Can I connect the subwoofer Polk PSW505 to other speakers of different brand?

Hi everyone, I'm really interested into this subwoofer because it seems very powerful with his 300 watts rms (I still don't own this sub).

I've got an audio system Logitech z906 with 5 speakers a subwoofer and a console to control the audio of the various component. The problem is that the subwoofer is not really that good and I want to change it; after lots of research of the best price/quality subwoofer I encountered this sub.

My question is: Is it possible to connect those 5 speakers to the back of the sub (even if not all of them)? Do I need an external receiver? If yes, which one do you recommend?

I don't need the Logitech console so I can sacrifice it, also I don't even use all the 5 speakers (actually I'm using only four because I have more power on the sub, for some reasons.

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    What's the end goal of this system? If it's just a computer rig, the 505 will do fine, but they are known for amplifier issues. Connect the front left and right speakers to it's high level inputs, or if the logitech controller has rca outputs, use those. Then leave the other 3 speakers connected normally. If it's for movie watching, time to step up the game. You'll want a real receiver, speakers and better sub, but that will be an investment.
  • Antares95
    Antares95 Posts: 4
    edited June 2019
    FestYboy wrote: »
    What's the end goal of this system? If it's just a computer rig, the 505 will do fine, but they are known for amplifier issues. Connect the front left and right speakers to it's high level inputs, or if the logitech controller has rca outputs, use those. Then leave the other 3 speakers connected normally. If it's for movie watching, time to step up the game. You'll want a real receiver, speakers and better sub, but that will be an investment.

My speakers are connected on the back of my sub in the same way as they would connect on the back of the Polk sub (the speakers wires are splitted into two, one red and one black).
    My system would be used to play music most of the time so I don't need a very expensive subwoofer (I just want to shake my room and that's it to be honest).
    What I have been thinking is to get a receiver and connect the Polk sub through the LFE cable, but I've been reading online that I will lose the possibility to use the amplifier on the back of this sub.

What do you suggest?
    Post edited by Antares95 on
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    No, you can’t. You’re sub is also you AVR/ control center and powers all your speakers. The Polk can only power itself and pass through an unamplified signal to other speakers.

The Logitech is an all in one system. While you could technically replace the speakers while keeping the sub, I would t recommend that. If you want a better sub you have to start from scratch. Sorry.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    @rooftop59 has it: the logitech uses the sub to run everything, where the Polk is a stand alone sub that can only power itself and allow high level to pass through it when using the appropriate connections.

@Antares95 Since you're concentrated on 2 channel music, I suggest starting from scratch and start with a good integrated, 2 speakers, and NO sub. I suggest you take account of the room you intend to use, it's size and your listening position. That will help dictate which products to purchase.
  • Antares95
    FestYboy wrote: »
    @rooftop59 has it: the logitech uses the sub to run everything, where the Polk is a stand alone sub that can only power itself and allow high level to pass through it when using the appropriate connections.

@Antares95 Since you're concentrated on 2 channel music, I suggest starting from scratch and start with a good integrated, 2 speakers, and NO sub. I suggest you take account of the room you intend to use, it's size and your listening position. That will help dictate which products to purchase.

Ok guys, thank you a lot.
    I've been asking this question online for days and nobody really gave an answer.
    I just wanted to know if my speakers would work once connected to the Polk sub because I didn't want to take the sub and then keep it in a box because my speakers aren't working.

So now suppose I get this Polk subwoofer, which speakers should I buy? Do I need a receiver then?

I prefer a 5.1 surround system of course, but I don't want to spend too many money (I have other things more important to think about at the moment) so I can decide to get a 2.1 system if necessary
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    If you want, you can start off with the sub and a receiver and keep using your Logitech speakers for now, allowing you to slowly upgrade your speakers starting with the mains.

The three best consumer receiver choices are Yamaha, denon, and marantz. I would recommend getting something with preouts, but you Matt not ever need that. This would be a good option:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3300w/denon-avr-x3300w-7.2-ch-x-105-watts-a/v-receiver/1.html
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Antares95
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    If you want, you can start off with the sub and a receiver and keep using your Logitech speakers for now, allowing you to slowly upgrade your speakers starting with the mains.

The three best consumer receiver choices are Yamaha, denon, and marantz. I would recommend getting something with preouts, but you Matt not ever need that. This would be a good option:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3300w/denon-avr-x3300w-7.2-ch-x-105-watts-a/v-receiver/1.html

Ok so with a receiver I can still use my speakers right? And with this receiver can I have the best out of this sub? I don't want to push it to the limit, but I want it to feel good in my small room
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Antares95 wrote: »
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Ok so with a receiver I can still use my speakers right? And with this receiver can I have the best out of this sub? I don't want to push it to the limit, but I want it to feel good in my small room

You can use your speakers with a receiver, but your not going to want to. The Logitech system was designed to work with the other components that came with it. The sound may not blend as well between the small speakers and a larger subwoofer.

You need the receiver to power the speakers, as the Logitech has the amplifier built into the subwoofer for them. That is why the sub sounds not too good, because it has to share the power with the speakers.

A separate subwoofer, like the Polk, uses it's amplifier just for the subwoofer, that's it. A receiver, uses it's built in amplifier for the speakers. Follow ? So while you can use your Logitech speakers with a receiver, you'll want to upgrade to normal speakers in no time.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable