Bi amping SDA 3.1 speakers?

Options
ThomasR
ThomasR Posts: 14
edited June 2019 in Vintage Speakers
I've had my SRS 3.1 speakers since I bought them new back in day. I'm looking at some things to spice them up a little (tweeter, crossover mods) . One thing on my mind is bi amping them. I have a Adcom GFA-545 amp 100 watts, I have access to another one. Is there noticeable benefit to bi amping? I thought I would get some opinions before buying a bunch of speaker wire.

Comments

• honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Options
    OH you are about to open a can of worms style debate!! :D:D
    (meaning it depends on with whom you talk. Also please remember you need an isolation transformer in your crossfeed cable. I.E. an AI-1 OR a dreadnaught if you're doing upgrades)
    I STRONGLY recommend either having @vr3 do your crossovers or talking to @westmassguy if what Trey charges is a bit steep.
    I have heard biamping to good effect and to no effect myself btw.
    It depends a LOT on the speakers and equipment.
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    Seems like a lot of effort to separate two tweeters from the rest of the drivers. If you have an amplifier that can power the speakers as-is...I'm not sure you're really gaining anything but expense and complexity.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,793
    Options
    Getting a better amp will net greater pleasure.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ThomasR
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

I hear you on a better amp, I'm just trying to use what I have available to improve the sound with as little additional $$ as possible outside of improving the speakers. The additional Adcom amp is a freebie. I have RD0 198 tweeters on the way and installing them is about it it for my tech abilities. Woodworking is my forte, I can build a nice chair to sit and listen to them, that's about it.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    I don't think Bi-Amping the 3.1TL's, with only one tweeter per cabinet, would be very beneficial. Bi-Wiring "might" be a better option.

Or, get some better quality jumpers on the Binding Posts and a better Amplifier as Jesse has recommended.

The 3.1's are VERY easy to drive, Bi-Amping would be a waste of time/money IMHO.
  • ThomasR
    Options
    Well strike one on that idea. I'm trying figure out best bang for the buck, so let me toss this out there. I'm running the amp off an Adcom GTP-500 preamp. It had good reviews when I bought it (1990ish) but probably not the best these days. What effect does the preamp have on the overall sound and is that something worth looking into as a way to improve the sound?
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    There certainly are better preamps. Even so, I bet that Adcom is no slouch.

I admit that I never had an interest in the Tuner/Preamps. I had a GFP-565 for a couple years, liked it a lot. It went away when I went multi-channel with a preamp/processor.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited June 2019
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    As much as I’ve enjoyed the perks of NO passive filters* in my system, unless you have a thorough understanding of those XOs, I believe going active would likely be a step back.
    * tri-amping

Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work