Opinion

Options
dorokusai
dorokusai Posts: 25,576
My stepfather picked up a Pro-ject as I suggested. Crazy Red with dustcover and decent Ortofon head. What are your thoughts on head and arm upgrades?

It’s my standard to experience further but he’s tickled with this solid piece.

Just wondering. Carbon or better platter? As an example. My VPI Scout was already tricked but I lost interest for vinyl. I’m just asking for thoughts. Nothing is off the table. Be honest.

d
CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    Honestly I like the way the Project tables sound stock. Audioquest makes some nice wiring upgrades that make a difference and their needles are very good. Arm wise I'm less experienced with so I have no opinion there.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • dorokusai
    Options
    I hear you Mantis. I’m just happy that he’s happy and can tinker with it.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    I think you should take the hands off approach.

Perhaps suggest an upgrade or two, give him a gift card to cover those expencies, if that’s the general intention you have.

Finally let him decide if the upgrades, more a nice dinner out is more to his liking
  • dorokusai
    Options
    Totally agree. It’s just cool to see someone who loves his new toy. It’s like watching a new recruit descend into High Fidelity. You know what I mean?

d
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    Those Pro-Ject turntables are pretty well designed physically for what they are in terms of isolation and wiring. It may be difficult to get a new user to understand this, but using a dedicated phono preamp costing more than the whole turntable cost originally may make more difference than any other single change would. To me, stepping up a notch to a higher level Ortofon cartridge would be next in line.
  • dorokusai
    Options
    I get it E but as I said previously it’s really cool to watch some progress. For now he’s a pig in shite. All of us started with simplicity.

I’m just commenting on fresh love and I get to see that unfold. It should be inspirational. Club Polk should be a safe place for everybody and continue being influential.

All audio should present or bring you to another level. Make no mistake as I’ve owned shite that may have been ridiculous. A tweak is most likely be a low level experience. We all hear changes and you’ve now jumped into something different. You can’t change hearts and minded folk but you are obligated to defend our brand. Always.

“It’s Audio man and you don’t have to build a rocket. Ears are the goto love, Stop overthinking, it’s music and that’s all we want” -- George Grand.

The Godfather of Club Polk.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    When it comes to TT's, cartridge is first in and phone preamps last out....That what I would go with first/second
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • dorokusai
    Options
    Thx TX.

I have a very cool Cambridge Audio pre-amp. This is his first foray into TTs. He ordered another cartridge upon my suggestion.

He’s fresh and killing it so far.

d
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,001
    Options
    Have you welcomed him to the rabbit hole? :D

Seriously, is it a Debut Carbon DC? If so, I would replace the composite sub-platter with an upgraded aluminum one, and also upgrade the bearing. Acoustand (across the pond) makes/made? both upgrades, but they may be kind of hard to find now. You might try starting with these guys: https://perkune.com/turntable-upgrades . The upgraded acrylic platter would be another upgrade to make, but the sub-platter and bearing will make a bigger difference.

Good call on the cartridge if his came with the stock Ortofon 2M-Red. I find that one too analytical, and not enough musical.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Cool Karma, I’m in with 58 on the VPI.
  • dorokusai
    Options
    Thanks Jdjohn. I’ll pass it along.