Sound for the going deaf

Options
littlewoodboats
littlewoodboats Posts: 823
edited June 2019 in The Clubhouse
We did this on another thread but here we go again. What amp would you suggest for a tinnitus suffurer who can hear but cannot hear? A proper Big Sky Audio GFA 585 makes top end noise to cause actual pain. A rebuilf Yamaha CA 1000 does not cause the same issue.

Unkle Jesse and.I have discussed this more than once with the drill being the Natural Sound Yamaha being sterile made for the enter.channel being.clear enough I can hear.voices. For what has been happening the past two years most.audio is just.a screaching noise.

I can send the Adcom back to Rick for refurb and sell it but what do I buy after?

Comments

• littlewoodboats
    littlewoodboats Posts: 823
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I have a.pair.of.MC 40's but they are.not happy with the Outlaw pre/pro we use for everh day lostening. For the Paragon the sound sweet to a point with a Vellman passive pre
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I've got a bit of tinnitus going on myself. Of course, I don't know how to compare what I experience to what anyone else does. I don't think it affects my hearing greatly, however. I mean, I'm sure I have some upper-range loss that seems to be normal as one gets older. And, when it's really quiet, I hear a constant high-pitch noise. My main solution to that is to make sure I have something to compete with it - music, TV, even a fan helps. My focus in building my system was to achieve a refined, quality sound (to my ears) that didn't need to be cranked up to the max to enjoy. Hearing doesn't come back, so I try not to do anything that could cause it to get worse.
  • littlewoodboats
    Options
    What do you mean by vintage Mac, Skip? We talking tubes or something like a MC125?
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I've got a bit of tinnitus going on myself. Of course, I don't know how to compare what I experience to what anyone else does. I don't think it affects my hearing greatly, however. I mean, I'm sure I have some upper-range loss that seems to be normal as one gets older. And, when it's really quiet, I hear a constant high-pitch noise. My main solution to that is to make sure I have something to compete with it - music, TV, even a fan helps. My focus in building my system was to achieve a refined, quality sound (to my ears) that didn't need to be cranked up to the max to enjoy. Hearing doesn't come back, so I try not to do anything that could cause it to get worse.

I have 25 years on ships at sea so everything sounds like the forced draft blower. As much as I hate to think it my hearing is failing so critical listening is a thing of the past. All I want is to be able to listen without a screetching noise
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    My hearing isn't as bad as yours, but I do suffer from tinnitus also. Tubes bro, get yourself some tubed gear or SS that is described as warm sounding. With cabling that leans towards the warmer side.

Do you wear hearing aids ? Have you tried with them in and out ? Some hearing aids distort those higher frequencies, while some help with the tinnitus.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    Options
    Tinnitus is one thing, going deaf is another. Other than perhaps getting tube gear and listening at lower levels I suggest talking to an ear doc.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    Options
    Try a PS Audio S300. Tubelike at a reasonable price and no tube hassle. I'm hard of hearing but no tinnitus thankfully, but I love this amp.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • littlewoodboats
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    My hearing isn't as bad as yours, but I do suffer from tinnitus also. Tubes bro, get yourself some tubed gear or SS that is described as warm sounding. With cabling that leans towards the warmer side.

Do you wear hearing aids ? Have you tried with them in and out ? Some hearing aids distort those higher frequencies, while some help with the tinnitus.

I do not wear hearing aids. Going to the comments made below by Jesse extreme tinnitus is probably the best example.

I like tubes but was not specific in my opener. I need a five channel amp.

F1nut wrote: »
    Tinnitus is one thing, going deaf is another. Other than perhaps getting tube gear and listening at lower levels I suggest talking to an ear doc.

I have been to and am on a first name basis with my audiologist (i think i spelled it wrong). I do think extreme tinnitus is more the condition.

Biggest problem is there is no where close to listen to anything past the local Best Buy. Thinking about it an amp on the warm side sounds like a good place to start.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I find turning it up drowns out the tinnitus in my left ear.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • littlewoodboats
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »

I turn it up that loud the old lady starts getting pissed. I loved the Adcom with the 2 A's but Melody didn't.

I am listening now at a level so low I can hear the dog snore in the back of the house. I am not hearing anything dynamic but I can hear the voices.

Warm may be the correct direction to look. So five channel crossed at 80hz driving Monitor 7's and currently a CS 400I. Rears to be added in ceiling at a later time
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    Options
    Extreme tinnitus, eh? That cannot be pleasant. I'm sorry, I don't have any suggestions for a 5 channel amp.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,976
    edited July 2019
    Options
    B&k reference 200.5 would be nice. Warmer sound, plenty of power.

B&K AV5000 is much cheaper and is also very warm to the point that the highs are a bit rolled off and the bass has a more tube like texture. The ones on eBay right now are overpriced imho...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,028
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Tough problem yours is. I have frequent mild to light moderate ringing but enough to understand that more than that can be a real grinder.
    Rather than changing out everything else, how about a pre/pro that has multiband equalization or a quality multiband equalizer. That could tame the ranges that are a problem and enhance the ones you prefer.
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • littlewoodboats
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Extreme tinnitus, eh? That cannot be pleasant. I'm sorry, I don't have any suggestions for a 5 channel amp.

We talked about this when we talked about cables but ot is just lately to this extreme. Hearing protection is not just tripple flange protectors and muffs.

I am screwed through the continued shockwaves through the jaw that translate directly to the inner ear. I did everything possible to protect my hearing. What killed my hearing had nothing to do with hearing.protection.

I do thank you for the reply and any thoughts you might have. We do love our unkle.Jesse
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    B&k reference 200.5 would be nice. Warmer sound, plenty of power.

B&K is a great am and a great suggeation. Where can I go listen to one?

CGTIII wrote: »
    Tough problem yours is. I have frequent mild to light moderate ringing but enough to understand that more than that can be a real grinder.
    Rather than changing out everything else, how about a pre/pro that has multiband equalization or a quality multiband equalizer. That could tame the ranges that are a problem and enhance the ones you prefer.

I have some exceptional eq components but prefer to not put them in the audio chain.

EQ is always an opion but not one I prefer.

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,875
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »

I turn it up that loud the old lady starts getting pissed. I loved the Adcom with the 2 A's but Melody didn't.

I am listening now at a level so low I can hear the dog snore in the back of the house. I am not hearing anything dynamic but I can hear the voices.

Warm may be the correct direction to look. So five channel crossed at 80hz driving Monitor 7's and currently a CS 400I. Rears to be added in ceiling at a later time

Steve, I'll send Melody more of those tasty maple candies to keep her busy while you rock out!!
  • littlewoodboats
    Options
    [quote

Steve, I'll send Melody more of those tasty maple candies to keep her busy while you rock out!! [/quo
  • jawhog
    jawhog Posts: 444
    Options
    Every time I see this post heading I momentarily think it’s going to be something about Queens of the Stone Age