LSi9/7 System reciever

Need some help here on purchasing a new receiver for my LSi9,LSi7, LSi Center system. I am upgrading my old Pioneer receiver that has a blown amp. Right now I am looking at Denon 4500H, Marantz 6013, and Pioneer SC701. Having asked around about power requirements to drive these 4 ohm monsters I am being pushed toward another Pioneer like the SC701 due to the power and efficiency of the Class D3 amps. On my old SC1523 I was not impressed with MACC calibration and much preferred my Audessey Cal on my Onkyo in the Den. My Heart is thinking the Marantz which has AB amps, but do I need the power of the Pioneer D3 amps to get the most from these speakers.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated,

Comments

• rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 6,002
    Any of those receivers will drive them, but it will be strained, which is possibly why you have a blown amp. You need an external amp to get the most out of those speakers, even if just a 2 channel for the mains. My suggestion would be to take a step down on the receiver and use the extra money for a good used two channel amp.
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
  • anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 2,526
    Either invest in a discrete amp, or upgrade the crossovers, or both. I did find that my LSi9s with upgraded crossovers are _much_ easier to drive.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 31,647
    A separate 2 channel amp at least for the front left and right, let any of those receivers drive the rest.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 13,420
    What Rooftop said! Welcome to Club Polk Pandler.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 ch. 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 6,002
    Unless you NEED the extra channels, the denon 3500 or marantz 5013 would be fine with a good two channel amp. I would go with the denon, slightly more neutral and forward sounding to balance out the warm and laid back LSis.
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch