DYI open frame stands

I just acquired a pair of EPOS ES 14 speakers. There are metal open frame stands that were designed for the speakers. Supposedly they come up on eBay occasionally. Until I can find a pair I was thinking of building an interim pair using wood. I made some stands for Monitor 10s using plans that were posted on this site. Are there any similar plans or places to look to get some information to build open frame stands?

Best Answer

Answers

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,968
    LOTS of DIY speaker plans on the web. However, depending on how elaborate you wanted to be (and how heavy and inert you want the speakers to be) I think those would be really easy to build. You could do something like this but make the base bigger and use 3-4 pieces of pipe per stand and fill: https://www.instructables.com/id/PVC-and-Plywood-Speaker-Stands-for-Cheap/ Those would be pretty serious! Or just four 2x2s if you want something quicker and more temporary...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • pelhamplace
    pelhamplace Posts: 111
    Very helpful. Thanks for your input. The stands that were designed to match with the speakers are open frame. The reviews state that the open frame design helps the bass. I’m sure I can come up with a design using 2x4s.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,968
    If you want four columns I would use 2x2s I think and stacked plywood on the bottom for added weight and stability and you could trim about the bottom to make it look nicer. Just an idea...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer