will EV's destroy the aftermarket car audio industry?

I haven't been paying much attention to car audio lately, so I apologize if this is already a well versed topic. But I've been wondering, how will electric vehicles affect the car audio industry? We will no longer have a mechanical alternator driven from a gas powered energy source, our amplifiers and sound processors will draw directly from the vehicle's main power storage, and given a decent sized system with a decent electrical draw, would affect the actual range of the car.

But its also technically true that spinning an alternator (or multiple alts) also burns more fuel and decreases range on internal combustion vehicles. I suppose once we have fast-charge batteries (such as graphene based) that this will be less of an issue. But Im curious what people think on how, or if, EV's will affect car audio.

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Short answer is....no. EV sales are not setting the world on fire and gas cars aren't going anywhere soon.

Unless you live in California, where it's possible they may pass laws forbidding gas cars. Otherwise, I wouldn't be losing sleep over it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    The aftermarket car audio electronics business imploded years ago...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    tonyb wrote: »
    Short answer is....no. EV sales are not setting the world on fire...

Well... they're workin' on that...

vekwidpycs0o.png

vgn5g94crkvi.png

ejyt4i6kbvoz.png

b222hzull38u.png
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517

Correct. Once manufactures started integrating sensors, LCD screens, backup camera's, computers, etc into vehicles, it killed the aftermarket scene.

I'd have to invest close to 2-3k into my 2010 Nissan Murano just to get it back to where it already is sound wise, and likely 3-4 to really make it sound better.

Additionally anyone with a EV car with their current range is already going into it knowing its a "tool around town only" car not a "commute from anywhere frequently" car, so adding a sound system to it wont drain the battery "that" much.

Its not like someone is going to buy one knowing they are at the edge of the one way range of the battery with their work commute.

Personally, my next car will be "new" enough to have things like cruise control, power windows, etc, but beyond that nothing crazy so that I can redo the sound system the way I want without having to hack into the electronics 50 million ways to ensure the sensors give out the right error codes, or I dont trigger an airbag, etc.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Seems dead to me also.

Back in the day, everybody had some sort of cranking system. Crazy options then.

Now on a rare occasion, I'll have some person pull up beside me, thumping like crazy.

Which I usually then end up getting the finger from them as I'm laughing and shaking my head at how bad it really sounds. :D
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Yeah I still have a nice aftermarket stereo in one of my cars. It also happens to be an 09 where I can get away with it.

Like what has been said before it is just phasing out or will move to motorcycle/marine audio systems. Too many electronics already in a car for me to feel comfortable putting a stereo in my 17'. Stereos are hard on a car anyway... At least if you are running a sub with a high current draw.

I'm going to let the current system run until we replace the 09' car and then sell it after that most likely.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    With the way they have the electronic integrated these days, it's next to impossible. Probably better off just opting for the upgraded stereo most car makers offer. Who wouldn't dig a Mark Levinson system in their car/truck ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Odd first post. You forget the spam link?
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Odd first post. You forget the spam link?
    Lol, same post can also be found here:
    https://www.caraudio.com/topic/602139-will-evs-destroy-the-aftermarket-car-audio-industry/
    Seems like the real author is a legit member of the other forum, based on his post count. This poser here just did a copy/paste job.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    With the way they have the electronic integrated these days, it's next to impossible. Probably better off just opting for the upgraded stereo most car makers offer. Who wouldn't dig a Mark Levinson system in their car/truck ?

For what it's worth I didn't get into the car audio game for anything but big bass. I have grown to where I have my system set up to push out SPL if it is asked to but is delicate when needs to be. Perfect across all genres, never over bloated on rock or the like.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Who wouldn't dig a Mark Levinson system in their car/truck ?

Dual purpose... Nelson Pass Class A audio design.... then forgo cabin heat and double down on AC hehehehe
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Got a 2019 Silverado WT. No issues putting in aftermarket system. Line out converter from zapco was 50 bucks. Works flawlessly. Switched acc source in fuse box. Bingo.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited August 2021
    Who wouldn't dig a Mark Levinson system in their car/truck ?

Dual purpose... Nelson Pass Class A audio design.... then forgo cabin heat and double down on AC hehehehe

For most Lexus owners that want better sound, the $1100 - $3600 Mark Levinson option makes a lot of sense. However, for those that that want a great sounding aftermarket system, its very possible to integrate into the factory system. Most times a DSP unit is added in, a Can Bus Interface, then aftermarket speakers, amps, wire and cable are added in. Just need to find an installer that knows what they are doing.

Here's some great examples of sound quality factory integration with high end aftermarket systems, even in Tesla vehicles.
    https://www.simplicityinsound.com/index.php/galleries/sound-quality-builds

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threads/electric-insanity-tesla-model-s-p85d-sq-build-audio-frog-mosconi-morel.175166/

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threads/electric-slide-the-jesse-way-tesla-model-s-90d-build-af-mosconi-morel-illusion.266993/

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threads/homage-to-a-classic-install-2016-golf-r-gladen-mosconi-illusion-audio.285545/

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threads/not-your-typical-sis-install-sql-audi-s5-new-focal-kevlar-arc-mosconi.283289/

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threads/simple-sq-upgrade-on-a-2016-honda-accord-mosconi-arc-morel.278545/

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threads/german-goodies-in-a-german-sports-coupe-16-m4-sq-build-gladen-mosconi.268362/

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threads/tick-the-sis-audio-option-box-2015-335i-oem-sq-morel-arc-af-mosconi.232122/

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threads/stock-location-sq-for-one-of-my-original-customers-435i-gc-arc-mosconi-hat-am.211554/

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073

Man, the Nelson Pass Adcom amps and Soundsreams are two brands that I wanted really bad back in the day. The price tag was waay up there and I never got the chance. It would be cool to rip out the Beats Audio system in my Chrysler and do an aftermarket setup using old school Soundstream amps.

Adcom GFA-4702
    49803039942_2d0f059691_b.jpg
    49802735456_d8915cd4df_b.jpg

Soundstream Reference Class A Picasso
    Old-School-Soundstream-Picasso-Class-A-Amp.jpg
    s-l160011.webp

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited August 2021
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Short answer is....no. EV sales are not setting the world on fire...

Well... they're workin' on that...

:D

nstc81uykfym.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205

Not so,the business is better now than ever.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited August 2021
    decal wrote: »

Not so,the business is better now than ever.

And this is why there are so many shops out there that specialize in high-end Mobile Audio... Here in Los Angles, shops were as common as Starbucks. Now they are few and far between.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    We had several high end privately owned shops and Best buy that did tons of business. Now the last privately owned shop puts in breathalyzers for folks who got DUI's and Best buy stopped 2yrs ago.