SL 2000 Tweeters

smglbrth
smglbrth Posts: 1,458
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
I recently replaced the SL 2000 tweeters in my RTA-8t's and was wondering if anyone knew of a design change since the originals. The originals, of course, had the clear tweeters and the new ones which they sent me are jet black and almost look like a 5000 wrapped in a 2000 casing.
The sound difference in pretty noticeable as well. While the new ones are warm sounding they are almost too warm compared to the older ones. I have to turn to treble up about two notches to equal the dynamics of the older tweeters. I usually don't mess with bass or treble controls but to actually hear close to the same sound that's what I had to do.
I replaced the old ones since one had been pushed in (don't ask). I got most of it popped out but some of it was still deformed and I just couldn't seem to get the little rinkles out of it. After that it never sounded the same as compared to it's brother. I kept the old 2000's.
If anyone has concrete knowledge of this I'd really appreciate it. I sure hope Polk didn't send me the wrong tweeters since the boxes, nor the tweeters, had any markings as to what model they were.

Thanks!
Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
Post edited by smglbrth on

Comments

• rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited April 2002
    You got the right tweeters.
    Personally, I think they sound better than old silver coil 2000's.
    Polk outsourced the replacement tweeter.
    Its a really good tweet though, the replacement.
    They sound "sweeter" than the SL2000 - warmer too.
    This is a good thing. I think they look better too.
    Those old clear ones looked silly.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited April 2002
    Polk outsourced the replacement tweeter

I think they outsource all there tweeters? I am guessing you got the SL2500's?
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    edited April 2002
    I've emailed Polk and asked them exactly what I have.
    It's kind of hard to get used to a different sound when, for years, you've heard one sound in the same speaker, then it's gone and it's seems to be totally different!
    Oh well, life, and music, goes on I suppose.
    Anyway, thanks for the insight!;)
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • rskarvan
    edited April 2002
    SL2500 has a black plastic-looking dome.
    I have these in my Monitor 10 series 2's.

The SL2000 Replacement is black also.
    Except, its more of a black-fabric looking dome.
    There is no doubt that the SL2000 Replacement
    is a superior tweeter to the SL2500. Much more refined
    upper end.
  • caseymou
    caseymou Posts: 327
    edited April 2002
    If anyone out there is looking to get rid of 1 SL2500 I have been all over looking for one used and can't seem to find any. I know they can be bought for $48 from polk. I need one to complete a set of M4.6's I have. They were given to me with a blown tweet and driver, mabye even a bad xover. I don't know how to check that out. Just looking to save a buck, since I don't have use for these speaks right now. I also considered replacing both 2500's with SL2000's since there are so many on ebay. I don't know if the xovers will match though. Anyone have any suggestions? How do they determine model #'s for tweets? Which are the best? SL1000, SL2000, SL3000, etc...
  • rskarvan
    edited April 2002
    Tweets are matched to the speaker model.
    Goto service and parts and look it up under your model number.
    Most would agree that the SL3000 is the best tweet.
    The silver-coil SL2000 is a favorite as well.
    I don't think the SL2500 is especially impressive.
    Its not bad... its just not in the same league as the SL2000 or SL3000.
  • caseymou
    caseymou Posts: 327
    edited April 2002
    Does anyone know if a crossover can be checked for correct operation using a multimeter?
  • rskarvan
    edited April 2002
    I don't think so.
    I think you'd need a frequency generator and an oscilliscope to do it properly. These can be found in any college or electronic technicians lab. Pretty simple to check out really. With the right equipment, you could easily measure the dropoff at the x-over frequencies too.

I've always wanted an oscilliscope of my own.
    Very useful tools. A test cd could be used to replicate a
    frequency generator (if one readily wasn't available). There is no substitute for a good o-scope though.