows, you'll have another clue as to what's going on.

nah..I was listening to music when I noticed the Piano in the song sounded distorted in the right channel and I narrowed it down to the tweeter. I swapped it out with another one and everything has been fine since.

Between new tweeters, new boards, new caps, new resistors and ditching those switches, I should be good to go. I'm just saving up the money at the moment.