2»

Comments

• OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,104
    Options
    shawn474 wrote: »
    Tony M wrote: »
    Cortisone is a great solution when used properly.....it should never be prescribed without therapy to follow. Sometimes it is necessary to get to the point where people can actually perform therapy. As I said, I am happy to help and give whatever advice I can (may even know some really good orthopedic practices in your area to refer you to). But, one thing - each case is different. It is very unlikely to be adhesive capsulitis (“frozen shoulder”) at this point, but could progress to that very quickly if you don’t get the proper treatment. Typically frozen shoulder occurs after an acute injury where the patient ceases use of their shoulder due to pain. The structures scar down and freeze the shoulder in place causing extreme dysfunction and pain.

While everyone has the best of intentions and is giving good input and advice, being seen by a competent professional and establishing a good long term plan is key to recovery. Otherwise it’s just temporary.

I had no acute injuries before either of my 1 1/2 year long events. And I'm not an elderly lady either. I didn't fit the common reasons for this BS. I sought help from my family Doctor of 7 years on my first event, and he walked out of the exam room without saying goodbye or THAT HE WAS LEAVING THE BUILDING to go home for the day. He just left me in there! AH!

I found another Doc. that turned out to be an AH also after 7 years of seeing him.

I now have NO Doctor. Only a PA. And I feel that's against the law for a facility to just have a PA exam me for years. Oh well. :/

Not sure what you’re referring to as BS but exactly the reason why i said “typically” and stated that each case is different. Not trying to discount your injuries or advice you’re giving at all - just offering my insight as a professional in sports medicine for 25 years. Doesn’t mean I am any smarter than anyone else if that’s how you felt.....

Like @Tony M about 20 years ago I had two frozen shoulders, one after the other, without any apparent underlying cause, as did my mother when I was a teenager. Like Tony, both my mother and I had/have diabetes, although Type 1 in this case. Whether true or not, I was told by the guy who treated me that the incidence of frozen shoulders was far higher in diabetics for some reason.

Also, the symptoms described by the OP sound very dissimilar to mine - they materialized very suddenly and violently.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    Options
    Diabetics have increased incidence of these types of issues because of the increased glucose levels. The glucose levels damages the cells and connective tissue in ways that cause dysfunction and malfunction of the shoulder joint especially.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Thanks Tony. I blew my wrist out this year when I switched out my Sunfire gear to the Classe amp & Marantz Prepro. This will be my last set of separates, when they die, I'll get a soundbar.

My Sunfire gear is still sitting on the table where I put them. It will stay there because I won't risk lifting them again to take my hands/wrists/elbows/shoulders out of commission again.

Sounds like time to start going to the gym. I will be 70 in September, and still go.

I was using the gym when I got the tendonitis in my elbow. After I got through with PT, I went back to the gym, I knew after 5 minutes of using 3lb hand weights and feeling the elbow start to feel strain, I knew my weight lifting days were over. All I can do at the gym now is the treadmill & bike. I won't risk lifting anymore it simply isn't worth it. I just had to accept that age and wear and tear takes its toll after a while.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,104
    Options
    Diabetics have increased incidence of these types of issues because of the increased glucose levels. The glucose levels damages the cells and connective tissue in ways that cause dysfunction and malfunction of the shoulder joint especially.

Interesting. At the time the only tentative explanation the doc could offer was that there was maybe an autoimmune element to frozen shoulders and as people with one autoimmune disease were more likely to get another, that was the link to Type 1 diabetes. Maybe medical understanding has progressed since then.