Parasound 2250 with Polk RTI A9's

Options
I have a pair of Polk RTI A9 towers for my front speakers in my 7.1 setup, i am currently running a crown xls 2002 off of my Onkyo receiver. My main use is for home theater, movies, video games. I was thinking of upgrading to a parasound 2250, but i was wondering if it would be noticeable difference for my use of the speakers. Thanks

Comments

• TomB19
    TomB19 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm willing to bet you will get far better gains by working on your room than upgrading your electronics. If the bass is heavy in the corners and thin at your listening chair, you have standing nodes.

- keep the speakers away from the corners of the room
    - keep the speakers away from the back wall a foot, or so if your partner will allow it
    - try putting some heavy cushions, like from a couch, in the corners. They need to be stacked high. I use body pillows I picked up cheap from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. They were a night and day difference. Hello, solid bass.
    - Area rugs on the floor are always an improvement
    - if you have a big, leather, couch, try removing it from the room
    - cloth furniture is better than leather for sound quality
    - keep the speakers reasonably close together (I keep mine 8 feet apart) for improved bass

It can be difficult to believe room setup can make that big of a difference but it really can. I run modest electronics and the sound is fantastic but when I first got the speakers the sound was terrible. It took some time to get the room sorted.

Smaller speakers don't have the same setup problems. They don't have the same bandwidth so they don't reveal as many issues.
  • sgtmick63
    sgtmick63 Posts: 166
    Options
    I used the 2250 to power my front 703's. It made them sing. I highly recommend it. Audio Advisor has it on sale.
  • cory30189
    cory30189 Posts: 3
    Options
    I actually just purchased one on Amazon, the had an open box for $675 and yes it is amazing. It has less power then the crown but they are still powered well and the sound quality is like night and day!
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    That's the difference between a high power amp and a high current amp.
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Options
    cory30189 wrote: »
    I actually just purchased one on Amazon, the had an open box for $675 and yes it is amazing. It has less power then the crown but they are still powered well and the sound quality is like night and day!

Welcome to the forum and the rabbit hole. The 2250 is a big step up, and a really nice amp. I'd recommend keeping an eye out for a Parasound P5 preamp. It will be another step up. Probably not as dramatic, but still noticeable. Used they can be found for ~$500-600. The 2100 preamp is also good, although it does not have digital inputs. Both have HT bypass so you can easily integrate it with your HT.