Which streaming devices support Pandora (remember them?), Spotify, and Tidal?

jdjohn
jdjohn Posts: 2,987
Available streaming services vary between manufacturers of network streamers. It is almost to the point where Tidal is the only option, but some makers do still offer Spotify suport. Pandora seems to have fallen off most radars.

Is there a streaming device that still supports all three platforms? I still have a few networked Logitech SBTs that can do this, but technology has changed...
"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
"Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    Yamaha wxc50
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Sonos
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • The BlueSound Node and Cambridge streamers will streaming from your phone to the player.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Yeah. The CA will natively support tidal and Spotify, but you have to cast Pandora from your phone.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I feel like the only person that still uses Pandora. I use it in my car along side Google Maps while delivering 40 hours a week because it's the only streaming app that isn't constantly closing down in the background while Google Maps is up. Spotify has to reload the entire app every time I put my phone to sleep and come back out to the car and unlock it, Pandora stays exactly where I paused the song. Plus it's nice to be able to just pick a band and hear music that's in the same genre all day without having to mess with it. Spotify seems to eventually stray too far.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Cocktail Audio will do Tidal and Spotify but you will have to bluetooth the Pandora.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • joecoulson
    Nightfall, it’s You and @jdjohn. The last two subscribers 😝
  • jdjohn
    My wife pays for it :p

My only gripe with Pandora is that you inevitably hear the same songs every time on a station...like they never add anything different. And after a really long play period, it seems to run out of songs related to a station's identity, and then picks other songs that don't quite fit the genre.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Nightfall, it’s You and @jdjohn. The last two subscribers 😝

I was 3rd from the last, although it was the free version. :smile: Since I have Tidal now, never even look at Pandora anymore.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • jdjohn
    Ok, the Nativ Vita actually does all three...plus a whole lot more.
  • joecoulson
    Lol! “I’ve found one!” ;)
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    edited August 2019
    Apple TV will natively stream Pandora & Tidal. However, for Spotify it will require a third party App called Player for Spotify ($9.99 and it doesn’t have good reviews).

Otherwise, you can also use any connected audio output and play Spotify from the app using an iPhone, iPad, iPod or even a Mac/MacBook on the same WiFi network. That would include any AppleTV’s connected to your preferred home audio system(s).

Audio output options are shown in the Control Center as shown below (Swipe down from the top of the screen on iPhones or iPads with FaceID, or swipe up from the bottom of the screen on iPhones with TouchID or older). Any number of audio outputs can be selected (multi-room) simultaneously over WiFi. Bluetooth is not required so the distance limits of Bluetooth do not apply.

ddzlrfsmde74.jpeg
    Post edited by Kex on
    Alea jacta est!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Bluesound has NOT struck a deal with Pandora yet.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • jdjohn
    I ended up acquiring a Nativ Vita from our fellow forum member @ZLTFUL It does not have a DAC incorporated, so I run mine out via USB into a PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC/pre. It supports Spotify, Tidal, Pandora, and lots of other music services including Amazon. So far, I have only used Spotify and Pandora in that regard. The unit I got also has 1TB of internal SSD storage, which can be expanded up to 10TB. Of course it also handles NAS. The Vita supports up to DSD256 and up to 32bit/384kHz. [FWIW: I had to use USB into the PSA in order to get DSD playback. Coax on the PSA DAC doesn't support DSD.]

The Nativ Vita is a beautiful piece of kit, and sounds wonderful to my ears in my setup. I'll be honest and say it is a bit overwhelming with all the options available, and sometimes hard to decide what to play! I also have to say that although the 11.6" touchscreen is beautiful and hi-res, this means that the icons and touchpoints are a bit small and sometimes difficult to hit just right with some parts of the interface, but it does have a remote. Their smartphone app needs some work, but using Spotify on a phone or tablet, you can select the Vita as the playback device, and control as normal.

This is like a Logitech SqueezeBox Touch that is all grown-up (sans internal DAC). I'd like to a do a real A/B comparison between the Vita and the SBT, but getting a true comparison (with same cables/inputs/outputs) would be prohibitively difficult, mainly due to access on the bottom of the Vita.