Receiver advice for 705s & 706 (7.1) with 5ch Marantz amp

2»

Comments

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    juice2544 wrote: »
    .... & my only question to those who are willing to take a closer look is what the minor differences in these are (apart from wattage, that would be worth the extra cost?):
    The audio/video writers get paid to put out product "first looks." The info is out there already.

https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/yamaha-rx-a80

https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/sr5012-and-sr6012

https://www.audioadvice.com/content/2019-marantz-home-theater-receiver-comparison/

https://www.zkelectronics.com/compare/marantz-sr5013/marantz-sr5012/

Go for the features that interest you!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • WLDock
    edited July 2019
    I'm considering the 5ch Marantz amp b/c it comes with a 3yr warranty (dont want used equip.)
    This amp is factory refurbished. Not a bad thing and a good way to save some cash. But there are other deals out there to be considered.

Here are some new and B-stock Outlaw Audio amps with a 5 year warranty. http://www.outlawaudio.com/
    The Outlaw Limited Warranty
    This warranty protects the owner of an Outlaw Product (the PRODUCT) for five (5) years for the Models 5000, 7000x,...

30-Day Satisfaction Policy from Outlaw Audio
    Second,once you buy from us you will have a thirty-day, money back guarantee (U.S. & Canada only). If for any reason you are not completely delighted with your purchase, you may return it for a full refund. You will be responsible only for the cost of the original freight
    https://www.outlawaudio.com/support/guarantee.html

Model 5000 120W x 5 - $649
    http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/5000.html
    Manual - http://pdf.outlawaudio.com/outlaw/docs/5000manual.pdf

Model 7000x 130W x 7 - $949
    http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7000x.html
    Manual - http://pdf.outlawaudio.com/outlaw/docs/7000xOM_19.pdf

Model 5000 B-Stock - $599
    Model 7000x B-Stock - $879

https://www.outlawaudio.com/mofcart/bstock.html
    B-Stock :Note that all "B Stock" units carry the same "30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee" and the same warranties as our new products. They may have minor appearance defects, but are fully checked for "like-new" electrical performance.

ALSO

Monolith by Monoprice 3 channel x 200 Watt , B-Stock, (5 Year warranty) - $879.92
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=30877
    This amp is 57lbs! The 5 Ch Marantz is 36lbs. The Outlaw 5000 is 50 lbs, the 7000 is 61 lbs! if this means anything to you.
    Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I will clarify that although I have the SR5013, it’s only duty for amplification is center and surrounds. I have the other two channels feeding zone 2 and the front main channels feed through the stellar HT bypass to the M700 monos.
    If I was going for an AVR to power all, then I would have gotten the Marantz 7 series or above.
    The Outlaws are also very powerful
    But always, separate the mains from the AVR if possible. Much better power handling.
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited July 2019
    +1 on the Outlaw 5000 120wpc with all 5 driven and 170 with two channels driven. Sounds wonderful too. :) Add their 975 or 976 pre/pro and you’re all set.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • juice2544
    juice2544 Posts: 22
    edited July 2019
    joecoulson wrote: »
    I will clarify that although I have the SR5013, it’s only duty for amplification is center and surrounds. I have the other two channels feeding zone 2 and the front main channels feed through the stellar HT bypass to the M700 monos. If I was going for an AVR to power all, then I would have gotten the Marantz 7 series or above.
    The SR7013 only has 125w/2ch, but then again it has to be overpriced for a reason, what am I missing?
    WLDock wrote: »
    Model 7000x 130W x 7 - $949
    http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7000x.html
    Model 7000x B-Stock - $879[/b]
    This might be a better option given how large the center is, I wonder if 140w would be enough from a Marantz 7055
    yal410ubfmbh.bmp

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    The SR7013 only has 125w/2ch, but then again it has to be overpriced for a reason, what am I missing?

More channels for starters plus the 7013 weighs 31lbs. while the 5013 weighs 22lbs. There's a good reason for that and it costs money.

Bottom line, there are very few AVR's that are able to supply their rated power to more than 2 channels. You cannot rob Peter to pay Paul.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• juice2544
    edited July 2019
    F1nut wrote: »
    You cannot rob Peter to pay Paul.
    Well, at this point I'm not concerned about the receiver's power but how much wattage the center will need from an amp
  • F1nut
    Not sure what you find funny with my post. Good luck, you'll need it.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    F1nut wrote: »
    You cannot rob Peter to pay Paul.
    Well, at this point I'm not concerned about the receiver's power but how much wattage the center will need from an amp

The center needs the least power since it primarily is for dialogue. The left/right speakers need the most since they also are used for music.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • juice2544
    edited July 2019
    BlueFox wrote: »
    The center needs the least power since it primarily is for dialogue. The left/right speakers need the most since they also are used for music.
    What kind of wattage though, thing is massive! 140w+?
    Post edited by juice2544 on
  • WLDock
    edited July 2019
    Model 7000x B-Stock - $879 This might be a better option given how large the center is, I wonder if 140w would be enough from a Marantz 7055
    120-200 watts from a good high current amp will be more than fine for the 706C. A good amp has more current on demand capability than an AVR driving all 5-7 channels. Even going with a 2 or 3 channel amp and letting the AVR drive the surround channels will work wonders for clarity, dynamics, less distortion, etc.

Not all amps are created equal.

