Shunyata Hydra8 has landed in Verb's House

Options
verb
verb Posts: 10,176
So I'm starting up my power conditioner game. I currently have a Furman Elite 15PFi purchased right here on this forum, and have been very happy with it. But since I have multiple rigs around the house, none of the others are power conditioned, decided to begin that journey.

Arrived yesterday in minty condition!
89qvm56og9vb.jpg

This guy is destined for the big rig in the basement. The Furman is going to the secondary rig down there as well.

Of course I got a great deal on this baby! So I couldn't resist!

I've read lots of good things about AQ, WW, and others, but what intrigued me about Shunyata was their patented approach. From their website:

Noise Isolation Chambers (NIC™ ) as a means of eliminating high-frequency noise without the reactive effects of traditional transformers and large capacitors.

https://shunyata.com/power-distributors

Besides the marketing speak, they use what is called a ferroelectric chamber, which they claim literally converts the EMI/RFI into heat! In other words, absorbs noise! Is this for real? Well I'm gonna give it a go. Some others on this forum have Shunyata devices, and love em, we'll see!

Here's a link to the patent:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=8,658,892.PN.&OS=PN/8,658,892&RS=PN/8,658,892

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.

Comments

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Sure, I post a CPT review and you have to go and do this. I see how it is. B) Look forward to your impressions and hope it's everything you want....and more!!!
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • verb
    Options
    JayCee wrote: »
    Sure, I post a CPT review and you have to go and do this. I see how it is. B) Look forward to your impressions and hope it's everything you want....and more!!!

Hehe! All good brah - I'm here to learn! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,759
    Options
    Very interested in your expernce with the Hydra.....keep us posted.
  • verb
    edited June 2019
    Options
    More information. The Shunyata device is an adaptation/improvement of a previous patent, using ferroelectric materials for speaker wires, or other electrical cables! :smile:

Gabriel. US Patent 6,545213
    rnayg9yxoyqa.png

Link to that patent:
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US6545213B1/en
  • verb
    Options
    Patent art on the Shunyata. And, it's the same inventor! Gabriel! :smile:
    w1tp4wmjt9tm.png
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    If anything else lands at your house, you will need clearance from the FAA.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,081
    Options
    ............or the Earth will start to wable because of too much weight at his house.

The power conditioner looks nice.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • verb
    Options
    If anything else lands at your house, you will need clearance from the FAA.

Already filed the flight plan with the FAA for the Carver Statements to land in Michigan! :smile:
  • verb
    Options
    So a little back story on this guy. When I got it, unboxed it, I noticed some noise coming from inside the unit. Like a granular sound coming from within as I re-oriented it.

WTF? Is this thing damaged? Fear immediately set in, as I tried to figure it out!

I reached out to my dear friend @pitdogg2 whom I know has one, loves it, and asked for advice. He assured me all is well. The granular sound is the ferroelectric particles inside the chamber just moving around. Whew, I'm ok now, but I had to pop the hood to see if everything is all right.

Ivan even sent me a copy of the owner's manual, as he advised me that there is a specific sequence of plugging the devices in/out before powering on/off. Thanks Ivan for the help! :smile:

1xte4ejcfiiy.jpg

This thing is simplicity personified. At the bottom is the sealed Ferroelectric Chamber, and just some simple wiring in and out to the outlets.

Well, how's it sound? Gonna take her for a spin today!
  • verb
    Options
    Did a little research on Ferro Electric particles. Mostly in crystalline form, here are some out there:

k57w5cz3ns38.png
  • verb
    Options
    Hooked up to the upstairs rig. Maiden voyage! Previously this rig was hooked up to a cheapo power strip. Yeah I know :smile:
    ldsyal6h3fyi.jpeg
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I'm not familiar with this unit? How old is it? While I am sure all Shunyata gear is great, the gear from the last five years is fantastic.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Dave!! Just saw this!
    Congrats brother.
  • verb
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Dave!! Just saw this!
    Congrats brother.

Thanks Joe! Working on upping my power conditioner game. It is, IMO, the antithesis of your Niagara, which is very cool. Simplicity vs. Sophisticated.

It's amazing to me how two very different approaches to power conditioning can achieve similar results.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,759
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    The granular sound is the ferroelectric particles inside the chamber just moving around.

Glad all is well....this came to mind... B)

https://youtu.be/ag_xdhFUjwc
  • verb
    Options
    Exactly! I ain't gonna let those ghosts out of the chamber! :smile:
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,042
    Options
    Interesting, I may need to keep my eyes peeled for a Pair of hydra 2 one for my streamer/dac and one for my Amp.

I like the premise.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • verb
    Options
    So had a chance to play a couple of Shpongle CD's this afternoon. Gotta love Shpongle (thanks Drew!) very detailed, complex, goa trance and electronica all rolled up into some very articulate and spatial recordings.

Even on this meager low power system, I noticed a difference. In a word, cleaner. More clarity. The SVS subwoofer is now plugged into the Shunyata, and it got just a bit tighter. In fact, I wasn't really happy with the current location of the sub, was gonna play with it some more, it was almost there, but play around with the controls and location some more. But now, it just sounds right. Am I crazy? I'm really amazed. I'm not gonna touch the sub after the Shunyata!

Even the Pass Ampcamp monoblock's too, they just have a bit more fullness and clarity too em.

Gonna spend some more time with it of course, and put it through it's paces on the big rig downstairs, but so far, I'm impressed. This thing, as simple as it is, really is amazing! :smile:
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,164
    Options
    Are You shpongled?😂😂good stuff
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,004
    Options
    I wish a truck load of cash would land at my house!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    Another nice score, Dave! Congratulations

I was under the impression in our/my area had pretty clean power to begin with.
    It’s amazing what regeneration / filtering can do

Rock On, Bro ...
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • verb
    Options
    Owner's manual arrived today! Thanks brother Ivan! :smile:
  • verb
    Options
    Gotta laugh at myself. Something's loose inside! It's ok Dave, calm down! :smile:
    mim4pf9emadl.png
  • verb
    Options
    So the magic dust inside the Hydra is FeSi-1002. Quick search of FeSi-1002 led to this early review of the Hydra8 on Stereotimes:
    http://www.stereotimes.com/acc020805.shtml