Illinois, who's leaving?

Options

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    edited July 2019
    Options
    They keep jacking up gas taxes and other infrastructure taxes and it never gets better because all that money goes into the "general operating" fund and GENERALLY disappears....
    In my city alone they have jacked up the gas tax to fix the roads 3X in 12 yrs. and the roads are a frickin moonscape. Right before the state did it this year our city doubled it again. Yet less than a month later what the heck are they going to do ? Put in bike lanes on the streets. On the streets they have already done this it removes on street parking for lots of folks who need it and basically takes out a lane on our 4 lane high traffic streets and has just fouled of the movement of traffic.... I've seen maybe 3 cyclist using these lanes in the last year. They have also just replaced many of the sidewalks with wheelchair ramps and most cyclist use those as they are safer.

http://www.videtteonline.com/news/bloomington-doubles-motor-fuel-tax/article_15e7bd12-50cf-11e9-bec9-afaecf0c890c.html
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Options
    Illinois is a Banana Republic plain and simple!!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,092
    Options
    The bike paths will come in handy when the Chinese take over...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    edited July 2019
    Options

The bike lanes are forced upon us because one of the twin cities mayors has owned a bike shop for 45+ yrs. I get it problem is 20 yrs ago they took out all dedicated bike lanes in both cities that was beside most sidewalks for more "green space". Those never interfered with traffic at all. They didn't want to replace them when they were crumbling because of cost to do so. Hey if they want them fine license the bikes and have them insured just like vehicles. They even want them on a state highway called route 9 ..... It just out if hand.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Put in bike lanes on the streets . . and has just fouled of the movement of traffic.... I've seen maybe 3 cyclist using these lanes in the last year.

I live close by, and often drive through, my hometown just a few short miles from Detroit proper. This “progressive” town is spilling over with municipal and private construction, road reconstruction/allocation and spiking costs including property values.
    Decision makers here too, as @pitdogg states, have hit many foul balls ... like converting 4 lanes of traffic in and out of the city from two lanes in each direction@35 miles per hour to One lane in each direction with a turn lane in the middle and a bike lane in each direction (curbside). Speed limits been changed from 35 to 25 mph. ONCE in two years have I seen anybody riding in this bike lane!. This is Michigan we’re bike riding season might last 4 to 5 months.

Huge nightlife in this town. I think it was done with intent of generating revenue by ticketing the northern suburbanites, after leaving the bars in other venues ...
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • nooshinjohn
    Options

The bike lanes are forced upon us because one of the twin cities mayors has owned a bike shop for 45+ yrs. I get it problem is 20 yrs ago they took out all dedicated bike lanes in both cities that was beside most sidewalks for more "green space". Those never interfered with traffic at all. They didn't want to replace them when they were crumbling because of cost to do so. Hey if they want them fine license the bikes and have them insured just like vehicles. They even want them on a state highway called route 9 ..... It just out if hand.

Bike lanes are funded and encouraged by the Fed these days...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Options
    I'm out in 5 yrs. when i retire. Taxes are only a small part of the problem.

Where do ya think you'll go to?
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    charley95 wrote: »

Tennessee, N/S Carolina maybe Texas or girlfriend wants to move to Louisiana. Has not been decided but it has to be super retirement friendly.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options
    I'd suggest Delaware, but creepy Joe lives there.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Progressive ideas are becoming more common in Texas with all of the new people moving in. I hope it doesn't ruin our state like it has elsewhere.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    I pay $1,900/yr in conservative Arizona. Just sayin.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    edited July 2019
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I'd suggest Delaware, but creepy Joe lives there.

Delaware's tax structure is like NH (actually, probably more citizen-friendly? Dunno about real estate taxes) -- weird little state, though (Broadway Joe notwithstanding).

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/local/2014/01/16/dialogue-delaware-sorry-folks-delaware-is-closed/4523785/

I remember seeing this on Candid Camera way back when. :)
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    I pay $3,000 / year in FL where I used to pay $16K + 6.375% income tax. It's like giving yourself a big fat tax free raise.

Plus everything is more expensive in NJ too.

Tolls, registration fees, insurance. Very few toll roads and the roads are much nicer except if you go to around Orlando and Miami.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    I pay $3,000 / year in FL where I used to pay $16K + 6.375% income tax. It's like giving yourself a big fat tax free raise.

Plus everything is more expensive in NJ too.

Tolls, registration fees, insurance. Very few toll roads and the roads are much nicer except if you go to around Orlando and Miami.

If I may ask, what size home/property you have? IIRC you also have a IGP, that always raises our taxes and is silly considering we only get 3-4 months to use it.
    We have 8.625% sales tax here, really hits you when you go to buy a new car.
    The only tolls we pay are for bridges and/or tunnels to leave the Island! I think they want us to stay put...
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Mikey081057
    edited July 2019
    Options
    In NJ I had app 3/4 acre with a 2200 sq ft home. I was actually assessed for the cabana too and IGP.... $16K + State income tax + ridiculous fees for everything you needed to do you needed a permit...
    In FL I have app 1700 sq ft home IGP on a 100 x 115 ' lot ... a little less than ,$3K in property tax+ 0 State income tax.

