Youse guyses is wise in the ways of automotive care products; what's a good glass cleaning product?

Looking for recommendations/suggestions for a good, non-streaking glass cleaner (and or methodology) for auto glass. Specifically, for the inside surface.

I know from my past life in the lab that 95% ethanol will leave plate glass very, very clean (back in the olden days, we used to make our own polyacrylamide gels for protein electrophoresis, cast between plates of very clean glass). I'd prefer a "commercial" solution (although I do - still - keep some 190 proof EtOH around for solvent use).

Thanks!

Comments

• izafar
    izafar Posts: 814
    +1 on Invisible Glass. I find the Aerosol version better then spray bottle.
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Do you think your title is long enough? I second/third the Invisible Glass. Works great.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    stoner-glass-cleaners-92164-64_1000.jpg

Thanks!

With a name like Stoner, it has to be good...

B)

jzi82lk1ul1n.png
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited June 2019
    Best advice I can give, don't clean any glass that's been heated in direct sun. That streak-free claim will go... wait for it... out the window.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    I think a quality waffle-pattern micro-fiber towel is more important than the solvent/cleaner. Plain water will work fine for a streak-free finish IF the glass is already clean.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2019
    This is excellent; thanks,folks!

I note wryly that the Vanilla censor battered @Mikey081057's amazon link. Now I have to guess what the **** was (I think I can suss it out...). EDIT: interestingly, Amazon parses the link correctly(?!), despite the censorship (the address bar still shows the asterisks, but the page loads). Technology... :p

@mrbiron, do they have one that contains whale oil, ambergris, or elephant ivory? ;)
    EDIT: Contains perfume-grade alcohol. Is that better or worse than, e.g., wino-grade alcohol?

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Haven’t found much difference between regular old Windex and Stoner myself. Even the generic stuff will get the job done. As long as it’s used sprayed onto a microfiber cloth rather than the windows and done on glass that’s out of the sun. I only clean the inside of glass once a year though! Paper towels are not good as they are made of wood product chippings and glue.
  • mhardy6647
    My luck with windex is (heh-heh-heh) spotty.
    I've usually used microfiber just as a final 'polish'; haven't tried using it for application.
    I always clean glass in the garage. Heck, I try hard not to clean the house windows* when the sun is shining on 'em.

* Not that we clean 'em very often... they need it now, in fact. Dang "six over six" windows are a pain to clean. I even used to have an itty-bitty squeegee to use on 'em, but the rubber rotted & I've yet to find another one of the right size. :p
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Invisible glass is also tint safe.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    edited June 2019
    It's not a spray, but Zaino glass polish is a compound you apply and buff until it dissapears.... Take a little longer but the glass becomes liquid like when done.

eh1nhqnf5l0c.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    If ya have some automotive polish not wax, that can help with streaks on glass. I put a very light application on mine and it works wonders for me.
  • Mikey081057
    Rain-x makes a glass cleaner and treatment for your windshield which down here where it rains so hard that wipers are useless... works great don't even need wipers. Only for the exterior.

194t58oapkjv.png

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I always use rain-X after cleaning that is the bomb and agree water shoots off the glass. I use the invisible glass cleaner for me I found it works best and yes I spray it on a clean microfiber cloth and go back over with a dry micro fiber cloth. I dislike any glass cleaners that foam for me they are the worst at streaking.
  • Mikey081057
    You shouldn't use Windex or any ammonia based glass cleaners tinted film.

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    I second the spray way aerosol cleaner.

Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Invisible user here too plus microfiber cloth
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    The best advice I have found online, is to use a new microfiber cloth to wipe the inside glass first before you use any cleaner. Gets the film off of it. Then use a different microfiber cloth with whatever spray you use. And, as stated above, do it when the window is out of the sun.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    (although I do - still - keep some 190 proof EtOH around for solvent use).

yea that explains the slurred typing.... Solvent use now that is FUN E :D:D:D

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    I use Sprayway glass cleaner, can be found at Walmart. Then follow that with a claying using the Griot's Garage glass clay with Speedshine as a lube.
  • mhardy6647
    Duuuuude -- I was at Home Despot this morning, and they had some of that Stoner stuff. Like, wow, man...

I'm gonna crank up some Dead and give it a try later.
    Maybe I'll turn on a black light, too*.
    Whoa.

8r8vudt18tey.png

In seriousness, thanks to all for the advice and tips.
    We don't window tint here. Remember we live in near total darkness six months out of the year up here B)

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Duuuuude -- I was at Home Despot this morning, and they had some of that Stoner stuff. Like, wow, man...

I'm gonna crank up some Dead and give it a try later.
    Maybe I'll turn on a black light, too*.
    Whoa.

8r8vudt18tey.png

In seriousness, thanks to all for the advice and tips.
    We don't window tint here. Remember we live in near total darkness six months out of the year up here B)

If Russ cleans your glass, guaranteed to have streaks
  • Mike Kozak
    Mike Kozak Posts: 930
    Gin and newspaper does a great job
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Water, white vinegar and news papers.
  • mhardy6647
    I know that 'newsprint' is a good matrix for cleaning glass, specifically for removing grease. I know several folks who swear by it for eyeglasses, although it seems a little coarse to me for that.

So...

Is actual newspaper (with whatever sort of vegetable-based inks they use nowadays) still good for cleaning glass?

I ended up doing outside chores today & haven't - yet - gone Stoner.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I know that 'newsprint' is a good matrix for cleaning glass, specifically for removing grease. I know several folks who swear by it for eyeglasses, although it seems a little coarse to me for that.

So...

Is actual newspaper (with whatever sort of vegetable-based inks they use nowadays) still good for cleaning glass?

I ended up doing outside chores today & haven't - yet - gone Stoner.

Yeah, newspapers still work fine and it's better than reading them.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Mark, use a good quality Clay bar to remove embedded contaminants from the porous glass, then you can use the Invisible Glass "glass cleaner."
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10