What’s the longest road trip you have taken to acquire audio gear?

I just did a 7 hour road trip to buy some speakers. It wore me out. I’m sure that’s nothing compared to what some members have done.

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Dallas and back...10hrs
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited August 2019
    I did about 28-30 hours non stop for the SDA 2B's @stainless0steel2 now has. (I think he still has them anyway.) Maybe I stopped and slept in my car for a couple hours and it was closer to two full days. I can't remember. Evergreen, CO to around the Phoenix, AZ area.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Looks like I'm in the minor leagues when it comes to road trips.
  • Nightfall wrote: »
    I did about 28-30 hours non stop for the SDA 2B's @stainless0steel2 now has. (I think he still has them anyway.) Maybe I stopped and slept in my car for a couple hours and it was closer to two full days. I can't remember. Evergreen, CO to around the Phoenix, AZ area.

Oh yea, I still have them. Utlize them almost every day.
    The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    8 hours in some of the worst weather the Midwest can throw at you. Cold miserable freezing rain....
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    19 hours round trip (Missoula, MT to Bend, OR) for Infinity Kappa 9 pair.
    16 hours round trip (Salt Lake to Denver) for Josh’s SDA 1.2 pair.

Still have both sets, and won’t part with either...
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    About 15 minutes.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Thanks to Noyzee Steve and his terrific shipping assistance, I was saved a road trip to Denver from Mpls to pick up my sweet SDA-1Cs from Larry.

Thanks again, to both of them! B)
  • teekay0007
    Otherwise, 90 minutes each way for a couple of amps.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    verb wrote: »
    3 hours round trip with the Mrs to snag a smoking deal on some minty SRS’s! Surprised that she wanted to go, we made a nice road trip out of it and stopped along the way for a nice lunch. And then she helped me unload those monsters from the truck and bring em down to the basement!

Gosh I love that woman! She’s a keeper! :smile:

This post is just BEGGING for a Viking-style edit. :o:p
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    14 hours round trip to way upstate NY to get a set of Carver Amazings from Bob McG. Bob McG was the best part of the trip!

A close second was a 12 hour round trip to Norfolk area of Virginia to get a cherry set of SDA 2Bs from another member.

3rd place was 7 hours round trip to Damascus, MD to get Totem Rainmakers and KEF iQ9's from doro.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I did Central NJ to NE VA about 3.5 hours each way.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    Dec. 26th 2011 I did a 12 hour round trip for hearingimpaired's modded pair of 1.2tls (Ct. to De). That included a well needed rest stop on the return trip in Jersey at another Polk Club member's (lazarus's) home. At his home I was treated to the best cup of coffee ever along with some great thin crust pizza and an excellent audition to his properly set up 1.2tl's.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Roughly 7.5 hrs each way for the 2.3 TL's. My son is asking when we can go on another road trip.
  • motorstereo
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Dec. 26th 2011 I did a 12 hour round trip for hearingimpaired's modded pair of 1.2tls (Ct. to De). That included a well needed rest stop on the return trip in Jersey at another Polk Club member's (lazarus's) home. At his home I was treated to the best cup of coffee ever along with some great thin crust pizza and an excellent audition to his properly set up 1.2tl's.

Those are 2 blasts from the past. Seems like there used to be more characters around back then.

Agreed; sadly hearimpaired has passed away and Laz seems to be marching to a different drumbeat now. I'm glad I got meet and briefly hang out with both of them
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited August 2019
    You guys are fricking nuts! People think I'm nuts for going 2-6 hour drives for stuff. The Mrs. says the craziest was early when we first moved into our current house. I drove 2.5 Hrs to Wisconsin to buy a 70" TV. Mind you the TV had an issue, I was driving Her old Ford Focus that I 'think' was large enough to fit the TV with the seats down, but the TV was a deal at$300 and i was the first to call on it so I had to act fast and left right after work around 7 o'clock! The TV actually just barely fit....we actually had the bend some of the sheet metal with a hammer to shoehorn it in. Once, I got it home, it filled my whole dinning room table. The back cover and LED panel lenses took up one side of the dinning room floor. It just had bad LED's that I fixed like much of the electronics in my house.

