In case you want to add harmonics (i.e., distortion) to your (tube) hifi, here's just the thing

Options
mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
edited July 2019 in 2 Channel Audio
https://highend-electronics.com/products/shun-mook-signal-tube-resonators

qe69wylpr7oi.png

* Reduces total harmonic distortion
* Damping of tube glass resonance and ringing
* Filters electromechanically vibrations
* Adds rich musical harmonics to its output signal

B)

so... does it add or reduce harmonics?

Comments

• Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 904
    Options
    Psychoacoustics: if you think it's real, it is. Perception is reality.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Heavy thoughts, Luther.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    Options
    Even order harmonics tend to be more soothing than odd order harmonics. So?

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options
    Not that African Mpingo wood again. So how does this reduce harmonic distortion but add harmonics at the same time?

One company sells little hockey pucks of it for about $50-100 each that you are supposed to put on special holders all around your room (the more you buy the better). This wood soaks up all of the bad sounds and makes your system sound better. Who knew this wood is so good it can soak up the bad electrical signals too.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    A semi-conductor works best to eliminate tube harmonics.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    Options
    THD - total harmonic distortion

TIM - Transient intermodulation distortion

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Osarion
    Osarion Posts: 180
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    THD - total harmonic distortion

TIM - Transient intermodulation distortion

A few more they can add to the marketing:

LOL!!

WTF??

B.S.!!!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Total harmonic distortion (THD) is a measurement that tells you how much of the distortion of a voltage or current is due to harmonics in the signal. THD is an important aspect in audio, communications, and power systems.

Transient intermodulation distortion, or TIM, occurs in amplifiers that employ negative feedback when signal delays make the amplifier incapable of correcting distortion when exposed to fast, transient signals.

There's nothing LOL, WTF or BS about either.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
  • Osarion
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    There's nothing LOL, WTF or BS about either.

Those weren't meant for THD and TIM I was poking fun at the African Mpingo wood. I've heard systems using it, though not this particular product. It's always fun to say African Mpingo!
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited July 2019
    Options
    So is it Emmpingo or Ummpingo or Mmmpingo........or is the M silent so just Pingo wood?
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Heavy thoughts, Luther.

he's a heavy guy.

Wait, let me rephrase that...
    I mean metaphorically.

like... umm... in-a-gadda-da-vida heavy, I mean...

B)
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    delkal wrote: »
    So is it Emmpingo or Ummpingo or Mmmpingo........or is the M silent so just Pingo wood?

M as in the O in opossum, methinks.

• Osarion
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

That's the way I've always heard it said, just Pingo. I like to add some flavor so it's Muh-Peeeeeeeng-Oooooohh!!
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    at least it's not !pingo B)
  • Osarion
    Options
    Is that the symbol for the click sound? If so you win this thread!! But I guess since you started the thread you win it by default haha!
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    edited July 2019
    Options

Ok so I should try to fit an Opossum into the Fisher 500C chassis or use 4 as feet ? I have quite a few round here in Alabama so I could try on the wall, in the corners....
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Osarion wrote: »
    Is that the symbol for the click sound? If so you win this thread!! But I guess since you started the thread you win it by default haha!

yes. the click.

B)
    VSAT88 wrote: »

Ok so I should try to fit an Opossum into the Fisher 500C chassis or use 4 as feet ? I have quite a few round here in Alabama so I could try on the wall, in the corners....

I think they could provide good damping -- they'll help keep ticks out of it, as well, which could be a plus.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    Osarion wrote: »

yes. the click.

B)
    VSAT88 wrote: »

I think they could provide good damping -- they'll help keep ticks out of it, as well, which could be a plus.

Ticks or Clicks ???? ^
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    whadda I look like, some kinda Noam Chomsky kinda ethnolinguist or what? ;)

I thought it was the clicks, like the !Kung
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ǃKung_people
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    hunh?! I've never heard/heard of that before!?!
    Cool.

Thanks for postin'

B)