Burning FLAC and WAV to Micro SD

I got a new digital audio player for my car and I'm using JRiver MC 24 to transfer entire albums over to a 256 GB SanDisk micro SD card. The WAV albums seem to copy fine but the FLAC files don't contain the individual track song names. For example, a FLAC album will look like this,
AC/DC - Back in Black (1)
AC/DC - Back in Black (2)
AC/DC - Back in Black (3)
AC/DC - Back in Black (4)
AC/DC - Back in Black (5)
AC/DC - Back in Black (6)
AC/DC - Back in Black (7)
AC/DC - Back in Black (8)
AC/DC - Back in Black (9)
AC/DC - Back in Black (10)
...so it lists the track number but not the song name.
Is this something inherent in FLAC files? In JRiver they show the song names. It's not the player because it's the same when viewing the SanDisk on my computer.
2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones

Comments

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Is it that way for all albums?
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    edited June 2019
    It's as if it's showing the file names and not the metadata info. I listen to FLAC off of usb thumb drives all the time for car, Marantz DAC, computer, and have never had an issue.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited June 2019
    Is it that way for all albums?

It appears that it's like that for all FLAC albums. I didn't actually look at every single one but enough to get the idea. I have Googled the crap out of this with no results.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    edited June 2019
    Were the FLAC stored on your computer, and then transferred to the micro SD card? If so, how do they look on your hard drive?

FLAC files can store all the typical meta data.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Does JRiver have a setting/routine to fetch the corresponding metadata? Google it
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    I'm using JRiver MC 24 to transfer entire albums over to a 256 GB SanDisk micro SD card.
    Have you tried not using JRiver for transfers and using Win10 File Explorer and copy/pasting the albums to your SD card? Personally I don't think that would make a difference, but that's how I do it.
  • dragon1952
    edited June 2019
    I think the problem is that JRiver labels the albums ripped as FLAC as Media Center Files with no folder/file hierarchy whereas the WAV rips are placed in folders with the artist name, then a subfolder with the album name which contains the properly labeled track/song names.
    When looking at the file names in JRiver, on a FLAC rip it shows the track names as "flac;1, flac;2, flac;3, etc
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    My guess is the player is displaying file names rather than meta data as the computer also does when looking at the SD card. If the files are tagged in JRIver and the meta data show in JRiver most likely there is a setting in the player that is just showing file names by default.

It is also possible in JRiver to universally rename files according to what the actual album track numer and song names are tagged as.

It used to be that it was more difficult to tag WAV files in media software but that is no longer the case. It has always been the case that FLAC files can be tagged with extensive meta data.
  • dragon1952
    That's probably on the right line of thinking. Here's an example of how the filename is displayed in JRiver. This is when I select an album for playing that has been ripped in FLAC.
    Filename = C:\Music\ACDC - Back in Black,flac;1
    vs a WAV rip
    Filename = C:\Music\Beck\Morning Phase\03-Heart is a Drum.wav
  • jdjohn
    FWIW, MP3tag is a very powerful free download for managing audio file meta-data tagging/saving.

Adapting files/formats for a new device can be a real labor of love :)<3
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    If you're relatively new to JRiver, it can be confusing because of all the options it has but that's also why it's also so powerful.

If loading meta data is the issue, this may help:

Right click on an album in JRiver to select it, then from the pull down menu select "Library tools" then "Lookup Track Info from Online Database"
    JRiver uses the YADB database for metadata and it's very good for common albums
    Select one of the options it presents to you
    You can also manually enter or edit the Artist, Album, and Track Name if you don't like what it auto fills

If you already have the meta data, there is a way to get all the file names to be similar in format:

Right click on an album (or many albums) in JRiver to select it, then from the pull down menu select "Library Tools" then "Rename, Move and Copy Files" then from the table that shows select the rename option
    With your info from above, set a "Base Path" as c:\Music
    Set the folder structure as [Artist]\[Album]
    Set file name as [Track#]-[Name].............(there is a preset button for this too)
    It will show the current file info for the album's tracks and the proposed changes

What you are seeing now is Back in Black as a separate folder for each track compared with Beck as "Artist" and Morning Phase as "Album" followed by individual tracks within the Morning Phase folder.

The Morning Phase album is file structured correctly, or at least how I would do it.
  • dragon1952
    OK, I just thought of something. I haven't ripped CD's to FLAC for quite some time....like one or two JRiver versions ago? So I tried ripping a CD to FLAC with MC 24 and it worked fine and labeled the filename just like it does for WAV. So whatever the issue is with these older FLAC rips was with older JRiver versions.
  • jdjohn
    Very limited exposure to CD ripping for me, but Exact Audio Copy (EAC) has worked a treat, and it's free.
  • dragon1952
    edited June 2019
    I finally learned that the files I've having the issues with are albums that got imported into JRiver as .cue files which are single files instead of a folder with a file for each song. I guess this is an option for certain types of music, like classical, where there aren't necessarily individual song delineations? Those must be from a long time ago....maybe from my Exact Audio Copy days. It's possible I used that option with it and then later imported those files into JRiver, so if so, that goes back 6-7 yrs or more :^ /
    Anyway, one solution is where you just re-convert the file to FLAC and that pretty much solves the issue. This has been driving me nuts for days. I knew I had those files out there but I had no idea why they were different than the others or that it mattered.