The Marantz is probably fine and a little better than the amps in the AVR but bested by Outlaw and Monolith.

Marantz 7055 - 36lbs. - 2 channels driven rating
    max_marantz_av7055_08.jpg

Outlaw 5000 - 50 lbs - All channels driven rating
    Model5000inside.JPG

Monolith 3x200 - 57lbs - All channels driven rating
    155945.jpg

Outlaw 7000 - 61 lbs - All channels driven rating
    7000xtopfrontsm.jpg
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    I'd get the Emotiva, Monoprice or Outlaw any day over the Marantz amp. Granted the Marantz amp is good jut those are better.

When I got my amp it was a coin toss between the Monolith 3 and XPA3. the Marantz was off the table due to 140w @ 2ch driven.

if you look at the Outlaw 7700 and the Monolith 7 they are darn close both are 93lb monsters. Be hard for someone to rip off.

Guy at work is looking to add an amp after hearing my home system. He to is on the fence between Monolith and Emotiva.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    The Marantz is a fine amp. It may not have the brute force of the others, but I'd actually be inclined to choose it, unless the room is huge and the speaker load dictated something more.
  • mrloren
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    The Marantz is a fine amp. It may not have the brute force of the others, but I'd actually be inclined to choose it, unless the room is huge and the speaker load dictated something more.

I agree the Marantz amp is a good one but for price and performance I'd go for the others. An outlaw 5000 is $650 @ 120W all 5 channels driven. Perfect for a small room. https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/5000.html Every review I've read on that amp says the 120W is a gross understatement.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • juice2544
    edited July 2019
    Interesting, I appreciate all the input/insight, leaning more towards Outlaw now but someone mentioned the b stocks were having more issues & don't want to have to pay for return shipping https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/899590-outlaw-amps-owners-thread-24.html Although the 7000x would be best I'm thinking while considering cost reduction. Should I make that my final decision or will the 5ch be more than enough for a smaller sized room? Just don't want to underpower that center. Also, how would this 3x200 Monolith compare to the 7000x? https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=30877 Is 200w enough for the 705s?
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Yes, I typically recommend getting an amp starting at 200wpc, this is usually where newbies can hear a clear and distinct improvement in sound over a receiver alone.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • juice2544
    edited July 2019
    cfrizz wrote: »
    200wpc, this is usually where noobs can hear a clear and distinct improvement in sound over a receiver alone.
    thank you!
    WLDock wrote: »
    Post edited by juice2544 on
  • F1nut
    Ah ok, thank you

She thinks the answer is always 200wpc. Nothing could be further from the truth. Current (amperes) is what matters. A high current 100wpc amp will outperform a lower current amp rated at 200wpc.

President of Club Polk

• mrloren
    I started with an Emotiva BasX-A300 @150X2, nice little amp. Really opened up my system. Music was cleaner more dynamic and with the pull from the fronts L/R off the AVR it made the HT much nicer. Now I am powering the front 3 with an amp which again is nice. Center channel is in the sweet spot.

Here is another way to look at it. An average AVR weighs about 25lb more or less. That has to provide more power to ALL systems inside. An amp only has one function, Provide power to speakers. So you get 40lb to just power speakers.

In a small room the Outlaw 5000 should be more than enough. The Monolith amps are a good choice too. Maybe look at Emotiva also.

Speaker wires and interconnects (HDMI & RCA) play a big part in a system too. When I first got my XPA3 I used these old monster junk cable things... yuck! I then got some SVS soundpath RCA cables yeah better. I then took the big leap with Audioquest Red River,,, sweet spot found.

Doug's 12awg Furez cable is a great entry level cable https://douglasconnection.com/product/furez-12-awg-2-conductor-speaker-cable-raw/ Doug is a forum member and give discounts to fellow members.
  • F1nut
    Food for thought.
    With 2 channels driven into 8 ohms, the MM7055 delivered 130.7W with 0.1% THD+N, while the Monolith 7 delivered 215.9. That's a difference of 2.2dB. With 2 channels driven into 4 ohms, the MM7055 delivered 215.8W with 0.1% THD+N, while the Monolith 7 delivered 345.6W. That's a difference of 2.0dB. With 5 channels driven into 8 ohms, the MM7055 delivered 107.8W with 0.1% THD+N, while the Monolith delivered 185.8W. That's a difference of 2.4dB. Not exactly a lot to write home about here in real terms.

President of Club Polk

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    I have a the LSIM 704 705s and 702s powered by an Outlaw 5000 in a dedicated 18x20 HT room. It’s awesome, never feels close to underpowered. I had Emotiva XPA1 gen. 2 monoblocks on the mains prior. They were 600wpc they were great but having all 5 on the same amp is better, as the surround sound stage is completely seamless. It sounds cleaner than the Emotivas also.

You won’t regret it.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • WLDock
    Is 200w enough for the 705s?
    200 watts from a high current on demand amp is enough to drive about 99% of the conventional speakers with decent efficiency in a normal sized rooms in a home. Only super inefficient speakers, planar, electrostatic, etc. in large rooms or those that like extra power on demand need more power. The LSiM have decent 88 dB efficiency, nominal 8 Ohm and Polk recommends 20 watts → 250 watts.

However, if for example one has a 500 watt a channel class D amp then they would have enough power reserve to drive just about any speaker out there. Only uber high end bi-amped full range 3, 4-way towers might require more to reach full potential in large rooms.