Anyway, right now there are speakers 14 Hrs away in Amherst, MA that I would like to get. I've yet to see these in this finish and in such great condition anywhere else in years.

Also, there are speakers in the Minneapolis area, 7-8 hrs away that I would like to purchase as well. These are new in box models that are no longer offered and they don't show up often.

If I can get my money to together and work out the time, I'll be a part of the super crazy "If You Have Speakers For Sale, Will Travel Far To Get Them Club" that you guys have going on here.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    edited August 2019
    Well technically I flew from Ottawa to Orlando to visit my parents in New Smyrna Beach but also made arrangements to meet DJ7 to pick up a csi5. Otherwise I drove from Ottawa to Kingston about 2 hrs each way to pick up my B&Ws
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Did 3.5 hours each way to get my LS90's. Got a serious eye roll from the wife 😂
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    27 hours one way from central Indiana to Boise, ID. I altered summer vacation plans so I could pick up some AR9LSI's. I am so fortunate to have a wife who supports my hobby. So now everytime we are planning a vacation she asks what audio equipment I am looking to buy.
  • motorstereo
    WLDock wrote: »
    You guys are fricking nuts! People think I'm nuts for going 2-6 hour drives for stuff.

Heck I've done several 2-6 hour trips with a good friend to help him with large speakers that just seem to gravitate to him (khorns, concert grands, ADS m30's, big Altecs, Wharfdale W90's etc.). I think it's a great way to spend a day off plus the trip involves good food, a microbrewery and parts of the planet that I'd never seen before and probably won't see again.

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited August 2019
    for me, three hours one way to Merritt Island. I do often look in big cities along travel routes. I even looked while we were in Norway, which was a mistake because I saw a pair of AudioPro tower speakers which I had heard only a few days prior and loved every bit of. (AudioPro is a Scandinavian company that is only available in Norway, Sweden, and maybe Finland.)

I'm certain there will be longer trips once I have my drivers' license. :)
  • teekay0007
    Hay! I’m waiting to find out how far the drive is from the Hardy household to the local landfill! :)
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,163
    edited August 2019
    6 hours r/t from Albany, NY to Jessup, PA in January 2013 to buy a pair of Polk SDA 2B TL speakers from a fellow Polk forum member.

I had never previously heard the SDAs in person but had joined the forum a few months prior and decided to go on a road trip to PA solely based on the recommendations of PF members. And, I was not disappointed...I still have those amazing speakers in my main system. Thanks to Club Polk and the great members of this forum!

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    Anyone else start checking Craigslist in cities you’ll be traveling through, 3-4 days before your trip? :wink:
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    WLDock wrote: »
    You guys are fricking nuts! People think I'm nuts for going 2-6 hour drives for stuff. The Mrs. says the craziest was early when we first moved into our current house. I drove 2.5 Hrs to Wisconsin to buy a 70" TV. Mind you the TV had an issue, I was driving Her old Ford Focus that I 'think' was large enough to fit the TV with the seats down, but the TV was a deal at$300 and i was the first to call on it so I had to act fast and left right after work around 7 o'clock! The TV actually just barely fit....we actually had the bend some of the sheet metal with a hammer to shoehorn it in. Once, I got it home, it filled my whole dinning room table. The back cover and LED panel lenses took up one side of the dinning room floor. It just had bad LED's that I fixed like much of the electronics in my house.

Anyway, right now there are speakers 14 Hrs away in Amherst, MA that I would like to get. I've yet to see these in this finish and in such great condition anywhere else in years.

Also, there are speakers in the Minneapolis area, 7-8 hrs away that I would like to purchase as well. These are new in box models that are no longer offered and they don't show up often.

If I can get my money to together and work out the time, I'll be a part of the super crazy "If You Have Speakers For Sale, Will Travel Far To Get Them Club" that you guys have going on here.

Ouch! Bending sheet metal! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    29 hours round trip (back was extended 3 hrs for weather) for some Audioquest cables for cryin out loud!
    There was an audio show, Axpona or something, in the middle of it.