Sales tax is about the same.... (6.5% Lee Cty FL) to 6.625% in NJ

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I pay $1,900/yr in conservative Arizona. Just sayin.
    You probably have John McCain to thank for that....
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    Options
    charley95 wrote: »

Tennessee, N/S Carolina maybe Texas or girlfriend wants to move to Louisiana. Has not been decided but it has to be super retirement friendly.
    Louisiana is most polluted state in the union...maybe something to consider. Living outside Atlanta has alot to offer.....great city. I know a bunch of people who have moved to Utah and love it.

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    What is IGP...

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I'm moving to Belize...

However, the crime there is off the hook

A rumour started to control overpopulation. Kinda like the one I started about Oregon being full of lepers. You and I both know there's always going to be crime where wealth and poverty intermix (downtown). Besides, the local police are perfectly fine with you shooting criminals. Less work for them.

PS: I LOVE snorkeling!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    What is IGP...

In Ground Pool

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,518
    Options
    Left Illinois 7y ago

Unless I became independently wealthy I would not move back
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Left Illinois 7y ago

Sell off some of that audio collection and you could have 1000 feet of lakefront on lake Michigan, and a palace to call home. ;):p

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Left Illinois 7y ago

Sell off some of that audio collection and you could have 1000 feet of lakefront on lake Michigan, and a palace to call home. ;):p

Oh....all his audio gear wouldn't even cover the down payment for a house on lake Michigan. Not in Chicago anyway.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Options
    I've been pretty happy with Tennesse so far. If I stay after retiring in a couple years
    I will move outside Shelby county. Taxes run about $2800 on a 1740 sq ft on a 1/4
    Acre. The city is de-annexing us and it will drop to $1500. Guys outside the
    County are paying about $900 for the same size house. The big thing is water
    Is cheap. Not like Dallas where it was $100 minimum. Here it's $10 a month.
    Memphis area crime can be an issue, but my area is just fine. And my house
    Backs up to the Wolf river green belt. Nothing but trees behind me.
    Bad? Depends how how you feel about critters wandering the back yard.
    It has ranged from turtles to bobcats.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I like the area around Millington...

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Options
    The area around the old naval air station has changed a lot.
    I was stationed up there in the mid 70's. The mrs wanted no part
    Of Millington. She wanted to be central to east Memphis, Germantown,
    And Collierville.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    The last time I left Illinois, I woke up the next day in Tahiti. :o
    With your passport???

Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,678
    Options
    warren wrote: »
    Viking64 wrote: »
    The last time I left Illinois, I woke up the next day in Tahiti. :o
    With your passport???

Yes! :p
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited July 2019
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    I'm moving to Belize...

However, the crime there is off the hook

A rumour started to control overpopulation. Kinda like the one I started about Oregon being full of lepers. You and I both know there's always going to be crime where wealth and poverty intermix (downtown). Besides, the local police are perfectly fine with you shooting criminals. Less work for them.

PS: I LOVE snorkeling!

Belize could be an interesting place to retire and can be affordable.
    https://cerrossands.com/cost-retire-belize/
    https://internationalliving.com/countries/belize/cost-of-living-in-belize/

I have family that lives there, and have been there once myself. No one can dispute the crime and gang violence in Belize City However, since we are talking Illinois and crime, some of the cities in IL are the most violent in this Country. Its not right to condemn the whole country of Belize or the whole state of Illinois as there are some great cities with low crime, great people, places, and things to do.

Be safe and enjoy life wherever you live or travel.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/

We had a great time in Belize back in '15. In this picture the Mrs and I are sitting outdoors at the bar watching the MSU Spartans play Duke in the Final Four. Drinking Belikin beer and eating ceviche! Even though my Spartan's lost what a great atmosphere!
    10985220_10206766533625231_212483341675764529_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_oc=AQlVER7Z-GSud8f3wY45bf5GXbOTpzYURe25c6ZRd1vRpLWoSzjXhesl91DLS2L8SgKmWwUuDAMz1K2tsxREG_At&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=dd7071f1f6cee8f3100c2ef8e74549c6&oe=5DA59845

Ramon's Village Resort – San Pedro, Belize
    11060891_10205431137630617_1170391937572262042_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_oc=AQlRGQ-NDLy5qbFugSSuAY-jVy5Fn8wgmlFM0T7wcZ6dGIokmafYRgkv3HjTBCKNukhjxx31KiNraMEOtIaUPmUM&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=c96786797b84df97b3b95e8f182350ec&oe=5DEB357B

Caye Caulker, Belize
    11108848_10205473261363684_2205571753802496230_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_oc=AQnOQU_LPu8YLZ57ZrIclCEwzSxmv7CQucKE3KuaJ1bEheSkM5h78gpdaIu2gyjVQ6a7nF1wYCTjjMyKOp8ifpED&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=30ff73fb3c2854516991c2b4b727be90&oe=5DDAF20A
    Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Just for the record, I wasn't attempting to paint the whole country as crime ridden. On the other hand, it's a small country, so do the math.

Just like Chicago is crime ridden, the state has some very nice areas to live in. I'm sure any other country is the same way. The one thing Belize has going for it, aside from the beauty and snorkeling, is it has one of the more stable governments in the area.

It's getting harder and harder to find affordable places to retire to....with year round good weather....state side anyway. I've had it up to my eyeballs with snow and cold already. Now Portugal looks appealing, but how many are gonna come visit ya in Portugal ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable