Auralic Aries compared to Aries Mini

pglbook
pglbook Posts: 2,163
edited June 2019 in Going Digital
What is the difference between an Auralic Aries (the non-Mini, non-LE version; with external psu and 2 femto clocks) and Aries Mini? I have been looking to get an Aries Mini but they are incredibly scarce on the used market. The Aries seems a little easier to find but would be around $350-$400 more than a Mini (if found). Is the Aries worth the extra money? Would it be a big step up in sound quality and design over the Mini? Thanks.

I recently got a North Star Excelsio DAC and am looking for a good streamer that won't break my bank. I am a total digital music newbie and would just like to get a nice streamer that is not too expensive in order to get my feet wet in the digital music universe.

Does it make sense to pay $825 for a used Aries or should I just save up the money for a new model like the Aries G1 or Lumin U1 Mini (which couled take some time because I believe they are both around $2k new ).

Thanks for your suggestions.

Comments

• pglbook
    Thanks, Skip. As always, great advice. Much appreciated.

I would love to get the new Aries G1 or Lumin U1 Mini, but those are around $2k new, correct? if so, that would be beyond my present budget. Although I assume that the G1 and U1 Mini would both be a big step up from the Aries, correct?

• pglbook
    I just closed the deal on the Aries! $800 cash and local pickup. The Seller was less than 2 hours from me and we agreed to meet this weekend at a location only half an hour from me.

I am happy...but also a bit stressed at spending that kind of money (although I think I got a very good deal) and also a bit nervous about how much I now have to learn.

But all is good.

Thanks to all for the support and for answering my (many) questions!
    And, be forewarned, I will have many more once I get the Aries, ha.

Thanks again. It is greatly appreciated!
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    So how are you digging it?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • pglbook
    edited June 2019
    erniejade wrote: »
    So how are you digging it?

Pickup got delayed so Seller is delivering it to me in a few days.

I'll let you know my impressions once I take possession and have everything set up and running (the "set up and running" part will be the challenging part, lol). Thanks.
  • erniejade
    I have used BubbleUpnp, the bluesound app, Lumin, and the lighting. I thought the lighting app was easy to setup.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • pglbook
    DSkip wrote: »
    The Lightning App is fantastic and walks you through the process. It really is an extremely polished app that is mainstream but not gimmicky. You can also try the Lumin app. It’s not as polished but still fantastic and has a different approach to the user experience.

Thanks, Skip. That is good to hear.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited June 2019
    OKay as a owner of the Mini with a 1 TB SSD drive storing all my digital files and many in the hirez 24/96 or 24/192 format or DSD version in digital I love it when ran by a better DAC!
    As it can travel well :) all you need is a cheap wireless router not hook to the internet (or it can be if you prefer) but this allows the Mini to talk to a Apple mini 2 or something like it to or apple product just to control the mini and give you a Graphical interface to make play list and/or look thru the contents on my internal SSD drive so no outside sources like streaming services are needed B) this is what is magical about getting one and I pray mine never fails as I may never find another for the price!

2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • erniejade
    Voltz, I was actually thinking of added a 1tb ssd to mine. It seems Samsung and WD 1 tb drives are on sale often and worth the 100-120$ to add one vs running it from my NAS.