Question for Sonos Google Assistant Users

cmy330go
cmy330go Posts: 2,341
Wondering if anyone here is using a mix of Google Assistant speakers, and Sonos speakers. For some time I've wanted to be able to stream a turntable to all my Google speakers, but unfortunately Google does not offer a native way of doing so. Sonos on the other hand has had the ability for years. So I'm wondering now that Sonos integrates with Google Assistant, if that means you can use Sonos hardware to stream an analog source to Google speakers. Anyone had any success with this?
HT
Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,903
    As long as there is a sonos box in front of the google speakers, it should work.

My only concern is, why a turntable ? You certainly won't capture what a good TT can do by going that route. Your not going to realize the sound quality a TT delivers by running it through a sonos and google speakers or sonos speakers.

Grab a music service like Napster, Tidal, Spotify, and you'll have all those songs you want to run on the TT anyway in the digital domain that you can shuffle around to the speakers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    edited July 2019
    I very much doubt it since Sonos has always been a closed system - can only play to Sonos devices. The Google Assistant integration adds the ability to control Sonos but, afaik, does not allow broadcast to Google devices.

I don't know too much about Google speakers - I have one of the little Google puck thingies in a kitchen that I have broadcast Roon to a few times. And I'm sure there are folks here that are doing what you want to do and can offer more definitive advice; but I'm guessing the easiest cheapest way to broadcast phono on your existing system would be to buy a Chromecast Audio and go from phono preamp or other analog out that carries the phono signal to the Chromecast Audio via an RCA to 3.5mm adapter and cast from there. [CORRECTION: Sorry, it looks like the 3.5mm is output only, so this is not workable]

A possible alternative might be to go RCA to an analog-to-digital converter and, via digital coax/optical/usb, to one of your current Google devices that can be used as Chromecast source (if this exists).

The easiest way would be to buy Sonos devices.

EDIT: It looks like using a Raspberry Pi with audio inputs is apparently an option as well.

Chromecast Audios on ebay:
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Google Chromecast Audio

A cheap ADC:
    https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108127-Digital-Optical-Converter/dp/B009GUNF4I

An inexpensive phono pre/ADC combo:
    https://www.musicdirect.com/adc/pro-ject-ad-phono-box-s-mmmc-phono-preamp-with-ad-converter

A good phono preamp / ADC combo:
    https://hifiheaven.net/shop/PS-Audio-NuWave-DSD-digital-to-analog-converter-Black-Used?language=en&currency=USD&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9pDpBRCkARIsAOzRziupub0P32wYJFgSbctUt_XN9S8DhF1I2DFe-ddSmmQJZ2Lequ-vn58aAv_CEALw_wcB
    Post edited by vcwatkins on
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • cmy330go
    tonyb wrote: »
    As long as there is a sonos box in front of the google speakers, it should work.

My only concern is, why a turntable ? You certainly won't capture what a good TT can do by going that route. Your not going to realize the sound quality a TT delivers by running it through a sonos and google speakers or sonos speakers.

Grab a music service like Napster, Tidal, Spotify, and you'll have all those songs you want to run on the TT anyway in the digital domain that you can shuffle around to the speakers.

This isn't about sound quality. I've got a designated listening room for that. This is just about streaming throughout the whole house while entertaining, and being able to play material that I'm not going to find on streaming services.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • cmy330go
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    I very much doubt it since Sonos has always been a closed system - can only play to Sonos devices. The Google Assistant integration adds the ability to control Sonos but, afaik, does not allow broadcast to Google devices.

I don't know too much about Google speakers - I have one of the little Google puck thingies in a kitchen that I have broadcast Roon to a few times. And I'm sure there are folks here that are doing what you want to do and can offer more definitive advice; but I'm guessing the easiest cheapest way to broadcast phono on your existing system would be to buy a Chromecast Audio and go from phono preamp or other analog out that carries the phono signal to the Chromecast Audio via an RCA to 3.5mm adapter and cast from there. [CORRECTION: Sorry, it looks like the 3.5mm is output only, so this is not workable]

A possible alternative might be to go RCA to an analog-to-digital converter and, via digital coax/optical/usb, to one of your current Google devices that can be used as Chromecast source (if this exists).

The easiest way would be to buy Sonos devices.

EDIT: It looks like using a Raspberry Pi with audio inputs is apparently an option as well.

Chromecast Audios on ebay:
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Google Chromecast Audio

A cheap ADC:
    https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108127-Digital-Optical-Converter/dp/B009GUNF4I

An inexpensive phono pre/ADC combo:
    https://www.musicdirect.com/adc/pro-ject-ad-phono-box-s-mmmc-phono-preamp-with-ad-converter

A good phono preamp / ADC combo:
    https://hifiheaven.net/shop/PS-Audio-NuWave-DSD-digital-to-analog-converter-Black-Used?language=en&currency=USD&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9pDpBRCkARIsAOzRziupub0P32wYJFgSbctUt_XN9S8DhF1I2DFe-ddSmmQJZ2Lequ-vn58aAv_CEALw_wcB

Yep. I have gone as far as buying the Raspberry Pi, but have been dragging my feet in the hopes that a cleaner solution would present itself. But looking like I may just have to bite the bullet, and build it.

Really thought that Google would somehow make the CC Audio do the trick with a simple software update, but that ship has sailed. Too bad they discontinued those. I have 3 of them so I can tie-in a few different systems around the house, and they work perfectly. They are a great little device.
    HT

2 CH
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,903
    cmy330go wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »

This isn't about sound quality. I've got a designated listening room for that. This is just about streaming throughout the whole house while entertaining, and being able to play material that I'm not going to find on streaming services.

Gotcha man...then I would rip those songs to a hard drive and connect that to the sonos . It's much easier taking your analog music and converting it to digital for the purpose of shuffling it around.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable